Default Gas stove Electrical Circuit

Does a gas stove have to have a dedicated circuit? I did an inspection today where the stove turned off when I tripped the GFCI counter circuit. The installation instruction say... "Electric Requirements: An individual, properly grounded and polarized branch circuit protected by a 15amp. circuit breaker or time delay fuse. See serial plate for proper voltage." Does "individual" mean dedicated. Then I've got IRC 3801.3.1X1,2 that states that "Receptacles installed to provide power for supplemental equipment..."

Any help?
    Thanks... Reis

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Gas stove Electrical Circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Reis Pearson View Post
    The installation instruction say... "Electric Requirements: An individual, properly grounded and polarized branch circuit protected by a 15amp. circuit breaker or time delay fuse. See serial plate for proper voltage." Does "individual" mean dedicated.
    Yes, that is what the manufacturer is telling you. And, yes, it 'could be', but 'is not required to be' GFCI protected.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yeah, but does it need to be dedicated?? Right now it's tied to the 20amp at the counter, or are you saying Yes to both?!? and that I shouldn't worry about it.

Does "individual" mean dedicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Yes, that is what the manufacturer is telling you.
    Yeah, but does it need to be dedicated??
    I repeat - "Yes, that is what the manufacturer is telling you."

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

So does manufacture recommendation always supercede anything in code?

Would this be an appropriate write up?
    "An individual, properly grounded and polarized branch circuit protected by a 15amp. circuit breaker or time delay fuse is recommended by the manufacture for electric requirements. Currently, the stove is connected to one of the 20 amp circuits in the kitchen."

Would this be an appropriate write up?
    "An individual, properly grounded and polarized branch circuit protected by a 15amp. circuit breaker or time delay fuse is recommended by the manufacture for electric requirements. Currently, the stove is connected to one of the 20 amp circuits in the kitchen."
    Make it simple and in layman terms;

The stove manufacturers literature requires a 15 amp protected circuit/outlet for this stove, it is not connected to one. Call the manufacturer to see if this is OK or have a qualified electrician make the needed corrections.

or

This stove is not connected to a 15 amp circuit/outlet as required by the manufacturer. Have a qualified electrician make the needed corrections, or buy a new stove!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Yep, and it even says so in the first few pages of the IRC and I'm sure in most other code books.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Yes, even in the NEC.

From the 2008 NEC. (underlining is mine)
    - 110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of Equipment.
    - - (B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

Which includes the installation instructions. When the items are tested, listed and labeled, they are test installed precisely and exactly as specified in the installation instructions, thus that is *the only way* in which they are allowed to be installed. With a side note: If the installation instructions are more restrictive than the code, then there is no violation of the code. If the installation instructions are less restrictive than the code, then it must meet both the installation instructions and the code (i.e., more restrictive code as well as the less restrictive installation instructions).

Here is an example: Those installation instructions do not require GFCI protection. Neither does the code. Thus GFCI protection is not required.

Now, though, let's presume that the code does require GFCI protection. Installing it per its installation instructions would not meet, protecting that circuit with GFCI protection would meet code, and would meet the installation instructions also (adding GFCI protection would not violate the installation instructions, just adds more protection).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I like your #2 recommendation with-out by a new one.

Rolland Pruner