Default Height of outlet

House I inspected yesterday had all of the receptacles including telephone and cable mounted hortizonially and only three inches from the floor in the baseboard. Is this height correct?

Jim Murphy

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Height of outlet

Unless modified by local amendments, there is no NEC rule regarding device heights relating to receptacles.

ADA requirements are different.

Many of the expensive homes I did were that way, that's the way the buyers wanted them - in the marble base, not in the wall.

I think it was 'common practice' in many of the older homes 'way back when' as I remember seeing a lot of older homes that way too. I suspect it was easier, less messy (no cutting out of plaster and then repair it), and less obtrusive to add outlets to a home which did not have wiring (as I said 'way back when') to cut into the wood base and install the outlets there. Also leaves the wall cleaner looking.

The cords are going to fall to the floor anyway, why not have them start out near the floor?

As Jim said, no NEC code requirement. Just a minimum height in the ADA requirements (which also includes Fair Housing Act units, as I recall).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

What about switch height. I thought I read that switches for lights. fans etc had to be not over a particular height.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    What about switch height. I thought I read that switches for lights. fans etc had to be not over a particular height.
    From the 2008 NEC. (underlining and bold are mine)
    - ARTICLE 404 Switches
    - - 404.8 Accessibility and Grouping.
    - - - (A) Location. All switches and circuit breakers used as switches shall be located so that they may be operated from a readily accessible place. They shall be installed such that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the floor or working platform.
    - - - - Exception No. 1: On busway installations, fused switches and circuit breakers shall be permitted to be located at the same level as the busway. Suitable means shall be provided to operate the handle of the device from the floor.
    - - - - Exception No. 2: Switches and circuit breakers installed adjacent to motors, appliances, or other equipment that they supply shall be permitted to be located higher than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) and to be accessible by portable means.
    - - - - Exception No. 3: Hookstick operable isolating switches shall be permitted at greater heights.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

One place that height would be regulated differently if ADA compliance is required.

In certain areas of the country is it not code to have all receptacle outlets installed above flood height?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    In certain areas of the country is it not code to have all receptacle outlets installed above flood height?
    Jerry M.,

Yes, but it is also code to ... have the structural floor above flood height too.

Well, at least above the FEMA determined "base flood elevation" and whatever free board the locals determine they want above it when they establish "design flood elevation".

Which sometimes is proven to have been in error.

(Didn't know if you were referencing the flooding down here from Fay, or the flooding in NO from Katrina, and a possible repeat from Gustav. We all know that NO is not going to flood again, the gobmint made the dikes stronger ... right? )

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com