Jerome W. Young Guest

Default vent through roof under eave

i am sure that this is not supposed to be here?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: vent through roof under eave

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W. Young View Post
    i am sure that this is not supposed to be here?
    Jerome,

It's a Plumbing Stack Vent ( yes ? )

What is your concern, the overhang ?

P3103.5

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Jerome W. Young Guest

Yup, plumbing vent stack under the eave. It seems the wastee venting would flow right into the attic.

Jerome W. Young Guest

found this but i dont know if it applies.

904.6 Extension through the wall.
    Vent terminals extending through the wall shall terminate a minimum of 10 feet (3048 mm) from the lot line and 10 feet (3048 mm) above average ground level. Vent terminals shall not terminate under the overhang of a structure with soffit vents. Side wall vent terminals shall be protected to prevent birds or rodents from entering or blocking the vent opening.

IRC P3103.5 Location of vent terminal. An open vent terminal from a drainage system shall not be located less than 4 feet directly beneath any door, openable window, or other air intake opening of the building or of an adjacent building, nor shall any such vent terminal be within 10 feet horizontally of such an opening unless it is at least 2 feet above the top of such opening.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Jerome W. Young Guest

I think i got it now

904.5 Location of vent terminal.
    An open vent terminal from a drainage system shall not be located directly beneath any door, openable window, or other air intake opening of the building or of an adjacent building, and any such vent terminal shall not be within 10 feet (3048 mm) horizontally of such an opening unless it is at least 2 feet (610 mm) above the top of such opening.

Jerome,

You are in the Plumbing Code, go to the Residential Code.

From the Florida Residential Code
    - P3103.5 Location of vent terminal.
    - - An open vent terminal from a drainage system shall not be located less than 4 feet (1219 mm) directly beneath any door, openable window, or other air intake opening of the building or of an adjacent building, nor shall any such vent terminal be within 10 feet (3048 mm) horizontally of such an opening unless it is at least 2 feet (610 mm) above the top of such opening.

While that vent is not "through the wall", the intent of this applies to that (which is included in my comment below).

- P3103.6 Extension through the wall.
    - - Vent terminals extending through the wall shall terminate a minimum of 10 feet (3048 mm) from the lot line and 10 feet (3048 mm) above the highest adjacent grade within 10 feet (3048 mm) horizontally of the vent terminal. Vent terminals shall not terminate under the overhang of a structure with soffit vents. Side wall vent terminals shall be protected to prevent birds or rodents from entering or blocking the vent opening.

If there is a vent in the soffit, the plumbing vent needs to be relocated, or, the soffit vents closed off, which, or course, could then affect the attic ventilation.

The code does not want the sewer gases to be able to be drawn back into the structure without first being adequately diluted with outside air, hence the distance separation requirement.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com