Ron Bibler Guest

Default THE BANKS ARE DOING NICE PAINT JOBS

I have been doing a lot of bank inspection this year. One thing the banks are getting good at is a nice paint job.

My first inspection to day had a very nice paint job just completed last week now in escrow. look what they were covering with the paint.
    Master bathroom toilet leaking over the dining room ceiling.

This was impossible to see without the Infrared Camera.

Best

Ron

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: THE BANK ARE DOING NICE PAINT JOBS

Ron,

Are you scanning the entire house or did you have other indicators the toilet was leaking?

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Ron Bibler Guest

This home was a complete scan of the interior walls, flooring and ceilings.

I provide this as an add on service on top of my standard inspection.

I find stuff like this all the time with the IR Camera. This home had a tile floor in the bathroom. No water stains in any of the accessible areas.

This photo is a stand out for the IR Camera.

Best

Ron

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    This home was a complete scan of the interior walls, flooring and ceilings.

I find stuff like this all the time with the IR Camera. This home had a tile floor in the bathroom. No water stains in any of the accessible areas.

This photo is a stand out for the IR Camera.

Best

Ron
    I congratulate you for charging as an extra service. I sure wish all would and it would be worth it to me. Our area has so many that give everything away and is hard to justify the multiple thousands to pay for a good camera. They all advertise that an IR camera scan is included. The foolish part of it is they are not working much more than me and some a lot less.

I know I sound like I am dead against the cameras but I am not. I have always said as an extra service with an extra fee.

A mechanic is not going to throw in a break job for free because he is putting 4 new tires on a vehicle.

Not that you need this from me Ron but you are making me proud.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I congratulate you for charging as an extra service. I sure wish all would and it would be worth it to me. Our area has so many that give everything away and is hard to justify the multiple thousands to pay for a good camera. They all advertise that an IR camera scan is included. The foolish part of it is they are not working much more than me and some a lot less.

I know I sound like I am dead against the cameras but I am not. I have always said as an extra service with an extra fee.

A mechanic is not going to throw in a break job for free because he is putting 4 new tires on a vehicle.

Not that you need this from me Ron but you are making me proud.
    I stand with you Ted as Brothers from other Mothers.

If your going to do something. Charge for it...

Best

Ron

I did that too, only I did not charge extra for it per se.

I charged by the hour, so, in effect, the more services I provided, the longer it took, the more I charged ... so, I did 'charge more for it', just not 'an extra fee'.

Also, the more services I provided, the more my clients liked it, the more referrals I got, the longer my inspections took, and ... the more money I made.

With my clients smiling with me all the way to the bank.

Cannot ask for more than that - happy clients happily handing your large sums of money.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Hey Jerry some things are just down right fun. ya think.

Inspecting for the buyer of bank own homes and then getting the add on.

then going to the bank with the cash in hand.

Best

Ron

Lou Collier Guest

Ron, nice pics. Can you tell me what camera you are using and whether you would recommend it? Is there another unit that you think is better?

Hey Jerry some things are just down right fun. ya think.

Inspecting for the buyer of bank own homes and then getting the add on.

then going to the bank with the cash in hand.

Best

Ron
    Ron,
    Please tell me its not so.

rick

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Collier View Post
    Ron, nice pics. Can you tell me what camera you are using and whether you would recommend it? Is there another unit that you think is better?
    I use a FLIR B2 120X140 RES. Very nice Camera. I think for the home inspector you don't want any thing less.

Im always on the control of Delta T.
    I have a small heater with a fan on it. with out that heater the photo of the toilet was very hard to see anything...

I think the FLIR B2 Is a great Camera. It works very good for home inspection. You can pick up a used one for around $ 5K TO 6K.
    You will need a wide 35° lenz. New about $ 8,500.

Best

Ron

Lou Collier Guest

Thanks for the info, Ron. Looks like I can get a new Flir B2 for $ 6300 at Professional Equipment (on clearance).

Interesting idea about using the heater to make the temperature difference more visible. Is this something you learned at an IR class or just something you figured out?

I really like the idea of the IR cameras and also like the way the prices have dropped so much recently. I can see all kinds of uses for these during inspections and want to get one soon.

Anyone else have an IR camera that they like and can recommend?

Last edited by Lou Collier; 09-03-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: added comment on using heater

Exclamation Re: THE BANK ARE DOING NICE PAINT JOBS

Check into Fluke Fusion cameras. You can the same shot as a std. digital image then the IR version. Awesome tool!

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Ron Bibler Guest

[quote=Lou Collier;55992] Interesting idea about using the heater to make the temperature difference more visible. Is this something you learned at an IR class or just something you figured out? quote]

This was something i pic up on my own. It works very well. there so many things that will be part of a standard IR Programs for home inspectors in the years to come. With out the heater i find that there are so many areas that you just can not get the Image to show with out the control of Delta T.

Best

Ron

William Galbraith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Collier View Post

Lou,

I suggest calling The Snell Group, Vermont, for an unbiased opinion on IR cameras. They do not endorse any particular camera manufacturer.
    800-636-9820.

Bill

William Galbraith Guest

Ron,

May I have your permission to save these images in my Photo file? I collect what I can for various show and tell presentations.

Thanks,

Bill

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by William Galbraith View Post
    Ron,

May I have your permission to save these images in my Photo file? I collect what I can for various show and tell presentations.

Thanks,

Bill
    All yours bub. Got these 2 in today. Lower L. Hot water pipe in downstairs bedroom wall under the kitchen. Plumbing leak from the dish washer. The buyer only wanted the standard insp. no IR. I found this when he was in the garage. Im just going to say something about a leak if he or the plumber wants more they can pay me to come back out a use the camera for the information. The wack job was trying to save a buck!
    If i did not have this camera this would be an overlook.

Best

Ron

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

William Galbraith Guest

Thanks, Ron.

We need to have a visit when you have some time. I am in the office the rest of the week. Central Standard time, two hours difference.

Cell: 405-570-0270 Best to try first.
    Home office: 405-340-6013

Thanks,

Bill Galbraith

Ron,

You sure that is a hot water leak?

Looking at the hot window, it was hot outside, could it have been hot air entering into the stud cavity from a pipe penetrating through to the outside?

I've seen COLD water lines do that where there is a hose bib on the exterior right at that point. Sun (direct sun on hose bibb) combined with hot outdoor air heats up the brass hose bibb and copper piping, it is greatest right there, then tapers off as it gets further away.

I've also seen what you say from hot water leaks, I've also seen it from heated PVC DWV from the sun heating the end where it terminated through the roof, that heat traveled all the way down. You can see the clean out turned sideways and used as a test tee.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Yes things are not always what they seam to be. its a plumbing leak. moisture meter 40%. on the sheet rock. This wall area was clear before i ran the dish washer.

Best

Ron

P.S. JERRY. Please take a look at my post on

( rear main condo supports )

Thanks.

Brandon Chew Guest

Re: photo of bathroom in Jerry's post #18.

I have to question the owner's taste in artwork. I'm not referring to the large painting above the water closet and bidet, but to the portrait on the wall above the counter on the right side.