Mark Garniss Guest

Default Venting ?? For oil furnace in new construction

Hello, I am currently designing my new home and have a question regarding venting a oil furnace/water heater. Where I am planning to place my utility room is approximately 35 ft from where the chimney is. I really do not want to vent directly through the adjoining wall due to the appearance factor. Can I run the venting along the floor joists to the furnace and vent from there?? The reason I can not put the furnace under the chimney is due to the design of the basement area.
    I hope someone out there can help me with this issue.
    Thanks in advance
    Mark

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

David Banks Guest

Default Re: Venting ?? For oil furnace in new construction

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garniss View Post
    Hello, I am currently designing my new home and have a question regarding venting a oil furnace/water heater. Where I am planning to place my utility room is approximately 35 ft from where the chimney is. I really do not want to vent directly through the adjoining wall due to the appearance factor. Can I run the venting along the floor joists to the furnace and vent from there?? The reason I can not put the furnace under the chimney is due to the design of the basement area.
    I hope someone out there can help me with this issue.
    Thanks in advance
    Mark
    Mark. That is a long way to vent. Why do you not get High Efficiency direct vent appliances and go out the nearest exterior wall?

Mark Garniss Guest

Dave, thanks for the reply. The reason I really do not want to go out thru the nearest wall is that wall is the mane view wall as you come up the driveway. I am trying not to have any distractions with pipes, or anything else. I am afraid I might have to rework the basement layout to accommodate the heating system to try to get it closer to the chimney.
    Mark

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garniss View Post
    Dave, thanks for the reply. The reason I really do not want to go out thru the nearest wall is that wall is the mane view wall as you come up the driveway. I am trying not to have any distractions with pipes, or anything else. I am afraid I might have to rework the basement layout to accommodate the heating system to try to get it closer to the chimney.
    Mark
    Remember. Safety first. Good luck.

Maybe - you can run 35 feet to vent a unit, if everyone involved actually knows what they are doing and you have the clearances to maintain pitch and many other factors.
    NO - you cannot run 35' to vent; It is unlikely the unit will vent properly; the pipe will always be in the way; you will most likely compromise some of the joists; less safe than other options, on and on; bad idea
    With a high eff unit you do not have to go out the nearest wall. You can go up or horizontal a good distance depending on factors.
    If you don't have natural gas service in your area, consider propane as an alternative to oil.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

All you would see on the outer wall is a vent cap and they are small, no flue pipes. You won't even notice it.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

The short answer to your question is , NO !!! NO !!! NO !!!!

NFPA requires 18 inches from any single wall pipe unless the
    manufactures says it can be less with there product...
    So it can't go into the floor joist....

That length of pipe would cool the flue gases down below the dew point and it would condense. That would ruin your stove pipe and chimney it a very short time.

If you don't want to change your layout look at GEO....

Dave