Default Tropical Storm Fay

I hope all the home inspectors I know in the Ft. Pierce - Vero Beach - Melbourne areas are holding on fine and all is well.

I've seen reports of up to 25" to 30" of rain in parts of that area, which is no wonder more than 8,000 homes are flooded in that area.

I've only been getting a steady rain and limited winds until the last couple of hours or so. Not much here yet, but it is supposed be arriving here about 2 am with 50-60 mph winds and gusts to 65-70 mph (still short of hurricane strength). Got our motor home pulled into the driveway and all connected so that if power goes out, I can shut off the main and start up the motor home generator, turn that breaker on in the panel to at least have lights and refrigerators on.

Oh well, life in the sunshine ... er ... plywood state. ( Care2 - Photos - Plywood State.jpg )

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Tropical Storm Fay

Hey Jerry you all be safe out there. We have been very dry in Calif for some 2 years now. All the lake are down. some lakes the boats have no access. can't get the boats in or out.

We are going to need some of that rain out hear this year.

On the possitive side all your Infrared inspectors should be working overtime from roof leaks and water issues.

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    On the possitive side all your Infrared inspectors should be working overtime from roof leaks and water issues.

Best

Ron
    Hopefully not on previously inspected homes!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Well Jerry, its time to put your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye.

Nah, Just a tropical storm. The kids will be out in the surf

Jerry;
    Be safe.
    I used to live in Palm Bay, just south of Melbourne, and one thing was constant during those "mini-canes" ..... PARTY!!!!!!!!!!

Critical Home Inspection Services
    www.Home2Spec.com

We have had rain all week in the Dallas area. Nice to cool things off for sure.

rick

My condo on Hutchinson Island had flooded parking lots with a foot or so of water because the retention ponds were full. I was told that over 20" of rain fell. We got some minor wind damage to a recreation building with some water inside.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ghent View Post
    My condo on Hutchinson Island had flooded parking lots with a foot or so of water because the retention ponds were full. I was told that over 20" of rain fell. We got some minor wind damage to a recreation building with some water inside.
    John,

I thought your condo would have been far enough south to have missed it. That must have been part of that band which dumped up to 25" to 30" in areas. I know your condo took a hit in 2004 from those two hurricanes too (was it just two or was it three which went through that area?).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Jerry Q. I got a news flash today. something about fire ants back there and every other kind of snake and gators from all the flooding.

Man that could be a mess.

Best

Ron

Ron,

Yes, with all the flooding going on they are telling everyone not to go out into the water as the water 'could be hazardous', what with all the snakes, ants, alligators, now roaming the waters, combine that with all the chemicals sprayed onto the lawns, septic tanks, over-burdened storm and sanitary sewers, contaminated soils, etc., which now have their chemical floating around in and on the water.

Yeah, not a day to take the kids to the lake, which used to be the road, besides, who knows where the road drops off into the adjacent canal unless one spots the top of a submerged car? (Which are plentiful right now. )

Yet, they show kids out playing in the water, and, why not, I mean, what can I say about the kids doing that, I did it back when I was young and we had flooding from hurricanes and tropical storms - and I survived basically intact. (Lost some brain mater along the way, but, hey, that's to be expected, right? )

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Just thought I would post this satellite image of Tropical Storm Fay, got it off the weather.com web site for my area.

We are, very fortunately, smack in the center of it all, meaning 'in the eye', which is basically pretty good weather (not a nice sunny day, mind you, but not bad either).

That is supposed to change sometime this evening or tonight, whenever it finally decides to move out. In which case, all that stuff on to the south and/or east of us *has to go over us*, simply put, if you are in the middle of a lake, there is only one way to go - no matter which direction you go - you have to go ... across the rest of the lake.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Just today alone in my area, there's been close to 10 inches of rain. Lots of wind too.

I'd bet the water intrusion phone calls (as in "Where is this water coming from?") will start tomorrow.

Dom.