Default Latest TREC Disciplinary Actions

Copied this from the lastest TREC advisor.

Name of the guilty party has been removed on my part.

Thought it was an interesting read of what some HI's feel is not important to document.

Agreed 30-day suspension of professional inspector license fully probated for 24 months, effective May 1, 2008; acting negligently or incompetently in the performance of the structural, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing portions of the inspection by failing to report evidence of a previous fire, and by leading the buyers to believe that the inspection was complete in scope; by failing to report improper grading around foundation walls; by failing to report deficiencies in the roof structure and sheathing; by failing to report as in need of repair inadequate combustion air to the furnace and the furnace vent pipe in dangerous proximity to combustible materials where it penetrated the roof; by failing to report as in need of repair the absence of shut-off valves on sink water supply lines and supply and wastewater pipes that were improperly supported with blocks of wood or other scrap construction materials; by failing to report as in need of repair the water heater vent pipe in dangerous proximity to combustible materials in the water heater closet and attic, in violation of �1102.301 of the Texas Occupations Code, and �� 535.228-229 of the Texas Administrative Code

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Latest TREC Disciplinary Actions

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Copied this from the lastest TREC advisor.

Name of the guilty party has been removed on my part.

Thought it was an interesting read of what some HI's feel is not important to document.

Agreed 30-day suspension of professional inspector license fully probated for 24 months, effective May 1, 2008; acting negligently or incompetently in the performance of the structural, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing portions of the inspection by failing to report evidence of a previous fire, and by leading the buyers to believe that the inspection was complete in scope; by failing to report improper grading around foundation walls; by failing to report deficiencies in the roof structure and sheathing; by failing to report as in need of repair inadequate combustion air to the furnace and the furnace vent pipe in dangerous proximity to combustible materials where it penetrated the roof; by failing to report as in need of repair the absence of shut-off valves on sink water supply lines and supply and wastewater pipes that were improperly supported with blocks of wood or other scrap construction materials; by failing to report as in need of repair the water heater vent pipe in dangerous proximity to combustible materials in the water heater closet and attic, in violation of �1102.301 of the Texas Occupations Code, and �� 535.228-229 of the Texas Administrative Code
    That is why a HI should not sleep thru his inspection. All very common finds. That must have been one of those 150.00 inspections and 4 inspections a day deal.

Man, Looks like He was hit with everything but Refusing Payment.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I'm sure he is probably putty in the hands of some Realtor somewhere.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

I'm sure he is probably putty in the hands of some Realtor somewhere.

rick
    Rick

Do you get the trec advisor by email or in the mail?

imported_John Smith Guest

I get the TREC advisor right off the TREC website, put in your inspector# and your last 4 ssn. I gave it a very quick glance today, but missed the reference to the inspector disciplinary action. I guess I failed to sift through all of the actions against agents/brokers. They sure do get in a lot of trouble........

imported_John Smith Guest

I love it when TREC references "by failing to report improper grading around foundation walls"

I dont recall anywhere TREC specifies what is proper grading or references a code (such as IRC).

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Rick

Do you get the trec advisor by email or in the mail?

Ted,

I get a email from TREC to let me know that the newletter is available online.

99.9% of the Disiplinary Actions taken are against realtors or brokers. Many of them are written up for not aquirring their CEU or misrepresenting something on a contract or to a client. Imagine that?

Rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Ted,

I get a email from TREC to let me know that the newletter is available online.

99.9% of the Disiplinary Actions taken are against realtors or brokers. Many of them are written up for not aquirring their CEU or misrepresenting something on a contract or to a client. Imagine that?

Rick
    Rick

And the Realtors are afraid of liability by referring a single home inspector.

I keep trying to explain to them why we pay so much in insurance. To protect them and pay there legal bills and to take them out of the picture of liability involving us.

I keep Hearing about the 50 million a year worth of law suits against inspectors. The real payout is minimal.

I talk to inspectors all the time around the country. I still have not met anyone sued for anything real. I have talked to a few that put out a few hundred here and there over years of inspecting.

I know that anything that could be missed after I do an inspection would not come to a portion of the dam deductible we have to pay out for our insurance.

I have convinced several Realtors about the ridiculous scare put forth to them by attorneys.

There are some folks out there that do sleep thru inspections. That percentage is so small it is not worth considering. I know a man from Plano that has a thing against him thru trec and it is ridiculous. He actually wrote up a couple items but did not mark the check box in need of repair. Talk about foolishness. The client is told on the contract page to read the whole report and ask questions if they do not understand something and to contact the inspector first about questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Rick

I keep Hearing about the 50 million a year worth of law suits against inspectors. The real payout is minimal.

I talk to inspectors all the time around the country. I still have not met anyone sued for anything real. I have talked to a few that put out a few hundred here and there over years of inspecting.
    I Don't know you and I have no idea where you got the ideas expressed above. But I have done numerous expert witness cases or been otherwise involved against inspectors who were put out of business or into bankruptcy. I think you may want to tighten your sphincter a little and be more serious about what your profession is and what an inspector error could cause. Death of a tennis star on Long Island due to a bad furnace vent? Death of a child? Fire? Get real. If inspectors were getting away with giving out a few hundred here and there the insurance rates would not be so high. Most recently I was involved in a house that burned down and the suit was for the cost of a new home plus damages. Wake up and smell the smoke.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Ghent View Post
    I Don't know you and I have no idea where you got the ideas expressed above. But I have done numerous expert witness cases or been otherwise involved against inspectors who were put out of business or into bankruptcy. I think you may want to tighten your sphincter a little and be more serious about what your profession is and what an inspector error could cause. Death of a tennis star on Long Island due to a bad furnace vent? Death of a child? Fire? Get real. If inspectors were getting away with giving out a few hundred here and there the insurance rates would not be so high. Most recently I was involved in a house that burned down and the suit was for the cost of a new home plus damages. Wake up and smell the smoke.
    Wake up and smell your own gas

Obviously you did not read my post

Obviously you did not see the jist of things (Realtors compared to HI with trec action against them)

You get real, you don't know me and I certainly do not want to know you self righteous ass now.

I for one will never miss a bad vent

I think you need to look at the total amount of inspections per year verses law suits and *real* items missed.

This is another sky is falling bull.

Do *Some* home inspectors miss items. Yes. Do most of those misses involved being sued no.

Tighten up my sphincter. I suggest you tighten up your ass because you are talking out of it.

Fact

I have known a serious amount of home inspectors. I do not know one of them that was ever sued for anything to do with home inspections.

In conversation with different reps from different insurance companies the figure is about 50,000,000.00 (sued for) not obtained.

It never fails once someone gets involved in the *litigation* end of things
    suddenly all HI are at such God awful risk that they should think of another line of business.

Further more, you don't know me at all. Who the hell do you think you are to attack me for anything or talk to me like that.

Go back and read the post. It had to do with 2 people talking about Realtors and home inspectors. In (HI) verses Realtors have about one percent or a fraction of the claims against us but we are always looked upon as the bad guys and high liability.

Upper 90% of home inspectors will never use their insurance because what they will ever pay out would be less than their deductible. (FACT)

So MR start the day out bad Ghent, Get a grip. The sky is not falling. Have home inspectors been sued, has a cop ever been sued, has a lawyer ever been sued, has a school teacher ever been sued, has anyone ever made a mistake and someone get hurt.

The answer to all that is yes but the sky is not falling. It does not happen to everyone.

Apology excepted

Thank you