Default I-Joists (defect or not?)

Dear Fellow Inspectors,
    Recently performed an inspection on a four year old Parade home and noticed some of the floor joists out of plumb. Furthermore, some of the web members were bowing also. Personally I think it was just sloppy workmanship on the builders part, but obviously the more out of plumb an I-joist is the more comprimised it becomes. I'd like to hear what others might think about this situation and/or your recommendations (if any). I recommended that they be further evaluated by a licensed builder (and not THE builder). In addition, I said that additional blocking (e.g. squash blocks) may be needed.

Thanks,
    RJDalga, CRI
    Kalamazoo, MI

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI

Default Re: I-Joists (defect or not?)

Robert, they look modified and where's the blocking? I believe that's an automatic recommendation for a PE review.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

The usual requirement is to "install so that top and bottom flanges are within 1/2 inch of true vertical alignment".

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

I agree it does look like sloppy work. Also looks like someone beat it without a block to try to straighten it out.
    However, you just don't know that for sure. It may have moved since install.
    - maybe there is movement in the house
    - maybe the subfloor isn't glued to the I-joist or properly nailed.
    Personally I would find an I-joist install/info pdf and include it with the report. Also put in report the potential problems, blah blah and have someone look at it.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Mitchell Toelle Guest

As Jerry M. said, PE review. Not "Builder review"! A Builder is not qualified to certify that install, or any install or modification. Even if they were willing to certify it would be a serious mistake on your part to have only recommended anything short of "PE".

Good luck.

Mitch T.

Jack Lancelotta Guest

My first post I think.

Review I-joist problems by I-joist mfgs rep or PE.

Job site damage prior to installation is a possibility. Damaged when dropped or run over by pickup on job site. Impossible to say if squash blocks or lateral blocking were required there, but probably were. Should be able to have the local mfg rep of the joist brand look at the floor. Might even be able to get the plan specific to that house. "Damaged" as such, blocking is probably the best solution at this point.

Thanks to everyone who responded and confirmed my suspisions.

RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI