Jerome W. Young Guest

Default 1/2 in roof decking under concrete flat tile

no clips were used , joists are 24 O.C. and 32/16 thickness. I thought it had to be 5/8 for tile roofs?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: 1/2 in roof decking under concrete flat tile

The 32/16 is not the thickness of the plywood sheathing, it is the span allowed. 32" roofing and 16" flooring.

There would have been another label giving its thickness, such as 15/32" (1/2"), 19/32" (5/8").

Based on the span rating of 32/16, that would be 15/32" (1/2") plywood (taken from Table R503.2.1.1(1).

Typically, you will find plywood with a span rating of 40/20, which would be 19/32" (5/8").

In the HVHZ (Miami-Dade and Broward counties) the minimum if 5/8" for roof sheathing.

The Florida Manual for installing roof tiles shows (under System II) "DIVISION 7 These guidelines cover Flat/Low, Medium and High Profile Roof Tile, using a minimum 3” tile headlap, or a designed limited headlap, on minimum 15/32” solid decking nailed in compliance with wind load requirements.", on page 24.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerome W. Young Guest

yup, my bad on that one. It WAS HOT AS HELL IN THERE! I saw 32/16 and thought 15/32 or 1/2 . Either way it appears that it is ok.