Default New Home Flashing

This is a pic of the end of a piece of clothes line sticking out of a corner of the chimney flashing. There is another the same around the other side. Anyone have any ideas. Ive never seen this before.
    OH yeah. It's also been resealed with plumbers putty. NEw 2.5 mil home

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: New Home Flashing

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    This is a pic of the end of a piece of clothes line sticking out of a corner of the chimney flashing. There is another the same around the other side. Anyone have any ideas. Ive never seen this before.
    Too large to be mason's twine. Umm... a wick? Haven't seen anything like that either.

OH yeah. It's also been resealed with plumbers putty. NEw 2.5 mil home
    And just what's wrong with plumbers' putty? It's good enough for a plumber, isn't it?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

imported_John Smith Guest

Looks like they used a piece of small diameter rope to fill in the gap so they woudlnt have to use so much "plumbers putty". Home builder profit margins are small now you know. Dont want to use to much of that expensive "plumbers putty". Didnt they used to (or maybe still do) the same thing on log cabins between logs?

Kevin Barre Guest

Some old school masons would leave a short length of small diameter rope in joints. They would then pull this out after the mortar had set to leave a small weep hole.

I can't quite tell what they're doing here. The upper flashing is one piece -- not like a conventional counter flashing design. And it appears to have crimped edges, indicating some other type of flashing attached at the upper edges. Yet the base flashing also appears to be one-piece -- not step flashing.

Weird.

My money says that there is an unusual flashing design and that the rope is intended to be removed to leave a weep hole. But for the life of me, I can't see why they'd do it this way.

Yet the base flashing also appears to be one-piece -- not step flashing.
    Might be a metal roof?

-- There is another the same around the other side. Anyone have any ideas.
    If it's purpose is not for a weep, could have been attached to the underside of the flashing and tied around the chimney to aid installation of the flashing then cutoff.
    Yeah that's right " I don't have a clue ! "

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I'm leaning toward Billy's idea. The flashing is installed under a lip that was grouted into the brick joints. The flashing goes up under the lip. I think the rope was used as a spacer to create tension against the fixed flashing edge creating a tight seal. Not tight enough I guess so the plumber lent a hand, or putty if you will. The weep hole would work if the flashing behind was continuous but as it is I think it will wick water down behind the flashing. I think there were leaks in the recent past and thats why the putty is there. Putties good if no UV but I don't think Plumbers putty has and protection. Mabey I'll try some out at my next golf outing.
    Anyway, Open to more ideas. Mabey I should have lit it.

HEEHAW BILLY

---- Maybe I should have lit it.

HEEHAW
    BILLY
    Yeah Good Idea Wayne.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Why don't my icons post when I click on them?

OK so it's a weeping rope. But why in a chimney. Anyone seen one in a chimney before?

Exterior holes in chimneys were sealed using an unapproved sealant material ( plumbers putty) for this application.
    #3 in pdf attachment " Provide a minimum of two weep holes ---

Attached Files Attached Files

You are the MAN Billy. Nice stuff!! I found alot searching but that's a good one. The more you learn the more you learn you need to learn more.
    Thanks,
    The Donkey

It is a wick. I see them from time to time on high end home and on commercial buildings. Most of the time they have been trimmed flush with the wall.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Looks like the guy was trained with the right method and principles. He just hasn't managed to get the quality end of it together. Common (used to be at least) install method around here, a bit sloppy though. I'd rather see that than a caulked term bar.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Cool Re: New Home Flashing

Yeah I'm still waiting for the call from him. Should be a good one

Jim Zborowski Guest

Those are all nice theories guys, but obviously it was once used for Santa to tie up the reigndeer. Kids grew up so its nt needed anymore. Geez , I tell ya..............

William Brady Guest

I got it. It's the Fourth of July and you happen to be sitting on your roof with a case of rockets. You need to have somthing to light them with. How come non of uses guys thought of that one????????