Brian Thomas Guest

Default correct trap setup?

I came across this trap setup in friends house yesterday. It has a P trap on it but also reminded me of an S trap with it going thru the floor like that. Is this trap setup correct?

It also looks like the drain goes uphill as it goes around the bend there but Im not sure if that is an illusion But im more concerend with the trap setup itself. The pipe from left to right is the pipe coming from the disposal.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: correct trap setup?

Brian,

Looks to me like it goes horizontal long enough to not qualify as an S-trap.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

My recollection is that we had a recent thread on something very close to this (but I could not find it) recently and the end result was that, yes, it was effectively an 'S' trap, and, 'where's the required vent'.

We meandered into discussions of "crown venting', etc.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

I kinda thought the left pipe you say comes from the disposal was the vent leading into the wall.

Brian Thomas Guest

Yeah jerry, I thought there was a thread like this one too and I looked but couldnt find it. Unfortunately I couldnt remember what the end result was

christopher bittner Guest

The work is very sloppy. Elbows are forced and the sink extension drain pipe could be lowered to accomodate any problems with pitch. Does it work? Chris Bittner

Mitchell Toelle Guest

Appears to me that the distance between the trap and the downturn is too short and that the same affect that happens in an obvious S-trap is likely (very possibly) to happen here. Error on the safe side and call it an S-trap. Let the Sellers...or whoever...deal with the correction. Refer to a licensed Pluming Contractor. Serve your client.

Mitch Toelle
    HomeAware Property Inspections
    Bakersfield, CA

the 90 on top of the pipe going into the floor should be a san-tee with the vent going up from there. some allow a mobile home type vent at that point. i don't unless it is a mobile home. is that a 2" drain pipe thru the floor? should be!

Joshua Hardesty Guest

christopher bittner Guest

Brian: I don't know the name of the vent for kitchen island applications. Is that type of vent allowed here? I under- stand what you said about the San-tee. thanks. Is there a distance requirement from the top of the tee to the vent? I imagine this type of vent is what you are talking about for mobile homes Chris