Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Walking in attics - Any good tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Today's attic delight:
    Hey Mike

I absolutely swear that I was in that exact attic today. That little sucker was 133 degree and it was not even to hot out today.

Even the fan at the end it the same. Did you move to Bedford Texas?

The only difference was there was no rat run. I had to knee the botom of the trusses

Crawl Space Creeper

That was one was worse than it looked, I ran out of battery before I really got into the fire damage. Usually I do attics first thing once I get inside - I stuck my head in there, backed out, and came back to finish at the end of the job - I knew I would likely look like a coal miner when I can out of there, and I did.

And you are right, I was lucky there was flooring for most of it, and I knew it.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Richard flip the feet up so the rails stick in the ground. Jump on the first step to plant it. I never use the feet in a lawn. It also sounds like you have the ladder on to much of a slant.

I was on my telesteps today in a home on a slick vinyl floor trying to get into the attic. I was by myself and had the ladder pretty straight up leaning on the wall lifting the hatch out of the way when the bottom slid out. My legs went between the rungs and went face first into the floor. Skinned my legs to hell. I laid there for a few minutes being thankful I did not break anything. It was the slickest floor I was ever on.

In my roofing days I fell off a roof 3 times and ladders slip out from under me countless times. Worst fall broke my arm when I fell from 20'. Plates and pins and three surgeries later I was good to go.

I'm knocking on my wood desk right now that I never stepped through a ceiling. 13 years and counting.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Just like getting on and off a roof, the three point rule, two hands and a foot, or two feet and a hand. Then, feel very carefully with each foot before applying any weight. Do everything you need to, then get out of there ASAP, especially when it's really hot.

A H/I friend told a client he could come up the ladder to watch, but don't get into the attic. Ten trusses later, he found the client right behind him, carefully stepping over the trusses onto the drywall ceiling material - right over a two story drop into the great room. He chased the idiot out and thanked the Lord the guy didn't weigh very much.

Some good tips in this thread. Thanks to all!

Linda Swearingen Guest

Wow-he let the guy use his ladder?!? I never volunteer that, and if a client does show an inclination to do so, I point out that my insurance does not cover anyone but me using it.

Like you, I was also surprised he had been letting clients get on his ladder, but that incident taught him a lesson. I should have mentioned that result as well - nobody gets to come up the ladder and take a peek anymore after that incident.

Last edited by Michael Chambers; 06-06-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Speling errer!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12