Jon mackay Guest

Default Metalbestos chimney at deck

I found this chimney which is improperly secured to the deck railings and does not meet the minimum height 2' above anything within 10'.
    I was not sure if there would be a requirement to install some protection around the chimney at the deck area.
    It does not look right but I can't find any info on this type of install.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

David Banks Guest

Default Re: Metalbestos chimney at deck

Found this. Do not have time to look it over.

Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Jon mackay View Post
    and does not meet the minimum height 2' above anything within 10'.
    That "within 10 feet" is for chimneys. For Type B gas vents it is "within 8 feet". Looks like it might meet that?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jon mackay Guest

Sorry, this is a wood burning free standing stove chimney, I should have mentioned that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon mackay View Post
    Sorry, this is a wood burning free standing stove chimney, I should have mentioned that.
    Is it outside, like on a covered patio or is that deck over the roof of a room in the house and the stove is inside the house?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Exclamation Re: Metalbestos chimney at deck

Chimney must be protected from contact or physical damage and properly supported.
    Bob,
    from SC

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Jon mackay Guest

It is a free standing stove in an addition with a metal roof and a deck on top of the metal roof.

Gary Smith Guest

just some common sense notes:

that strapping most likely will cut you if your not careful, and hanging out on the deck at night or if the deck had a few folks on it and someone pushed someone else i could see where you might be bleeding soon.

I would not leave this pipe standing where someone could get to like that cause eventually some nut is going to tie something to it, lean against it, have something on the deck and have something fall against it, etc.. That strapping is there to keep the wind from blowing it over.

not to mention that it looks (to me...but no one asked my opinion on that) like crap standing there on the deck.

I'd cover that baby with something decorative ... more wood around it would seem appropriate... that way if you needed to extend the pipe to meet code...no biggy...

Jon mackay Guest

I agree, it does look terrible.
    Thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Smith View Post
    I'd cover that baby with something decorative ... more wood around it would seem appropriate... that way if you needed to extend the pipe to meet code...no biggy...

Actually, it is a "biggy".

Anything you cover that with will just become a largeR 'sail' and be blown over in the wind easIER.

If you intend to build a wood chimney enclosure around it, you need to allow for minimum clearance from the chimney, supporting the chimney tie-offs, and have a structural engineer design the appropriate structure and how-to-heck-to-keep-that-structure-from-falling-over-in-the-breeze.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Gary Smith Guest

yea, that chimney is not rocket science though. I've built tons of them covering that size pipe. 24 X 24 inches will cover it. it just needs to meet the height requirements for the jurisdiction and just plain ole good building practices. the difference with this deal though is how it would have to be braced. normally there is a roof to come out of and my chimney corners would have been brought up from the attic where I could get some good bearing strength. this thing (if they decided to cover it) would have to be paid attention to...i don't think this chimney could just sit on the deck without some kind of help to keep it from blowing over.

the sad part of all this code stuff is that the house has to be in an area that follows or enforces a code to begin with. there are over 60 counties in Mississippi that have no code at all. the home owner/builder/remodeler/anyone can do what the heck they want.

Mississippi isn't the only state without a uniform code...