Gary Smith Guest

Talking Mission Possible - Inspector's Email Box Fodder

Your mission, Jim, should you decide to accept it, is to decipher this message and read it for it's hidden meaning. If you fail...you will, (not the message) self destruct in 5 seconds.

I have recently opted not to use some inspectors I have used in the past. Do not ask names or details as I do not like to gossip. I have added you to my list of preferred inspectors. Send me any info you would like me to pass along to buyers to guide them in choosing an inspector.

I would like a price sheet for you.

I send a list with phone numbers and links to websites. I offer no opinion on one over the other. I only tell them the differences I know between the inspectors. I encourage them not to make a decision based on pricing.

Are you Standing in a Stinky Poof of Smoke?
    If not you were able to dodge another bombing attempt...

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Gary Smith; 09-01-2008 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Spelling...
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Mission Possible - Inspector's Email Box Fodder

I wouldn't send a price sheet! Makes it too easy for the customer to choose based on price alone without understanding what they are getting intol.

They either pissed her off by killing deals or not finding stuff that came back to the realtor when the buyer DID find it.

I'd probably send her a sales pitch and a notice about not providing a price sheet as prices vary based on ????????

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Gary,

What did you do to even get considered for being a "Preferred Inspector"?

rick

If I thought that realtor was worth a comment I would say.

Gary Smith Guest

Rick, I really didn't do anything. I knew her before she "got into" real estate.

In Central Mississippi, all we inspectors hear is "we don't recommend one inspector" and "our legal department has mentioned that we need to give out at least three names".

Yet, it's kinda odd that she stated:

I have recently opted not to use some inspectors I have used in the past.
    Guess I made the short list? Humm?

Got into a "let's cut the crap" kinda conversation with about 3 agents in their office the other day. (since times are slow...we've got time to sit around chit chat)

The consensus is that inspectors are hired by and are basically employees of...The Realtor. So much so that they, the agents, mentioned that I may as well send them my info in the form of a resume. Why? Because inspectors would not be working unless the agent "got us hired". They felt that with advertising cost, insurance, and other costs of doing business that home inspectors couldn't and wouldn't rely on "outside means" of advertising to inform potential clients of our services.

Give me thoughts....

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Smith View Post
    The consensus is that inspectors are hired by and are basically employees of...The Realtor.

Give me thoughts....
    Ask them if they take out standard deductions and issue you a paycheck, how much is it for?

If they say 'We mean *contract employees* ... ' then tell us what they say you you tell them that your contract 'is with the client, not the agent' and add 'but that can change if you want to pay for the inspections'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The consensus is that inspectors are hired by and are basically employees of...The Realtor. So much so that they, the agents, mentioned that I may as well send them my info in the form of a resume.

Give me thoughts....
    Sounds like a Case of ( ain't I the One) Big Head.
    Unless they sign the Agreement & Pay the tab they are only part of the process.
    Do they want to Sell the Property without a Home Inspection ?
    Do they want to assume the liability ?
    Or do they want a Whipping boy for when things go wrong?
    Kills me when they ask how much do you charge! ( How much are you going to get at the Closing Table ? ) ( What are your Qualifications to Represent the Buyer? ) ( Do You Do this Full Time? ) ( What organizations Do You belong to? ) ( Do you Have IN$URANCE? ) Mr/Ms Realtor !

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Interesting set of realtors you hang around...

Last month I did about 3 buyer inspections that were referreals from realtors. I performed an inspection every weekday. The jobs came from repeat customers, referrals from previous clients, or warranty inspections I created through direct marketing.

Agent referrals are a minor part of my overall business. The agents who do refer me, treat me with respect. Most have used me to inspect their own properties.

Sounds like the realtors you are dealing with are the kind that the realtor jokes are about.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Gary Smith Guest

Our market in Jackson has about 250,000 people and over 65 inspectors. With all the new guys munching off the Realtor meetings the agents here have an abundance of inspectors who keep the cookies, donuts, and goodies flowing, with 5 new inspectors coming into the market in the last 6 weeks there is plenty of fresh blood to work with.

Our market in Jackson has about 250,000 people and over 65 inspectors.
    With How many Thousands of Licensed Real Estate Agents?
    Do the Appraisers, Closing Attorneys, Lending Institutions and all the Trades People work For The Realtor as well?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Why? Because inspectors would not be working unless the agent "got us hired". They felt that with advertising cost, insurance, and other costs of doing business that home inspectors couldn't and wouldn't rely on "outside means" of advertising to inform potential clients of our services.

They're right! There's ton's of inspectors feeding at the realtor trough without making any effort to attract clients on their own. They last awhile, until they make the realtor mad and get taken off the list.

Survivor's don't turn em away, but spend more time & money marketing direct to consumers & past clients.

To each their own!

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Bruce Thomas Guest

Market continuously and beware of strangers (Realtors) bearing gifts

Bruce

Ted Menelly Guest

I say market to everyone. Little to marketing to agents but still, nothing wrong to marketing to them. You will get referrals but you still work for your client not the realtor. If they don't like it they won't refer you again. If they don't like it you don't want those referrals anyway. That is the same for any referral. You still are just working for the client.

Out of a hundred Realtors that started on January first you are lucky if there are a very small handful left at the end of the year. But in saying that, many, many inspections or at the very least referrals that you have to turn into inspections will come your way. By not marketing them at all (including ones that you inspected clients homes for) you will miss out on thousands at the end of the year. I could probably name the small handful of good constant referring Realtors that I have. The rest are come and go. Kinda like a cheap date but your price does not have to be cheap.