Default Hose bib question

Are there requirements as to the number and location of exterior hose bibs? Are there any code references to this matter?

As always, thank you for your help.

Chris

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Hose bib question

The old South Florida Building Code required a hose bibb at the front and the rear of every dwelling unit.

The rest of the state which was under the Standard Building Code did not have that requirements, neither do the ICC codes.

It makes "common sense" to have at least one at the front and one at the rear, but the "code of common sense" is 'uncommon' in today's buildings.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

In this case there are 2 bibs on the sides of the home (none in the backyard). The builder agreed that there should be one in front & one in back until they realized it was one of there spec homes.

They then retracted that statement & said there is no "code" stating such.

I guess the common sense does not apply here.

Anyone run into a similar situation?

Joshua Hardesty Guest

I always try to put at least two on opposite corners of the house, so one hose could cover two sides. But I'm always glad to add more.

Our state (MA) requires a minimum of two outside hose bibs with additional ones required so that there is no greater than 100 ft. between them as measured on the perimeter.

Gary Smith Guest

When I start a home I usually study the plan with my plumber and ask him to place them around. I try to place at least one on each side of the box...front, back, and two sides or and maybe near the drive to wash the auto. Of course the most convenient spot to place them is nearer the bath or kitchen. That way the plumber doesn't have too much material cost tied up in hose bibs piping. I've not run into a code that "required" them but it would be fairly stupid to build a home without using good common sense not only in their placement but in not placing them at all....and like Jerry said...common sense is sometimes pretty uncommon.