Mitchell Meeks Guest

Default Computer Hijacking on Airless Cards

I have an airless card by one of the major carriers and I had my computer hijacked again today for the uptenth time. I had another card with a different carrier and after it happened then, I asked them to change the phone number. I do not know what they did but after 7 hours of tech support and several trips to the store I changed carriers completely. Lo and behold it happened again later with the new card and carrier.

I have a tablet and it is installed in my truck. I have a short screensaver time frame to help eliminate the hijacking. I have noticed that they (whoever they is, I do not know) can only get into it when the lid is closed but before the screensaver kicks in. I will open the lid to check my emails or calendar or whatever and I will find a bunch of different screens up there. I originally passed it off that I must have hit some buttons when I closed it. But then I realized that it was too specific. I tried to flip the tablet lid around where I could still see the screen but maybe it was still "closed" but to no avail. So now I either have to disconnect or I have to leave the lid up. I am in and out of my truck all day and this computer really helps me do my work so getting rid of it is really out of the question.

The funny thing is the carrier told me that it was impossible for it do that. If that is so how did my network connections screen pop up after I closed the lid. Or some sign on page to a utility company is up there when I open the lid. Apparently they are getting through a port and getting into the computer. So far they have not done anything but then again I do not have a whole lot of files in there but it does really concern me. Has anyone had something like this happen? Also anybody know how I can catch "they". And by the way it has happened in the large city where I work and also on the open highway going down the road so I do not think it is necessarily a local connection.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Computer Hijacking on Airless Cards

Could it be "spyware" that is doing it? Spyware can do some strange things to computers. Once it is in a system it has control until it is removed. I have what I think as very good spyware protection, yet I still get one every now and then.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Mitchell Meeks Guest

I don't think it is spyware. I can open the lid and I can find files open, different websites open. Today The Sams Club website was open and it looks like they were trying to email something out. Fortunately for me, I don't have it set up where it can send emails. Another time a utility company site was open to the log in page.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Meeks View Post
    I don't think it is spyware. I can open the lid and I can find files open, different websites open. Today The Sams Club website was open and it looks like they were trying to email something out. Fortunately for me, I don't have it set up where it can send emails. Another time a utility company site was open to the log in page.
    Multitude of How To Hack Wireless Cards on U Tube.
    Hopefully its only someone trying to get free Internet.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Simple solution.

I also have an air card, and have had it for about 5-6 years, I have never had that problem.

When you leave your truck, "disconnect" from the air card server, when you get back in, "reconnect".

It only takes a very few seconds to "reconnect", in which case you are not open to anyone trying to mess with your computer.

You have been fortunate that all they are doing is 'using' your computer, they could disable it or crash it.

"Disconnect" - it's easy.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Leaving your computer on or in the sleep mode all day is an invitation. Disconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Meeks View Post
    I have an airless card by one of the major carriers and I had my computer hijacked again today for the uptenth time. I had another card with a different carrier and after it happened then, I asked them to change the phone number. I do not know what they did but after 7 hours of tech support and several trips to the store I changed carriers completely. Lo and behold it happened again later with the new card and carrier.

I have a tablet and it is installed in my truck. I have a short screensaver time frame to help eliminate the hijacking. I have noticed that they (whoever they is, I do not know) can only get into it when the lid is closed but before the screensaver kicks in. I will open the lid to check my emails or calendar or whatever and I will find a bunch of different screens up there. I originally passed it off that I must have hit some buttons when I closed it. But then I realized that it was too specific. I tried to flip the tablet lid around where I could still see the screen but maybe it was still "closed" but to no avail. So now I either have to disconnect or I have to leave the lid up. I am in and out of my truck all day and this computer really helps me do my work so getting rid of it is really out of the question.

The funny thing is the carrier told me that it was impossible for it do that. If that is so how did my network connections screen pop up after I closed the lid. Or some sign on page to a utility company is up there when I open the lid. Apparently they are getting through a port and getting into the computer. So far they have not done anything but then again I do not have a whole lot of files in there but it does really concern me. Has anyone had something like this happen? Also anybody know how I can catch "they". And by the way it has happened in the large city where I work and also on the open highway going down the road so I do not think it is necessarily a local connection.
    Once in a computer, there are many things a hacker can do to make your device an "at will" slave especially with a MS Windows operating system. Root Kits can be installed, some can actually replace the operating system so everything looks normal to standard Anti-virus software. It can record keystrokes, listen to your conversations (yes, if there is a sound circuit, even without a microphone). Have built in web-cam? They can turn it on and spy. One can copy files and records, including passwords and user names that can be unencrypted. I can't say how I know, but much time and money have been spent on developing remote computer espionage tools. And that's by "authorized" sources, not including those with less than good intentions.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA