Thread: Fireplace glass

Default Fireplace glass

This is the first time i've seen this. Certainly looks like it was pro installed but?
    No markings on glass, good seal.
    Anyone seen this.
    Yes the back of the firebox has been replaced with a pane of glass and now you have a view from the room on the other side.
    Good idea?
    Sointenly, yukyukyuk

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Fireplace glass

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    This is the first time i've seen this. Certainly looks like it was pro installed but?
    No markings on glass, good seal.
    Anyone seen this.
    Yes the back of the firebox has been replaced with a pane of glass and now you have a view from the room on the other side.
    Good idea?
    Sointenly, yukyukyuk
    Opinion is still out on the fireplace glass but I gotta tell yeah.

"Sointenly"

No Telling you are from New England and a Moe, Larry and Curly lover

Yeah!,But if you take a look around the North East you would see that they built or repaired alot of the homes we inspect. I guess that would be barbeque with a view in your neck of the woods. HAHA

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Yeah!,But if you take a look around the North East you would see that they built or repaired alot of the homes we inspect.
    I hope so because if they did not you must be getting a minimum of 400 and up for an inspection. So much old, basements, serious amount of all wood siding, old electric, or mixed, Old boilers and such. It must make for a seriously long report. Did I mention snow and ice? Oh yeah, did I mention snow and ice? Did I say remodel.

I lived in mass for thirty six years. I remodelled a lot of homes and inspected many as well.

500+ and yes LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG reports

Kevin Stewart Guest

If the glass used as the back wall of the firebox is rated to 1400 degrees this remodel may well work well, as long as all considerations were made at the throat and damper level, and clearance to combustibles are maintained.
    Danger..if the glass is not rated for 1400 degrees and is a cheaper product the glass could explode when the fire is at its zenith.
    need to write it up to have the seller show what type of glass has been used as the back wall. Also remember clearances on the glass wall side need to be strict as the glass does not only reflect heat back into the open side of the fireplace but also through the glass, possibly need to increase the clearances on the glass side. I would treat as an unlisted appliance and have 36 inches to combustables.

Kevin T Stewart
    F.I.R.E. EDC

Thanks Kevin, Yes I put in in for futher evaluation by YOU!! HAHA