Eric Laney Guest

Default Floating chimney?

Did a 1935 pier and beam today. A brick chimney was visible in the attic and going through the roof, but no fireplace or chimney was visible inside the home. It was located above the wall between the kitchen and living room. I saw a round cover where possibly a stove pipe went through the wall towards the chimney, so I thought maybe it was for an old wood stove in the kitchen. At the moment there is a metal flue for the floor furnace traveling from under the house, up through a chase in the living room, into the bottom of the brick chimney in the attic. Sorry, no photos. Inside the chase I saw no definite means of support for the bricks except vertical 2x4's in the corners of the chase. anyone see this before? My concern is lack of support for the "floating" chimney. Instinct tells me there is no such chimney, perhaps home was moved to site after removing old fireplace?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Eric Laney Guest

Default Re: Floating chimney?

11 views and no takers? Common guys, I have to submit my report. Jerry where are you? Well at least I'm not the only one stumped.

Just catching up. I'm in Greenville, SC doing inspections (arrived yesterday, leaving tomorrow).

You did not see a chimney in the crawlspace?

Could be the chimney was a fake and is supported by framing.

If it was an old stove pipe and chimney, I would think you would have seen it in the crawlspace. Could be an old stove pipe (smoke pipe) in a hidden chase, and the brick is only in the attic and through the roof.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Eric,

I see those all the time on older homes. These are usually unlined, a single course of brick and held up by wood framing somewhere within the wall. Around here, there will often be an access hatch/door into a small space between parallel walls that allows access. These were typically used to vent the kitchen range. Older ranges sometimes had heaters and/or were a combination gas/wood burning type. Sometimes, the water heater would also be vented through the masonry chimney as would the furnace.

Since we are prone to earthquakes, I recommend removing them. They are not reinforced, the mortar is typically shot and they are usually no longer being used. Yeah, yeah... I do advise rerouting any exhaust flues, as needed.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I once inspected a home with a solid brick fireplace and foundation, but NO chimney any where. Never had one. I don't know if it was planned that way or they run out of bricks. Built in 1944.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Eric Laney Guest

Thank you Gunnar, you were right on the money, and this one also had crumbling mortar. No earthquakes here, but I suppose a Texas twister might be able to move it...

David Banks Guest

They are called Bracket Chimneys. Made mostly at turn of the century homes.
    Supported by wood brackets tied into wood frame walls.
    You should report them as they are fire hazard and structurally suspect.
    Quote: The Illustrated Home by Carlson Dunlop.