Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    imported_John Smith Guest

Default What do you wear to a home inspection?

I have received comments from some of my clients lately (buyers) that when they sold their homes, the HIs showed up in shorts and tank tops. I know its physically demanding and you will work up a sweat, but do others see this very often? I had some dish network guys show up at my house for an install, and you would swear they just got off the corner holding the "will work for food" sign.

For me, a pair of khakis and a button down with logo (thanks Queensboro and all that recommended them). Its pretty comfortable and the khakis are cheaper than levis. Also a good pair of leather shoes.

Doesnt seem like their clients were impressed with them or their inspections. Maybe the clothes set the tone?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: What do you wear to a home inspection?

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    Doesn't seem like their clients were impressed with them or their inspections. Maybe the clothes set the tone?
    I agree. I do wear Jeans though, with the embroidered polo shirt and leather shoes. Tennis shoes and shorts and tee shirts just don't cut it with me.

I keep a spare shirt in the truck for days like yesterday when I was sopping wet from the rain, heat or sprinklers. I try to present myself as I would expect of others in a similar capacity.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    I have received comments from some of my clients lately (buyers) that when they sold their homes, the HIs showed up in shorts and tank tops. I know its physically demanding and you will work up a sweat, but do others see this very often? I had some dish network guys show up at my house for an install, and you would swear they just got off the corner holding the "will work for food" sign. For me, a pair of khakis and a button down with logo (thanks Queensboro and all that recommended them). Its pretty comfortable and the khakis are cheaper than levis. Also a good pair of leather shoes. Doesnt seem like their clients were impressed with them or their inspections. Maybe the clothes set the tone?
    Comfort, comfort, comfort.

Shorts and a polo or Hawaiian shirt during the summer, jeans and a polo or Hawaiian during the winter. Not raggedy or anything. I see nothing unprofessional about shorts and have received no complaints. Clean and don't smell bad, that's my motto.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I'm in the jeans and polo shirt group. When I started I use to sometimes wear shorts but I just decided I don't like the way it looks.

I usally just wear a plain polo type shirt. I've always just worn plain clothes with no writing or logos or anything else on them. You just never know who you are going to offend.

I've thought about company logo shirts but I think it takes away from the professionalism and makes me look like a robot... but there is the positive side of logo shirts for marketing and brand recognition so I can see both sides. It's just not for me.

I agree that how you present is a HUGE part of this profession... visually, verbally, etc.

Same type of clothes I've worn for the last 20 years to work. Jeans and a pullover Polo type shirt.

I've had some with embroidered with the company logo and name, but I quit doing so.

Learned to carry 2-3 extra shirts and pants in the truck in case I need a change.

Tank top and shorts? Did they come from the beach to the job? Might can get by with that in Cali.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Same type of clothes I've worn for the last 20 years to work. Jeans and a pullover Polo type shirt.

I've had some with embroidered with the company logo and name, but I quit doing so.

Learned to carry 2-3 extra shirts and pants in the truck in case I need a change.

Tank top and shorts? Did they come from the beach to the job? Might can get by with that in Cali.

rick
    Jeans, Polo, Leather shoes (good roof climbing but leather shoes)

I did the Logos a long time ago and also did the logos when I first came to Texas. Stopped doing that altogether. Kneeling in the wet around the AC. crawling around in attics. Jeans and Polo's look better getting a little wet and dirty that button down shirts or Khakis.

I will say that when I inspect a large high dollar home I dress a bit. Nothing to crazy. Probably foolish using a double standard but I just think it looks better for that. Bigger dollars, better clothes.

The embroidered shirts have a plus, people know who you are. I have actually picked up business by people seeing me getting out of the truck and walking around a house, coming up and talking with me and seeing I was an HI. Advertising is usually a good thing if done tastefully.

Also, we had an issue a while back with Joe Horn in Pasadena. He was right, but I feel a lot better if I can prove Im not a crook when somebody walks up on me when Im looking through a window, especially if they are carrying a shotgun.

Before I got into this circus of a profession I had a guy ring my doorbell - he had the wrong address - and announce that he was a home inspector. He was quite disheveled and wearing overalls that looked like he'd been wrestling a pig in.
    I wear khaki type pants, usually some quick-drying fabric. Polo shirt, usually with NAHI logo. Casual leather shoes that I picked out for their roof holding soles. And, because I can get sunburned in five minutes, a baseball type cap, usually with NAHI logo. I'm too lazy to come up with my own logo.
    I suspect it's a regional thing. I don't know anyone who inspects in jeans. Except for that guy I mentioned above.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I will say that when I inspect a large high dollar home I dress a bit. Nothing to crazy. Probably foolish using a double standard but I just think it looks better for that. Bigger dollars, better clothes.
    Ted, with this in mind, what do you wear to the low-end beaters?

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Ted, with this in mind, what do you wear to the low-end beaters?
    Boxer shorts and high top timberline boots No Polo

Ted and buddy on a low end inspection.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Ted and buddy on a low end inspection.
    Where is the beer ?

Where is the beer ?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I wear jeans, a plain pocket t-shirt, and leather shoes. I try to look clean cut and well groomed. I used to wear some button up shirts with my company name on them. I should probably have some more made up to look a little more professional. I think that it's important to look like a home inspector not a banker, after all we do crawl around in some dirty places.

I wear the same color every day - blue pants and a red shirt. Long sleeve in winter, short sleeve in summer. Company logo on the front. Mine are polo shirts with a pocket.
    My pants are dressy work pants. Look good, and are very durable. I buy them from a uniform place, since they are made for working in.
    The dark blue pants look good even when dirty.

I also carry an extra shirt and pair of pants, but rarely use them.

I also wear a ball cap with company logo on it. I need to wear a hat in the sun to protect my head. The problem I have with them, is they really get sweaty, then stained, then thrown out.

If I know I'm going to be by myself, and the houses are POS's. then I will wear jeans.

I dress according to the inspection. When the temps hit the 90's I break out the nice shorts. I always wear a non-faded polo shirt, some have an ASHI logo with my company name, but most of the time I just wear one with out any logos.

If I know I will be in a rural setting that might have overgrown shrubs, etc., I will wear non-faded jeans.. I buy about 3 pairs of jeans a year, that is about as long as they last without getting faded.

If I will be inspecting in town I will wear nice khaki pants.

In the winter I change to long sleeves and put the shorts on the top shelf in the closet.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I always wore casual slacks and a pullover shirt with 3/4 sleeves (to the elbow), a collar, and a pocket. I would pick up the shirts on sale a Dillard's, JC Penny, etc., and have my company name embroidered on the pocket. Typical cost for the shirt was $30-40 at half price and $20 for the embroidery for about $40 each average.

I wore sneaker, had three pair, one for crawlspaces (dirty one), ones for the roof (not as dirty ones, although the soles were dirty from the tile colors) and one for other places. When my main pair started getting worn looking, they became my roof shoes and my roof shoes became my crawlspace shoes.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Charles Sessums Guest

Black slacks - a quick dusting and little from the outside or attic shows - except for cellulose insulation

Logo button down shirt - short sleeve year round - pressed and starched

Dark tennis shoes for outside and roof

Smooth sole leather on the inside - looks good and does not pick up insulation

Tyvek for the crawlspace

Always carry spare clothes - it's hot and humid

Mouth Wash - eat what I want for lunch

I treat them all the same. Big, small, cheap or overpriced. What I deliver is the same. Everone's money is the same so what they buy is the same.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Khakis, collared pullover, black shoes. If I'm at the inspection alone with no buyer, jeans with collared pullover and black boots.

Oh, I forgot to add that this past spring I started to wear those funny rubber shoes called Crocs when I need to to take my shoes off for going inside a home. I wear the style called "Off Road" in a nice forest green with a bright orange strap! This style has a thicker sole with vent holes on the side and on top, along with a soft back strap with Velcro straps.

I have a problem with taking my shoes off, mostly for my safety but the Crocs provide the protection I have with my normal street shoes. Plus they look spiffy.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Every spring I go to Sierra Trading Post - Save 35-70% on Famous Name Brands and buy closeout shirts and pants off the "hiking and travel" page, I look for neutral color wicking fabric shirts and tan and gray pants. As long as I start out looking clean and neat I don't mind getting dirty (especially toward the end of the inspection, which is when I do basements and crawls), IMO it makes it clear to the client that you are making the effort.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 08-20-2008 at 07:37 PM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

I usually wear dark sunglasses and walk up to the clients as in the picture. You should see the looks you get from this one.

Polo pants and shirt, dress loafers, but then again I'm there as an EW. (bring extra clothing and shoes if crawling is required) When I was an HI pretty much the same as others. It's important to make a good impression and be as clean and neat as possible. Folks take an average of about 2 minutes to judge your credibility and as we all know without due credibility your phone ain't gonna ring.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

In the cooler months I wear professionally drycleaned and pressed button-down, solid color, long sleeve, cotton twill shirts with logo embroidered over the pocket, ironed tan cargo pants and brown leather shoes with rubber soles. Dry cleaning keeps the shirts from fading and the pressing adds a professional air.

In the warmer months I wear ironed navy plaid, button-down poly/cotton short sleeved shirts with logo over pocket, ironed tan cargo shorts and newer tennis shoes.

When I arrive at job site, I put on a pair of shoe covers immediately. I wear one pair while inspecting the exterior to keep my shoes clean. I swap to a clean pair of shoe covers at the front door after the client answers the door so they see me putting on new shoe covers. I remove the shoe covers if I climb out a window onto a roof, out a door to a deck/balcony/porch/patio, and put them back on when I come back inside.

Clients notice the shoe covers and nod with a smile of appreciation. I buy the shoe covers by the case for about $.30 a cover. Wear them once inside and then wear them a second time as exterior covers before disposing.

I have several logoed baseball caps but never wear them. Don't like hats. I buy cases of recycled clean room tyvek coveralls with attached feet and hoods. I wear the coveralls when in crawlspaces. Usually get about 3-5 crawls before they are too dirty or torn. By the case they are only about $3 each. I wear a M95 mask, leather gloves, and knee pads over top of coveralls. Often get comments about the white bunny suit, knee pads, gloves and mask. Since the coveralls are disposable, never have to worry about washing them and leaving residue in washing machine. They are tyvek so keep moisture out but can be a bit hot. Clients seem to like me going in bright white and coming out dirty. Gives the impression I worked hard for them.

Never wear jeans. They are paying for a professional and I try to present myself as such. Don't wear polos or T-shirts to inspections. I have a logoed jacket for colder weather.

Wear the same thing regardless if client is attending or not, crawlspace or not. Every inspection is a marketing opportunity. Also have "real estate" signs with company logo and contact information I post in the yard during the inspection. Neighbors and traffic know why someone is walking around on the roof or peaking in windows. Some clients allow me to leave the sign for a week or two if I know I will be near the neighborhood soon to retrieve.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Ted Menelly Guest

Hey Bruce

No sarcasm meant but I am just curious

You said below

"In the warmer months I wear ironed navy plaid, button-down poly/cotton short sleeved shirts with logo over pocket, ironed tan cargo shorts and newer tennis shoes."

I was curios that if you think cargo shorts and plaid shirts and sneakers, what would be objectionable about jeans.

I had a friend that passed away some years ago that owned several car dealerships. Had more money than God intended. He wore jeans every wear he went and insisted his employees did as well. I was a comfort level thing.

Just my opinion is that cargo shorts and sneakers are about as no professional looking as you can get.

Again, just curious and was wondering of your thought process and opinion.

Ted,

Jeans to me are just too casual for those times when wearing long pants are necessary. They just say to me part time or more "contractor" and less "professional". Your milage may vary.

North Carolina in the summer is 95 degrees with 80%-90% as early as 8am. Long pants are just not feasible. Shorts by definition are considered casual but I choose shorts that are of a more tailored cut. I keep them clean and pressed. Pockets are buttoned and I do not keep anything in the bellows pockets so they are pressed flat.

Certainly tennis shoes are casual but I can not find any other footwear that works with shorts. Possibly leather boat shoes, Sperrys would be more upscale. Of course with the shoe covers, clients do not really see my shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    Ted,

Jeans to me are just too casual for those times when wearing long pants are necessary. They just say to me part time or more "contractor" and less "professional".

I knew many HIs who wore jeans, but Bruce's reason is why I chose to wear casual dress slacks - to look more professional and avoid the 'contractor/tradesman' look.

That was also one reason I wore nice shirts with a tasteful embroidered company name on the pocket instead of tee shirts with the company name boldly-printed-where-no-man-has-been-before on the back of the tee shirts. They look like the tee shirts should say 'RapidRotoRooterSewerCleanerGuy' or something like that, maybe 'John's Handyman Service - We Do It All - Electrical/Plumbing/AC/Roofing/Painting/Tile/Concrete Work.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It's pretty humid and hot in Knoxville, but I wouldn't think of wearing shorts. I just think they look unprofessional.

I have also found that jeans can look like work pants or nice looking denim pants. I bought a couple pair from Cabelas a while back to work around the house. They have really held up the dark blue color and look very nice. Of course, they were close outs, so I can't get more.

I echo the use of shoe covers. I will not remove my shoes, but use shoe covers all the time.

For crawlspaces I use tall boot covers and tall rubber farmers boots and Dickey's coveralls. I keep my shoes on and my regular clothes stay clean. The tall rubber boots also work very well on new construction when the mud is deep all around the house.

If I lived in an area where everyone wore shorts (like Hawaii), then I might wear them too. But unless my clients are showing up in shorts, and the Realtor is in shorts, then I don't want to be the guy that looks the most casual.

My feeling is it's better to be slightly over dressed, than under dressed.
    When I used to go to business functions (plastics industry functions) with my wife, I never knew when the other guys would have on a tie and sport coat or suit. I always started out with a tie and sport coat, and pulled off the tie many times after getting there.

Cool Re: What do you wear to a home inspection?

Speaking only for northern CA (SF Bay Area) and again only in my opinion if an HI showed up wearing shorts for my inspection he would be sent packing post haste!

Everybody is dressing down these days, go to an attorney’s office and they're all in Dockers and Polo or Tommy "you-know-who" shirts. That is until they get to court where dark suits and ties are still the fashion de jour.

I feel good grooming and attire shows respect for not only what one does, but also for the folks they do it for. Call me old fashioned if you wish, but that's MHO.

Jerry McCarthy

James Duffin Guest

I wear jeans, a button type shirt with my company name and Justin work boots. I consider a HI to be a tradesman. If you are not a tradesman then how can you be a decent HI? I made more as a electrcian than I do as a HI but HI is easier work which is what I want as I get older.

Eric Shuman Guest

In the winter and in the two weeks of spring we get here I either wear work khakis or nice non-faded jeans (it is Texas after all) with a nice oxford shirt, either short or long sleeved depending on the outside temps. I typically wear nice work boots with good soles.

The summer is a different story. We have had over 50 days of 100 dgree weather this summer and it is typically humid. I wear nice khaki shorts and a clean pull-over Polo (usually white, tucked in, with spares in the car). In the summer I wear nice dark colored cross training type shoes. I have never had a complaint about the shorts and I get plenty of referrals. Like Scott said, I'm clean, clean cut and I am professional.

Sometimes i wear my logo on my shirts and sometimes I don't - whatever happens to be clean.

Before I started wearing shorts in the summer I can't count the times customers asked me why I did not wear shorts so I took their advice!

Even in shorts you can look professional and my inspection demeanor and my report speak alot more about my professionalism than my shorts do but I also live in Austin where people are pretty laid back.

eric

Leather Sperry Top Siders for outside and attic. Second pair of deck shoes that have never been worn on anything but a boat deck or inside a house. Pair of calf high rubber boots for crawlspace and wet mud conditions.

The top siders have flat soles with razor cuts. Clean off easy if you are not paying attention in "Fidoe's" yard, and you can feel the rafters in deep insulation. Razor cuts make them stick like glue to most anything. Look good with cotton cargo kaki’s.

Used to take my shoes off or wear cloth shoe covers. Covers are slippery and had second thoughts about looking for electrical problems in my stocking feet.

Cover-alls go down over the top of the rubber boots, makes it a little harder for biting things to get up my pant leg.

Here in Texas, people will more likely trust the advice of a man in jeans than they would from man in slacks when it comes to homebuilding and construction.

Pants and shirts don't make the inspection anyway, whats on the report is all the really matters. If they want a model to do their inspection, let them call Fabio.

JMHO

rick

Kevin Barre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Speaking only for northern CA (SF Bay Area) and again only in my opinion if an HI showed up wearing shorts for my inspection he would be sent packing post haste!

I feel good grooming and attire shows respect for not only what one does, but also for the folks they do it for. Call me old fashioned if you wish, but that's MHO.
    With all due respect, I think you have to make allowances for local climate...and personal safety. While I am all for calling our chosen trade a profession and treating it as such, I must say that I wear shorts when the temperature is consistently north of 90 degrees. When you combine that with the absurd humidity levels we have around here, it makes a huge difference. A couple weeks ago, I measured attic air temps on a couple of successive days at well over 130 degrees. That was on a day with an air temp in the 90's, and temps north of 100 degrees are not uncommon in July and August. I don't know about you guys, but I am in relatively good shape, I'm not a geriatric, and yet I'm not going to go into an attic of that temp in long pants just to try to look "professional."
    Are sweat stained long pants (of whatever variety) more "professional" than a clean, creased, and dry set of khaki shorts?
    I don't think so, but others may disagree. Even in a relatively cool but very humid crawlspace, by the time I pull off my "breathable" Tyvek jumpsuit, I am usually somewhat sweaty...at least in the warmer months. My bare legs dry off pretty quickly compared to long pants.

At work, you won't find me in jeans or denim shorts in any season, nor will you find me in boots of any variety. Nor do I wear t shirts. Ever. I wear a pressed collared shirt at all times. Most often with my company logo.

The bottom line? I try to look as professional as I can but I maintain a reasonable comfort (and safety) level.

Ted Menelly Guest

Kevin

"I am usually somewhat sweaty"

Man getting sweaty as a home inspector. This is an easy job. You must be doing it wrong

As the saying goes, To each his own.

One must decide what is best for himself.

I once saw a sign that said, "Never Trust a Clean Home Inspector".

I think the reference was that to inspect a home well, it was going to take a bit of getting down with the dirt and grime to check it out. Doing the nasty I call it.

Personally for my health, I'm not going to be crawling around in an attic full of insulation wearing shorts. Fiberglass and other hazards such as rodent feces and urine, and all the other chemicals that prior exterminators have dusted or sprayed in there can easily enter the skin.

I bet many of you don't even wear a respirator or mask when in the attic.

Being in the PC business also, we have always had to wear long pants and long sleeve shirts when doing chemical application especially when doing termite work. Working in shorts would be a violation of most chemical labeling and the SPCB would cite you for it.

I've mentioned before on here of knowing a HI in the past who used to show up on inspection wearing white pants and very nice dress shirts. He would smooze his way through the inspection by just taking about the nice things in the home and barely mentioning the defects. I would do the WDI inspections for his clients and while I was under the home, he'd run the water and asked me if I saw any leaks, exposed wiring on the ground or movement of the piers. NOT once did this guy ever even lean over into a crawlspace to take a look.

As I would crawl out from under the home covered with cobwebs, dirt on the coveralls, the clients and the realtors used to make regular comments about "who" was really the one working. Hell, I'd only make the termite inspection fee while this fool would earn a few hundred bucks and leave smelling like a daisy. Didn't seem right, and thats when I decided to move into the inspection business myself.

Well, this other inspector has gone out of business now and has had numerous lawsuits filed against him. He actually moved to Mexico for a few years to hide out just because he didn't do his job.

Hello contacts.

rick

Ron Bibler Guest

Everybody is dressing down these days, go to an attorney’s office and they're all in Dockers and Polo or Tommy "you-know-who" shirts. That is until they get to court where dark suits and ties are still the fashion de jour.

I got to say that over the years im not doing the slacks and polo shirt thing anymore. Jeans and a button down shirt in the winter and shorts and the cotton button down in the summer... They may say one thing about my dress code but with my Face and my reports the phone never stops.

I never was a dress up boy.

I ride my Harley to Church... just think a biker in a church.
    What is the world comming to.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    I got to say that over the years im not doing the slacks and polo shirt thing anymore. Jeans and a button down shirt in the winter and shorts and the cotton button down in the summer... They may say one thing about my dress code but with my Face and my reports the phone never stops.

I never was a dress up boy.

I ride my Harley to Church... just think a biker in a church.
    What is the world comming to.

Heck

Even the God Father went to church

Brian Thomas Guest

I like it best when service folk show up to my house wearing company apparal and a truck with the company name on the side. Preferably, not a truck that leaves an oil stain in my driveway.

I hate it when guys show up in a a truck that you can hear coming from a mile away and they show up to your door with no ID or anyway to identify that they actually do work for a particular company. Drives me crazy!

That being said, I obviously will prefer to show up looking as clean and well groomed as possible when I start doing inspections for real. If its reasonably priced, then I will go for polo shirts with my logo on them as well. If not, I will still dress as professionally as I can.

Does anyone wear those disposable shoe covers? Some plumbers came to my house once and slipped those on before they entered and I thought that was a nice touch. I know that I could always have inside and outside shoes too but it seems a pain to change your shoes everytime you go in and out.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas View Post

Some plumbers came to my house once and slipped those on before they entered and I thought that was a nice touch.

Plumbers should have some of those rear lower back covers .

Now that would be a nice touch.

Best

Ron

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 08-21-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Brian Thomas Guest

agreed ron! They need to keep that area completely covered at all times

[QUOTE=Kevin Barre;54464]With all due respect, I think you have to make allowances for local climate...and personal safety. While I am all for calling our chosen trade a profession and treating it as such, I must say that I wear shorts when the temperature is consistently north of 90 degrees. When you combine that with the absurd humidity levels we have around here, it makes a huge difference.

Kevin

Please note I said “SF bay area” regarding not inspecting in shorts. Naturally if I was inspecting in Texas or any area with high summer temperatures you would see me in shorts, asap. At least inspectors have options. My oldest son Jeff works as a salesman for a very large wine & spirits distributer based in LA and they recently issued a new dress code that requires their sales force to wear slacks, long sleeved dress shirts, tie and blazer. Jeff works Sonoma County out of Healdsburg where it can get very toasty in the summer. His customers think Jeff’s company bosses are nuts, but how does one argue with Harvard MBAs?

Jerry McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Barre View Post
    With all due respect, I think you have to make allowances for local climate...and personal safety. While I am all for calling our chosen trade a profession and treating it as such, I must say that I wear shorts when the temperature is consistently north of 90 degrees. When you combine that with the absurd humidity levels we have around here, it makes a huge difference. A couple weeks ago, I measured attic air temps on a couple of successive days at well over 130 degrees. That was on a day with an air temp in the 90's, and temps north of 100 degrees are not uncommon in July and August. I don't know about you guys, but I am in relatively good shape, I'm not a geriatric, and yet I'm not going to go into an attic of that temp in long pants just to try to look "professional."

Having worked in this profession for 16-17 years in those same (similar) conditions, I beg to differ with you.

Yes, slacks makes one look more professional.

As someone said earlier, 'looking professional' (or something to that effect) does not make the inspector.

As someone else said previously, though, 'first impressions' are made at the first impression, and first impressions last a long time, and can even overcome a stronger 'second impression' (or wording which lead to that overall affect).

'First impressions' are important, being a 'good inspector' is more important in the long run. However, 'first impressions' can lead to a short run.

One needs to wear what one feels they should wear, I chose to wear casual dress slacks and a nice shirt, that is what I did. Whether my clients noticed or cared, I have no idea, I never took a poll. I do know, though, that I did end up at the upper end of the market, maybe it was my winning personality?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I'm compelled to agree with my east coast counterpart (Jerry P) in that that old saying, "you never get a second chance to make a good first impression" is basically on the mark. Years ago I learned in Toastmasters International that studies showed that we (most folks) upon meeting somebody for the first time come to a conclusion that we trust, don't trust, see them as lightweights or flakes, and/or believe them to be truly professional. We may not like them, but we respect them and if you’re not respected you will never gain the credibility (trust) that people will put in you when making what is usually the largest investment in their lifetimes. It goes without saying that no credibility means you ain’t going to make it as a property inspector or probably in any business, profession or trade working on your own. However, there’s always the US Postal Service thankgoodness.

BTW I like to think property inspecting is a profession, not necessarily a trade, but everybody has their own opinion and I wish we would all call ourselves property inspectors rather than home inspectors considering that many also inspect commercial and multi-dwelling properties.

Jerry McCarthy

I wish we would all call ourselves property inspectors rather than home inspectors considering that many also inspect commercial and multi-dwelling properties.
    I always referred to myself as a Private Building Inspector, because that is what I did. I was not a 'home inspector', for the reasons you gave plus others.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Does anyone wear those disposable shoe covers? Some plumbers came to my house once and slipped those on before they entered and I thought that was a nice touch. I know that I could always have inside and outside shoes too but it seems a pain to change your shoes everytime you go in and out.
    I use the shoe covers when needed, but not all the time. They are too slick to use all the time, I was never good at ice skating.

Has any one got a source or tried the shoe covers that have the traction material on the bottom?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    I use the shoe covers when needed, but not all the time. They are too slick to use all the time, I was never good at ice skating.

Has any one got a source or tried the shoe covers that have the traction material on the bottom?
    One of the reasons I went to wearing a pair of Crocs in the house. You can make shoe covers non-slip with just a few large rubber bands. Slip the rubber bands over the shoe covers(and your shoes) and they will provide traction.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I had inside and outside shoes, plus crawl shoes. They didn't have shoe covers when I was inspecting, but we did have to keep an eye out for these guys !!!

Jerry McCarthy

Normal dress for me is a pair or pressed slacks and a pressed, collared shirt, or a polo with logo. My ID is always visible, my vehicle is clean, quiet, doesn't leak any fluids and it is lettered with the company name, phone numbers, etc. Roof boots and a pair of Crocs for inside. Hooded and footed Tyvek + respirator for the attic and the crawl.
    Don't do shorts, even though as Kevin B. pointed out Arkansas this time of year is hot and humid. Jeans are out unless I know that the buyer, seller, and any agents that don't know me are not going to be present. As has been said, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    ATN Services : Home

Source for shoe covers. Palmflex.com

I have not tried the type with the traction. I use the ones below. All plastic. Kind of like wearing a womans shower cap. They keep my shoes dry when walking through wet or dew covered grass. I double up when wearing in muddy construction sites. They can be slippery indoors. After the first room, there is usually enough dust on the bottom they are not slippery.

Each time I reorder, I toy with getting the kind with the grippers on the bottom but am not sure they would provide protection from dog doo or dew. I don't want to have two kinds.
    Blue Waterproof
    Oversize Extra Large
    Enlarge Image

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post

I don't remember where I got them, but, as I recall, while they were not as slippery as the ones without the traction strips/spots, my feet did slip within the shoe covers - it was an improvement, but the end-all for the slipping problem.

That problem would be taken care of with a couple of large rubber bands as Scott said.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A number of years ago I was scheduled to do a inspection on a modest high rise condo. As I pressed the elevator button the door man said to me that all trades people need to take the rear elevator.
    I told him that I was not a trades person but a professional home inspector. I got on that regular elevator. Now if a doorman thought I was a trade person than my first impression to my client would be the same.
    At that time I wore dockers, logo polo shirt, logo hat, and Sperry docksiders.
    All clean and neat.

Shorty after that I change to beige slacks, solid polo shirts no logo, no hat and Sperry docksiders.

Anybody can wear what they want but if you want to look professionals look at what other professional wear.

mlc

You guy's probably already know this, but permanent type shoe covers are manufactured. They are some type of fabric with a rubber bottom.

It appears that the majority of my peers are of the "dress for success" persuasion.

I recall my wife had to change doctors once (change in insurance), the one she got was very matronly looking and her office smelled like a veterinarians. Upon arrival, we knew it wasnt going to be a good fit for the mrs. Im sure the doctor was competent, we just thought that she wasnt real professional. Im sure there are some that are very "doctorly" looking that barely passed med school. I guess Im shallow though, I will always go with the one that presents themselves well.

Russel Ray Guest

I wear clothes except when I do an inspection at the naturist resort. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Russel Ray View Post
    I wear clothes except when I do an inspection at the naturist resort. LOL
    Hope you have a tool belt with front & back carry pouches.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Jim Zborowski Guest

So what would you wear to a nudist colony?????????????/

sorrry, just coulldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Zborowski View Post
    ---- So what would you wear to a nudist colony?--

Craig Mikesell Guest

I suppose I'm in the minority here but I'm old school and image is everything in this world. Years ago, as an apprentice in the Carpenter's Union (106) we were told that if we arrive wearing anything but work boots, functional long pants, and a workshirt provided by our company (plastered with their logo's) we would be going home very quickly. That has stuck with me so we wear a uniform to separate us from all the others. Now we get recognized and actually get additional work out of people seeing us in the grocery line or some place.

Stephen Houmard Guest

I'm in Charleston SC. We wear shorts due to the heat, khaki brown, all the same. The shirts are logoed from Lands End, polo stain resistance and a logo hat.

You know you don't trust any profession, even the kid who changes your oil if they don't look like a pro.

The first thing you do when starting a company uniforms and business cards. Look like a professional, not a out of work contractor.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Houmard View Post
    I'm in Charleston SC. We wear shorts due to the heat, khaki brown, all the same. The shirts are logoed from Lands End, polo stain resistance and a logo hat.

You know you don't trust any profession, even the kid who changes your oil if they don't look like a pro.

The first thing you do when starting a company uniforms and business cards. Look like a professional, not a out of work contractor.
    Another funny guy

Out of work contractor.

That was not very nice.

Quite frankly if you came to my house to inspect wearing shorts and a baseball cap I would think that this is very unprofessional.

Not a hat guy and have never been. Walking billboard I never bought into. Simple name and logo, sure.

A nice fresh pullover Polo type shirt (non faded) a nice pair of jeans (not faded, clean and well groomed tells me that you are neat and respectful in appearance but came here to get the job done. Leather shoes, sharp and dressed down casual, good for walking attics and roofs.

I just don't get this whole thing about someone thinking a sharp pair of jeans is dressing down to shorts and a baseball cap.

Since you thru that comical remark in there about the out of work contractor I will throw this back at you.

Shorts and a baseball cap, can someone say beach or way to country, is about the most un*professional* look one could possibly have.

Tennis anyone

Put on a polo shirt some time and a sharp neat clean unfaded pair of jeans, look in the mirror (no hat please) Then put your short outfit and baseball cap on and look in the mirror. Gotta be a full length mirror so you can see your shoes as well. (leather I hope) Better than that, have a picture taken so you can really study it. I think you will see what I am talking about.

I think you will see that the short and hat guy (most likely sneakers) took some time off from his vacation to squeeze an inspection in and had no serious intention on coming to work that day.

What is it you want to look like, the Orkin Guy. No wait I think they always wear long pants but still have the logos from head to toe. Shoot, might as well throw on the sunglasses as well.

Just being another funny guy. Hoped you liked it

Sorry, quick edit.

Lands End ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?? Really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alrighty then!!!!!!!!

As I am charging a minimum of $150 an hour I think I should look the part.
    Beige dockers nicely creased [2 spares in the truck]
    Silk or cotton short sleeve shirts with breast pocket [for the check]
    Brown leather walking shoes [3 pair in the truck plus old crawlers]
    Crawls/attics in Dupont throwaways with old walking shoes.
    No logos, no caps, no shorts, always booties.
    Doggie yard pair of old walkers.
    Tools are in a tool belt/suspenders changed regularly.
    When raining 3/4 leather jacket and fisherman's pants/boots and brolly. [Panasonic Toughbook can take it].
    Shirt changed each inspection, pants if needed. 6 pair of inspection shoes rotated daily aired in garage

Snow and mud [rare] a pair of Wellington boots to the knee and long leather with hood

Peter Walker, ASHI 11008. Southern California

Company logo on the back.
    Suspenders under the Jacket.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Company logo on the back.
    Suspenders under the Jacket.
    Where did you get my picture Billy?

Where did you get my picture Billy?
    :: Welcome to the National Reconnaissance Office ::

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast