Default Greenburg KS tornado

Amazing photos at Aerials of Greensburg Tornado Damage

Sorry, that's Greensburg. Can't edit the title, I guess.

OREP Insurance
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: Greenburg KS tornado

Devastating is an understatement.
    I have been through a similar event years ago in the Paris, TX tornado of 1982. Eight people killed, hundreds wounded and 1400 homes destroyed. Looking at the photos brings back lots of memories.
    I know folks that for years would sleep in storm shelters if it was just cloudy.
    That kind of thing leaves a lasting impression on you, if you are fortunate enough to make it through.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I heard it was F5, the highest wind category.

That photo looks like part of South Dade (Miami-Dade County) after Hurricane Andrew.

The bad thing about tornadoes is that they can be so powerful.

The good thing about them (compared to hurricanes) is that they are so small (relatively speaking).

It is truly amazing that only about 8 (that I heard anyway) died. There is virtually nothing left of that town. That is 8 too many, but still ... it could easily have been more.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I survived a tornado in GA back in '73. Took the roof off over my head. Killed two people. Should have killed me. I always relive it when I see pics of tornado damage or hear survivors tell how it sounded, how their ears popped, etc.

Sunday (less than 36 hours after the tornado) I got a call from Parsons Brinkerhoff (a FEMA contractor) wanting to deploy me to Kansas for the tornado. (That is a record for me - usually I won't get a call for several days after a disaster). Unfortunately I couldn't go because I was out of state at the time. I would have liked working that tornado and helping those affected by it. I wish the victims the best.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com