john dennett Guest

Default Steel I beam cut in half

Just wanted to see what comments I could get about this. I wanted to be able to give my client some decient information but I have been unable to get any hard information from the books I have. What I have is a steel beam which appears to have been cut. In the first pic the cut is directly above the expansion tank over the water heater. There is about 2 feet of cantilevered beam on the right side and about 10 feet on the left. In the second pic you can see a close up of what I think has been cut. The left side resting on three 2x4s. The next real colum to the left is a 4inch steel post about 10 feet away. Am I crazy or is this way wrong??? By the way there are two stories about this.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Steel I beam cut in half

And how do you think they were cut? That straight? And Why would anyone want to. Do you think the weight of those beams may have caused the SE to decide on 2?

I'd like to hear the second story, please. I don't like the first one.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

The beams look like they were installed like that, not necessarily cut afterwards. Should have better support than 2x4's
    - are there footings under the post and 2x4
    - open framing, no fire separation at hwt
    - is that cpvc tied to the copper at hwt, proper couplings? does your code allow that crap?
    - what's up with the flex hose, going to a register?, not properly secured
    - is that a GFI those pumps are plugged into?
    - freon line doesn't look secured
    - whether the cantilever on the beam is ok for 2' or 10'(unlikely) will depend on beam weight (W20,25,30etc) and height. Call for SE or Arch to spec if ok
    - check if your plumbing code calls for a TEE at change of direction for clean-out instead of 90's
    Just a few thoughts, good luck

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

I would really expect to see those supported by permanent steel columns - my vote is a field mod by the builder. Check the plans, would be my advice.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

John,

Were does all the tangled cord go and what does it supply power to ?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

john dennett Guest

a lot of the plastic pipe and low voltage wire is from central vac. Yeah the copper to plastic is typical around here. No that was not GFCI to the sump and what I was trying to say but failed to do was that this is in the basement of a two story home.

john dennett Guest

One last thing, the reason I though it had been cut was the wood above has a kerf at the exact same location. Its hard to see in the pic but it is there.

The cantilever dosen't bother me, but the steel beam on wood supports does.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

When a beam or column is cut in the field, it's usually 'burned' with a toch. I see no evidence of that.

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)