Default lost my best friend this week

hey all

when i was younger and more riskier and foolish, i wanted a harley, even though i knew i would kill myself.

thank god for sane honey's,,she said no and bought me a chocalate lab named harley

as usual he became my best friend and stayed by my side for thirteen great years

well he left me last week.

and even though you think you are tough as nailed,,i cried for hours and cancelled two inspections that next day. will miss him everyday of my life

thanks for your time
    charlie

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: lost my best friend this week

Charlie,

My condolences. I know what you are going through. I lost my Springer Spaniel named Zeke over 9 years ago (age 14) and I still miss him every day. Enjoy the memories of the good times you had with Harley.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Charlie
    I to lost my friend, just over a year ago. I cried for days, and still miss him. It's strange just how close we can become to our four legged family members. Anyhow my sympathies are with you.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

John Achin Guest

Charlie,
    Sorry about your loss, we lost both these guys to cancer a month ago and know how terrible it feels.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

sorry for all of your losses----it is hard

john what kind of long haired dog is that black one
    charlie

Charlie - My condolences. I lost my german shepherd Jasper about 10 years ago, but he still appears in my dreams.
    Most people without pets don't understand.

Charlie,

I'm sorry for your loss man.

A dog is really a mans best friend. They accept us for what we are.

You and your wife should get out and get you another lab as soon as possible. It won't replace the love you had for your Harley, but I bet it will come close.

Rick

John Achin Guest

Charlie,
    The black long-haired dog, BlueJacket, was a mix of Afghan hound, Irish Wolfhound, and Mastiff. He had a great disposition- very mellow. We still have his brother (from the same litter). Here's a a couple pics of Sampson:.

great pics

how about that handsome guy in the middle, thanks for the reply
    charlie

Wow, look at the size of the head on that dog.

We'd call that cattle here in Texas.

Love the expression on the youngun too.

rick

Someone emailed me this sign, Maybe Charlie you'd be interested in a cat it says.

rick
    still have one of those, he is 19 years old and is on his 13th life

thanks but not thanks
    charlie

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

My condolenscences Charlie. I know as a fellow dog lover, I know a day will come when our Golden Retriever (Duncan) won't be with us any longer. When that day comes, I'll cry just the same as when I was a 9 year old cub scout and our family airedale had to be put to sleep. The only comfort I'll likely find is that the joy she brought us alive will far outweigh the pain we'll have when she's gone.

Dogs are nothing but good. They don't care if your had a bad day, if you're in a bad mood, or if your breath stinks. They can't wait to see you. True unconditional love.

Hang in there Charlie. I feel for you.

imported_John Smith Guest

Charlie,
    Sorry to hear about your loss (and everyone else who replied to your post). I have a couple of hounds that I am extremely attached to. At least once a week, I think how much I will miss them when they are gone, and hope I never have to face taking them to the vet to be put down in their old age. Enjoy them while you can, never taking for granted their short lives. I try to schedule my inspections so I can take them for morning walks before I start my work. I miss them when I have to be away from them for more than a day.

Its amazing how much we become attached to them.

Charlie sorry to hear about your loss. It is difficult, I know first hand as I'm sure many of our fellow poster know all so well. We lost two of our four legged family members almost two years ago with the pet food poison fiasco.

Now we have Eve (Black Schnauzer) and Kellsie (Boarder Collie) in their little boxes on a shelf in our bedroom. I know, but it makes my wife happy. Besides, I told her that she needs to get use to them as this is what I want, except that I want to be passed around every year at Christmas time to our children! Re-gifting at its best!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

thanks to all

it shows the true soft side to all of us. my lady and i will be taking the long walk that harley and i took every morning and night on the golf course and spreading his ashes. his rabbitt friends i'm sure will be asking where he is, and i will probable tell them. it will not be easy and we are prepared for it, but a tribute to my forever lasting motorcycle will make us both laugh at the funny things he did and the love he gave us. thank you all for your compassion and words of brotherhood

love you guys
    charlie

Charlie,

I know the feeling you are going through. Last year I had to put down my 15 year old German Short Haired Pointer. Her name was Amica (friend in Italian).

Its was an empty feeling for awhile, finding myself looking for the dog at the door, greeting me when I came home, waiting for her to jump up on my bed, or looking for her to come for a car ride, wanting to put her food out and refreshing her bowl of water no more.

My sympathies to you and your family.

Attached my two Vizslas - Xena and Bella I consider them my children. They are spoiled as all dogs should be, and it most certainly sounds that Harley enjoyed a good life with you as his master.

Raymond

Jim Zborowski Guest

Sorry about your dog, they seem like short four legged humans after a while don't they? Lost my toy poodle after 15 years several years ago, which makes me want to warn everyone of what happened to it.

Was a hot, dry summer so alot of people were having problems with fleas on their pets. Thinking I could prevent it, I put a flea collar on the dog. After a couple weeks, the dog wasn't feeling well so I took it the vet. Turns out the dog got CHF ( chronic heart failure ). Tthe vet said on really small dogs, coupled with its age, the CHF was brought about due to the phosphor in the flea collar. He said it causes the kidney to shut down, thereby causing fluids to build up in the heart.

I just don't understand you pet people. We have a dog (not my choice) I yearn for the day that SOB is dead. No more walks, cleaning the yard, money on food, etc. I just don't get the whole 'dog connection' thing, not that I really care to anyway. It's an 1 to an 1-1/2 hours of my life pissed away a day.
    Mind you I love animals.
    in a cage or on my dinner plate.
    Sorry if I sound insensitive, not trying to be. Just expressing my bewilderment about the dog/pet attachment phenomenon.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Marcus
    I understand that not everyone is a pet person, and that's OK.
    I can see that you may not understand the atachment someone can have for a pet. However to make such an insensative remark in this tread goes beyond lack of compassion.
    Compassion is:
    You may not feel the way I feel
    You may not even understand why I feel this way.
    But you understand that I do have feelings.

I don't know Charlie's dog. So I do not feel a loss
    I don't even know Charlie

But I do know that Charlie feels a loss
    So I feel for Charlie, ie. I feel Compassion for Charlie
    The compassion comes from me thinking about how I would/ did feel

As I said, your remark goes beyond lack of compassion.

PS I bet your dog feels the same about you.
    " I yearn for the day that SOB is dead"

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Someone emailed me this sign, Maybe Charlie you'd be interested in a cat it says.
    Thanks for the laugh, Rick!
    Can hardly type this for laughing!

If anyone did not get it, look at the picture of the cat on Ricks "found" poster.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Yeah, I figured I'd get some crap about that post, probably more on the way.
    My wife tells me from time to time I should look up compassion but I seem to have a hard time finding it.
    The pic is very funny. Our dog killed one of those in front of the house a few weeks ago. Had to scoop it up with a shovel before the neighbors kids could see it.
    Oddly enough, dogs (including ours) like me for some reason I also don't understand. As a side note, I'm not mean or abusive to the dog. I believe it's only fair and responsible to take good care of the thing if you have it. I just would prefer not to have it.
    We have a PO box for our mail because the mailman refuses to deliver to our house. The dog sees him as his next meal.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Charlie,
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. We had to put down our black lab a few years ago due to cancer. We now have two new girls to try to fill the void.

Markus,
    I don't know you at all, and probably don't want to. Just based on your comments here, you are truly an a**h_ _ _. I can see why some dogs seem to like you, they lick their own butts - you probably smell good to them.

Just added a new name to my ignore list

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    I just don't understand you pet people. We have a dog (not my choice) I yearn for the day that SOB is dead. No more walks, cleaning the yard, money on food, etc. I just don't get the whole 'dog connection' thing, not that I really care to anyway. It's an 1 to an 1-1/2 hours of my life pissed away a day.
    Mind you I love animals.
    in a cage or on my dinner plate.
    Sorry if I sound insensitive, not trying to be. Just expressing my bewilderment about the dog/pet attachment phenomenon.
    I can't understand for the life of me why you felt the need to post this Markus. I guess you are a Michael Vick fan.

The flood gates have opened.
    Nick, just because I don't have any need for a pet, does not mean I believe in cruelty to animals. Mic Vick and his ilk should get the same treatment they dish out on the animals.
    Same old story here though, say anything 'non pet friendly' and all the pet people freak out. I am sorry for Charlie's loss. I have seen others go through it and understand it is very difficult and emotional. Not trying to jerk Charlie's strings here just expressing a differing opinion and a bit of ongoing personal bewilderment. Granted the timing is poor.
    It's OK to hate me for it guys. I don't mind.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

wow markus

did you S#$* your heart out recently
    do you have kids-- hope not-because they too have to be taken places and have to eat--kill the bastards

charlie

Markus
    "I am sorry for Charlie's loss."
    You did not say that in your OP
    I do not know you, and have no opinion as to weather you are mean or cruel. And I certainly do not hate you, or even dislike you.

I say this without malice or anger.
    If you feel as you said in your first post, that is not normal. Now if you just posted without thinking, well that's not much better either.

I'm not the one to suggest to you to seek out help (therapy), however, as I said, having no compassion and telling someone else that is not altogether normal. Just by you posting ("ongoing personal bewilderment"), it says to me that you reconize that this is not right, you are concerned yourself and want to talk about it.
    Remember, it's not about "Pet people" or pets, it's about Charlie (or whoever).

May his remains someday be mixed with kitty litter.

I agree with Jack. Why not just be quite than say such a thing.

rick

I just don't understand you pet people....
    What a douche-bag.

...Sorry if I sound insensitive, not trying to be.
    Either a liar or an idiot.

...It's an 1 to an 1-1/2 hours of my life pissed away a day...
    Gee. What a waste. Since you clearly don't have a life, I don't see what difference it makes.

blah, blah blah
    Have I called you a moron, yet? I can't remember.

Ah yes, say something non pet friendly and everyone gets pissed.
    I find the vitriol being thrown out to be a rather fascinating statement about our culture's infatuation with pets. A few months ago, someone posted blatantly anti-gay rhetoric in another thread on this board. As I recollect, it was only myself and one other person who told him to stop.
    'To hell with other humans, as long as we protect and love the pets.' Go figure.
    Yes, I have kids. I draw the line between humans and animals.
    By the way Saturday night is italian beef night for the dog. When I get a shake, he gets a scoop of vanilla. Top that you whiners.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Markus, There may be a highly trained and talented professional in your area that can help you become more of a human being, but I wouldn't bet on it.

imported_John Smith Guest

Dipshit

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    Dipshit
    Well said.

markus

you have posted some great responses to threads in the past.

but this was tastless and cruel. be a man and take what you knew you would get, or maybe you didn't know. but now you do.

just shut up now and learn something about respecting how others think about the ones they love in life and the pain they experience when they are lost,wheather it's pets or humans.

God loves us all,four legged or two legged and even those without a heart.
    why don't you take your kids with you when you walk the dog, maybe that will bring you closer to the happiness of shared love

no more markus--go away with this
    charlie

I find the vitriol being thrown out to be a rather fascinating statement about our culture's infatuation with pets. A few months ago, someone posted blatantly anti-gay rhetoric in another thread on this board. As I recollect, it was only myself and one other person who told him to stop.
    'To hell with other humans, as long as we protect and love the pets.' Go figure.
    By the way Saturday night is italian beef night for the dog. When I get a shake, he gets a scoop of vanilla. Top that you whiners.
    So that's your defense Markus? Bring up a completely unrelated topic in an attempt to deflect attention away from the dust storm you kicked up with your mind boggling comments?

This has nothing to do with gay-rights or anything that took place in another thread. It has everything to do with recognizing this was not the time or place for you to get up on your soap box and tell everybody how pets are a waste of time and energy. Charlie put himself out there and expressed his sadness at the loss of a living creature that had been a member of his family for 13 years.

You don't have to like pets. Not everybody does and I can understand why somebody would not want one if they are not animal people. But your comments served nothing more than to belittle a way of life that is very important to some people and you made yourself look very callous and foolish in the process. The lack of judgement displayed is nothing short of astounding.

Next time Markus, think before your type.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's. " ~Mark Twain, letter to W.D. Howells, 2 April 1899

Harley will be there waiting for you Charlie, just like always.

Sorry for your loss.

I feel your pain. Lost my yellow lab about 3 yrs ago. She was 13. Best dog ever.

Sorry man.

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Yes, I have kids.
    Maybe He Resents Not being The Center of Attention all the Time ?

signed ( a Whiner.)

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Hi Charlie and All,

Charlie, I’m with ya and can only offer my condolences. I’ve been there, too.

My wife has terrible allergies so we don’t have a dog. I’d love to get another one.

I regularly take my daughter (9) to the local pound and she and I play with the dogs. We go about once a week. She makes up names for them and currently is fond of a 3 month old blood hound she simply calls “Mr. Hound”.

This has been circulating the internet for a while. I always liked it.

The Old Man and His Dog

Best Wishes

Corey

Like I always say to my 15 year old. It's not always what you say, but how you say it. In this case, you clearly don't get it and according to your previous posts, you never will.
    Pet lover, non-pet lover, it doesn't matter. What you can do is be a little bit more sensative. Losing a pet may mean nothing to you, but it does to others.

Charles Sessums Guest

How odd.
    The feed back you received was for your lack of compassion. It has nothing to do with the pet but rather one man's grief and your indifference to it.

One thing that separates us from animals is the ability to empathize and have compassion on another living creature. It seems this puts you in the category of being...............................

well...........................

a pet.

By the way I love my dogs. When it is time for them to die I will grieve and miss them.

Last edited by Charles Sessums; 09-01-2008 at 02:40 PM. Reason: omission

Herb Scott Guest

Charlie, I love all dogs, but there is something about a Lab. I've gone through what you are going through and I understand. My condolences. I have a 2 1/2 year old yellow female. Just this past weekend ,visiting my daughter in Asheville, I brought home a chocolate male who spent the 18 months of his life tied to a 6 ft. chain. Now she's got a great brother who looks just like I'll bet Harley did some time ago. I'll throw him the ball tomorrow and when I do I'll tell him that Harley sent it. And he'll (Chester) run like a bat out of hell in Harley's name.
    Take care.

Ron Bibler Guest

Hey Charlie and all. Its good to have some friends around.

The Labs name is Max and he is 9years
    The Yorkshire terrier name is Chewy he is 3 years.

Best

Ron

Charles Sessums Guest

My four girls and the guys

Our 7yr. old Yorkie Bindi Su
    She rules at our home! Wouldn't take a million bucks for her.

rick

I saw this on a wall in a pet store in Calif. when I was on vacation and it reminded me of this thread.

rick

to all my brothers

haven't checked this thread for some time--but did today and i again want to thank you all from deborah and myself and above all harley for you compassion

we finally did our last walk with harley's ashes the other day along the highlands ranch golf course first hole---harleys favorite--and now mine.

forever more i hope a birdie that sucker or i will hear it from my buddie---rick great photos--charles great family and bless your son for serving and herb thanks for the ball throw--one of harleys favorite games and ron thank you too

god bless all
    charlie

Hey Chaz.... sorry to hear about Harly.... I't s hard when you lose a pet... when we lost Bear it was tough but we got a new puppy Milo and it lessend the loss.... now Murphy our old pup is 14 so prolly not long for this world.... so life goes on.
    As for the brother that doesn't understand dog lovers I'm not sure I understand non dog lovers.... dogs just love you unconditionally for no apparent reason.... what's not to love about that? I know he has a right to voice his opinion but like my Dad used to say " Don't say everything you know" just a little advice.... see you Tuesday B

Richard Moore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    ....and even though you think you are tough as nailed,,i cried for hours and cancelled two inspections that next day. will miss him everyday of my life.
    Charlie,
    I missed this thread originally as I was on vacation. My condolences. All I can say is that I've been there, the last time about 4 years ago when my Huskie mix "Charlie" (pure coincidence) succumbed to pneumonia only a week or two after he seemed to be finally getting back to normal after surgery for cancer. I'm not ashamed to say I was also physically incapacited with grief for a while. Charlie was a pound rescue, but there was this immediate bond from the time we first met, even through his cage wire.

There's a passage from an old trial that sums up how I feel about dogs...

George Graham Vest Speech - A Tribute to Dogs

I've been through this a number of times now but the pain is always worth the memories. The wife and I lasted a whole week this time before needing to fill the gap in our lives and finding "Dudley" at a shelter. One day in the far future, I will have to grieve for him but, for now, he is the newest best dog in the whole wide world!

My advice: Go to your shelter or pound and give another dog a better life. You will be rewarded with new devotion.