Stephen G Sheldon Guest

Default Main Electric Panel in Closet

How would you report this condition (major repair/safety issue) or is it even necessary? The workmanship looks good but I realize the location is not ideal.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Main Electric Panel in Closet

How would you report this condition
    The panel in question "is missing".

Stephen G Sheldon Guest

Cute, Vern but whats that mean?

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen G Sheldon View Post
    You did not add a pic. You stated the question like you were going to show the panel.

Many well, thusands, who knows how many electric panels in older homes were in the closet. They never should have been there.

You have to tell your folks that it may have once been allowed but is and has not been allowed
    for safety reason for, well ever.(might as well be forever.

Even if you tell them of this you have to think of the clearance to the sides and the working clearance to the front. This is one of the big working on safety issues. Hanging clothes around it is a safety issue. If they are like half of them I find near where I live the panel itself FPE and such is a write up in itself. The suggestion to the client at the minimum would be to open that end of the closet so it is no longer in there or move it from the closet. It depends on the situation in the home you are inspecting.

The picture would give you a lot more for folks to write about.

Your question is it a big deal

YES

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 08-26-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Stephen G Sheldon Guest

Ted,

Thanks for your response. I don't have a picture but I got the basics of what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen G Sheldon View Post
    What Vern meant was that you posted a post with no question or information in it.

Then, after having to look around at what you meant, the light came on - 'Oh, it is the heading to the thread.'

It is better for all if the thread identified what the question was about (yours did), then the post contained the actual question and information (yours lacked the question, so I am sure that Vern and I were not the only ones thrown off by what you were asking).

It is possible that Ted 'got it' immediately, good for Ted if he did.

I 'got it' after several seconds looking around for whateveritwas you were asking, then 'Oh, there it is in the heading.'

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com