Philippe Heller Guest

Default Help wanted - San Diego

We are looking for an experienced 1099 inspector in San Diego. We are only considering inspectors who have been in the game for a few years, no new inspectors. We are too busy to train from scratch. We are looking for someone who has industry contacts (agents) who can start right away.

We provide a generous split; certain equipment such as IR camera; bonus plan; E&O insurance; all back office support.

Preferred requirements:
    3 or more years of inspection experience
    Excellent verbal and written communication skills
    Good industry relationships (must know agents already)
    Punctual (which means 10 minutes early)
    Willing to work some weekends
    Homegauge User or familiar with computer generated reports
    Prefer NACHI certificiation or CREIA
    Reliable vehicle
    No "Agent haters"

Please e-mail only resume or questions to me at: pheller@sdinspections.com

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Help wanted - San Diego

I was getting excited unitl i saw that part about agents.

Ron

i was willing to relocate until I saw the NACHI requirement

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Preferred requirements:
    Reliable vehicle
    No "Agent haters"

If someone met all of the above, why would he be having to go to work for someone else.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

As Rick said

They can go to work for you, split what they make with you, already has there own contacts.

Even If they work half as much as they would working for you and make x amount, Why would one want to work twice as much for someone else and still only make x amount.

Not kicking your request, I just don get it.

Usually when one gets to that point after working for someone a while then they go in the opposite direction, out on their own.

Philippe Heller Guest

Guys, there are those people who don't want the hassles associated with running a business:

bookkeeping, answering phones, setting appointments, marketing, paying for insurance, phones, having shirts made, etc.

They just want to show up and go to the job site. We pay a generous split which, if you consider the above expenses, is better than what you end up with if you try to do it all yourself. If you have time to do all the stuff listed above, your may not be working as much as you could. My guys are doing three inspections a day nearly every day.

The offer is there for an inspector who just wants to inspect and get paid and not worry about the daily pain in the butt stuff.

For those of you who can juggle it all, good for you. We wish everyone all the success they can achieve. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post

I just don get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly;53144[SIZE=4
    after working for someone a while then they go [/size] .
    Ted ,

I think the above
    section of your quote is what prompted Mr. Heller's Thread.

I was going to say Don didn't get it either as for the reason for Philippi's search for a new employee)( but could not bring myself to pull the trigger

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

ah-ah - "Agent Friendly" aka, "Bottom Feeders." My goodness I feel sorry for their clients, but the good news is it will mean more work for the HI litigation support folks in the San Diego area.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

His guys are doing 3 insp a day?
    - I don't think 'those' inspectors are hanging around this board.
    - Can anyone say, 'crappy tells the client not much of anything useful checkbox report'
    - I bet they have great looking reports though that include ads and referrals
    - Do I sound like a detailed inspecting, agent hating snob?
    I guess I don't qualify.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Philippe Heller Guest

I'm so glad all you guys are attacking me for offering a job. That's great. And you all make excellent assumptions about my business.
    Check box reports?
    Ads in my reports?
    Bottom feeders?
    Litigation?

Jerry, We have never been sued over any of the thousands of inspections we have done. And we work with many of the top agents in San Diego. I agree that many agents are dishonest, but we shoot straight with the clients. Our reports have caused many deals to fall through because they are honest evaluations of a property.

Any inspector who is a complete jerk with every agent won't be working for them again. We just want someone who can deal with the agent, ignore their "fluff" talk and give the client a good report. It is possible.

Whether you want to believe it or not, there are inspectors out there with experience, who work for another company, and may be looking for a better position. Those inspectors may be stuck using check box reports and want to graduate to learning about IR, software generated reports, etc. At the same time they don't want to bother with starting a business due to the high costs, etc.

Here's a suggestion, if you don't need a job - good for you. But why knock someone who is offering a job? I don't get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Heller View Post
    Guys, there are those people who don't want the hassles associated with running a business:

bookkeeping, answering phones, setting appointments, marketing, paying for insurance, phones, having shirts made, etc.

They just want to show up and go to the job site. We pay a generous split which, if you consider the above expenses, is better than what you end up with if you try to do it all yourself. If you have time to do all the stuff listed above, your may not be working as much as you could. My guys are doing three inspections a day nearly every day.

The offer is there for an inspector who just wants to inspect and get paid and not worry about the daily pain in the butt stuff.

For those of you who can juggle it all, good for you. We wish everyone all the success they can achieve. Thanks for the feedback.

Reality check.....
    If I'm doing 3 inspections a day, I'm going to pull in $4,500 + per 5 day week.

Seems to me that a dumb blonde secretary could take care of "bookkeeping, answering phones, setting appointments, marketing, paying for insurance, phones, having shirts made, etc

How much of that $4,500 would it take to keep the secretary happy?

Oh.. and not having to give up your hard worked for contacts?

I suppose you'll find an idiot here and there to fall for your scheme. The sad part is, they'll wind up inspecting someones home.

Critical Home Inspection Services
    www.Home2Spec.com

Philippe Heller Guest

Holly ****! You guys are a bunch of assholes. I've tried to be nice and honest with my responses. But why the dog pile?

Not one of you even knows how fair our pay or "split" is!! We are not taking 90% of the fees! We are paying a great percentage of the fees to the inspector.

Are you all that insecure that we are successfully growing our company? Your businesses must be sucking wind if you are that threatened by someone who can offer a job to handle all the work we are getting.

VICTOR: You said we can find an idiot? We specifically don't want a guy just out of inspector school because we don't want an idiot! That's why I asked for experience. DON'T YOU GET THAT???

WHY DON'T YOU ALL JUST MIND YOUR OWN F'N BUSINESS

Ted Menelly Guest

That wasn't very nice Victor.

After all he is just offering work for possibly someone who needs it.

As far as 3 inspections a day. There really isn't enough time in a day to do three inspections and 3 reports and go over inspections with the buyers and follow up with anything.

Personally, inspecting, doing the report, going over your findings even in a small house is going to eat up 4 hours. Hit the drive thru for a sandwich, stop for gas and a pee, get to the next job (who knows how far away) (did I ask who is paying for this gas) inspect, report, go over your findings, off to the next job, stop for something to drink and maybe more to eat, get to the next inspection, do the report, go over the report, do follow up blah, blah, blah.

Driving, all the inspections and reporting, food, drink. My goodness, can we say 18 hour work day, go to sleep and do it all over again.

Half the going minimal rate for what home inspectors are basing there hourly rate x 3 inspections a day at 18 hours. That in itself is over 3000 a week with another 3000 a week for the boss.

That's all I am talking about. I worked some form of piece work in construction off and on in the slow times thru out my life. It is dieing a slow death.

No kicking you Mr Heller. Just stating my own opinion.

For those that need work because they just cannot get it, it could be a good temp fix for them.

Trying to get out of the family after getting in and getting work on their own after signing a no compete clause is a little tough unless they move. Those compete clauses usually state that any realtor that has been referring them while with you, even though they were originally their realtor anyway, they cannot accept work from, or pay the price.

Philippe Heller Guest

Thanks Ted for at least seeing this with some clarity. If I can shed some light on the three inspections per day, that would only happen if one or two of those was a condo. And our software helps us complete the report onsite. Luckily in San diego, Like Vegas, Phoenix, etc, most of the house are newer.

We don't have a non-compete clause. Those aren't worth the paper they are written on in California unless you are a scientist or something. We offer bonuses, insurance, steady flow of work, etc.

Using the logic of some of the posters, a general contractor would be an idiot for assuming that a carpeneter would need a job. After all, if the carpeneter were skilled, he would be a GC on his own. Why would he need a job??? There are thousands of very capable people in the work force. Why doesn't everyone have their own business?

And I ask everyone, what are you going to do if your business grows beyond what you can handle on your own? Don't you think you might hire someone with some experience if you can?

Philippe
    Send me a copy of your standard inspection report; address & client’s name removed of course, the official name and address of your company and I'll be happy to apologize if I misjudged your advertisement on this BB.

Jerry McCarthy

mike huntzinger Guest

That generous split is that 90-10 for the company

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Philippe
    Send me a copy of your standard inspection report; address & client’s name removed of course, the official name and address of your company and I'll be happy to apologize if I misjudged your advertisement on this BB.

Jerry: here's what I found. http://sdinspections.com/Sample-report.pdf
    and.... About Home Inspections from The San Diego Real Estate Inspection Co.
    Hmmmmm.

Philippe: Would you share with us what the spilt is? or is it proprietary info.

Ted: My inspections are comprised of drive time (varies), +/- 3 hrs. on site, 2 hrs. + doc prep., client and agent time (varies)
    Like you, 3 a day leads to law suits.

Philippe: quote "Holly ****! You guys are a bunch of assholes." and "WHY DON'T YOU ALL JUST MIND YOUR OWN F'N BUSINESS"

Touchy, touchy.... just the kind of guy I'd like to work with/for.

"We are looking for someone who has industry contacts (agents) who can start right away."
    Would you still hire an inspector without those contacts?

Last edited by Victor DaGraca; 08-09-2008 at 11:15 AM.
    www.Home2Spec.com

It's typical of many on this board...

A simple and clear post was made offering employment to an experienced inspector, and everyone trashes it.

Heaven forbid someone is moving and needs a job; or someone's business is way off due to the economy; or is tired of running a business and just wants to inspect.

Philippe has started excellent discussions on the HomeGuage board, offering very good advice to other inspectors when asked, and appears to have a great sense for running a multi-inspector firm.

His post doesn't deserve all the negative hoopla.

Dom.

Thanks Victor and after reading a sample report all I can say is, "Oh my God!"
    His price list confirms my opinion about his lower depths dining and when folks come on Brian's BB and present posts as Philippe did what are we supposed to do, applaud? 3 inspections per day? bah-humbug, and who defends the 1099 inspectors in court?

Jerry McCarthy

Philippe Heller Guest

Dom, thanks for the feedback.

This area of the discussion group is for EMPLOYMENT posts.

All I'm doing is trying to run an honest business. We seem to be doing that because we keep growing. New clients find us on their own and are happy with our services. We've never beed sued in 5 years of doing business. And yes, agents like us too because of our fair reporting. Anyone who thinks that having agents refer us is kissing butt, well they are not being honest. We all have agents who refer business to us. What am I supposed to do when I get more requests for business than we can handle? Just turn it away? No. I offer someone a job.

Victor, in the original post, it says "Preferred Requirements" not mandatory. If someone has that experience - great! I understand that those guys could start their own business and more power to them. But what am I supposed to say "no experience required?" And yes, the split is confidential because employees get a different cut based on length of employment, experience, etc.

Jerry, that sample report is just that - a sample. Many sections are omitted and it is a compilation. Would you put your most scathing report out there? I see you don't put any examples of your work on your site. We stricly follow the CREIA SOA.

We pay E&O and general liability for the inspector, we pay bonuses, we provide equipement and money towards gas, we maintain the website, we pay for software and tools, etc. It's not a bad gig for our guys.

And our prices are at the higher end of the HI business in San Diego. We are not "bottom feeders". I know prices are higher in Norther CA which they should be because many of the houses are older. We are not commercial building consultants ($3,000 retainer) and no one questioned your business model OR professional back ground.

There are guys here whose businesses have slowed or they have been layed off from the down turn in the market. I'd like to offer those guys a job if they want one. I never promised 3 inspections a day. It is just the reality of how busy we are and only came up after you guys questioned my motives.

Victor, maybe you are just old school, but with proper training and the right software most tract house inspections are completed and delivered in 3 - 3 1/2 hours. Condo's are generally no more than two hours. Ask just about anyone using a good software program. And my offer is not a Scheme as you put it. Did I say anywhere that we wanted fees up front or anything like that? Where could you possibly get that this is a scheme?

Re-read the thread. I don't think I was out of line on any level. My job post was simple, and if someone is intereted I'd like to talk to them. After all, this thread is for EMPLOYMENT posts. What do you think that means? You guys jumped my case from the start.

Philippe Heller Guest

... And Victor, you should not be judging anyone's reports. I've reviewed yours.

http://home2spec.com/reports.htm

Truly amateur. You were smart to take that page down.

No, Philippe.
    Your header specifically states "We are looking for an experienced 1099 inspector in San Diego. We are only considering inspectors who have been in the game for a few years, no new inspectors. We are too busy to train from scratch. We are looking for someone who has industry contacts (agents) who can start right away. "

The "prefered requirements are;
    "Preferred requirements:
    Reliable vehicle
    No "Agent haters"

"And my offer is not a Scheme as you put it. Did I say anywhere that we wanted fees up front or anything like that? Where could you possibly get that this is a scheme? "

Maybe it's the paranoid in me that smells septic overflow when, on one hand the seeker claims to have more work than he can handle, ("We are too busy to train from scratch.")
    yet, is "looking for someone who has industry contacts (agents) who can start right away. "

"Victor, maybe you are just old school, but with proper training and the right software most tract house inspections are completed and delivered in 3 - 3 1/2 hours."

I'd like a show of hands:
    How many Inspectors can conduct a proper inspection, signed, sealed, delivered in 3 1/2 Hours?

"I never promised 3 inspections a day."

"My guys are doing three inspections a day nearly every day."

And lastly;

"... And Victor, you should not be judging anyone's reports. I've reviewed yours."

I did not pass judgement on your report. I merely Provided WC Jerry the link where he could find it.
    You're making things up Heller.

As far as my report goes http://home2spec.com/reports.htm

You are absolutely right. It was put together by an amateur programmer, me, using the most powerful word processing software on the planet, MS word.
    I'm sorry that it isn't the same quality as the one provided to you by "HomeGauge" However, it works for me and my clients. It covers everything that is "inspectable", and then some. Lots o' pictures too.
    And honestly, I don't see much difference between yours and mine except of course it is mine.

And... How did you get to see it if it was taken down?

www.Home2Spec.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Most of the homes I inspect are 20 years old or newer. A big majority of those homes are 10 or less.

With out checking records I would say 5 years old and newer are a pretty good make up of what I inspect. With the exception of the many larger homes I do my inspections and report are in the 3 to max 3 1/2 hours and out of the home in 4 hours after going over things with my client. I am a firm believer in doing the complete inspection and report (or most of anyway) before the clients get there. I almost (politely) insist they do not show up till I am almost done. This makes for a better and quicker inspection and report. If they are there the whole time it could increase the inspection and report by 2 hours. At the price inspectors (almost all) charge in north central Texas a 6 hr inspection and report is about enough to keep you poor.

Many of the larger homes I do will take a day plus and a return visit or 2. They pay well. Those large homes are almost always new or close to it.

Just thought I would add my $1.50 in there (it use to be 2 cent, inflation you know)

The report is being done as I inspect. As at the same time. Can't do that if the clients are there. No interruptions. No breaks. No stopping and starting. Full on inspection and report.

daniel nantell Guest

Seen a add recently for Home Inspectors, they had a 50/50 split, $20 per Inspection , you get $10 and the Company gets $10. You'll only being losing $25 per inspection with the cost of gas and Insurance.

If nothing else, this was a lively discussion! Quite entertaining. Business must be way slow to have so much time to alot to trashing someone's offer of employment on the EMPLOYMENT thread. Nice bunch of friendly guys here.

I have been inspecting for 6 years, with 2500 under my belt working in a system just like this and **** howdy, I made good money. I have never been sued. It is possible to do three a day (just not preferable), I've done it during the peak in 05. Kinda sucks because of the very long day. Not my favorite thing but if the business is there, grab it while you can. Wish I had some of those now!

At this point I would consider taking him up on the offer but it's 200 miles away so not workable. Lately I have been inspecting anything that stood still long enough if someone would pay for it. FHA,HUD, Thermal scans, HI. It all adds up and keeps me off the streets. (you know, with the shopping cart ) Too entrenched in this area to realistically consider moving.
    Wife has great job with the City that pays the health insurance, family and all that stuff.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504