Default Hub n PVC in crawlspace

Just wondering if there is any issue of galvanized to PVC with coupling in unfinished crawl?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Hub n PVC in crawlspace

Ross,

Uhhh... Please tell me that isn't the only thing you are concerned about.

I believe there are specific types of rubber connectors for use when connecting metal pipes to plastic, but I would not be able to identify one over another.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Gunnar,

Not to worry. The crawl had a write up all its own. Just the plumbing question for me. Thanks.

Ross,

Those rubber adapters will state on them what they are for.

They may be used for (depending on what is molded into the rubber and states):

PVC to PVC (actually 'plastic' to 'plastic')

CI to CI

PVC to CI

There are also ones which transition from size to size, so you have to read what sizes they are for - although that part if pretty obvious.

There are single band one (like shown in the photo) and double band ones (which have two bands at each end) and 'banded' ones which have a stainless steel band wrapping entirely around them and which usually have two bands at each end - this type holds the rubber from bulging out like shown in the photo. Those 'banded' ones are the better ones, thus cost more, thus are used less, however, the banded ones are only available where there is no transition in size, the stainless steel band would not work with a size change.

Go here ( Flexible plumbing connectors, fittings, couplings, adaptors, patches for PVC and clay pipes. ) and look carefully at the fittings shown. You will see (on the left photo) where it states one end is for *4" CI/Plastic* and the other end is for *4" CI/Plastic*.

On the right photo you will see where it states *4" clay* for one end and to *4" CI/Plastic* for the other end.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 09-05-2008 at 06:56 AM.
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Joshua Hardesty Guest

Jerry -- they actually do make the banded type for transitioning pipe sizes. The rubber on one end is just that much thicker to keep the same overall O.D. of the rubber band. Whereas the non-banded type resembles a reducing coupling, these look more like a bushing. I can't find a picture for it though.

Transitioning with the banded type can be a little confusing. The kind shown in the photo is pretty flexible -- It can be used on most DWV pipes, and probably even copper piping, without leaking, because it's flexible enough to snug to the subtle differences in outer diameters. The banded types however are a bit more specific, as Jerry was talking about. For the "normal" cast iron to PVC, the cast iron side has slightly more rubber on it, since the cast iron pipe is slightly less in diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Hardesty View Post
    Jerry -- they actually do make the banded type for transitioning pipe sizes. The rubber on one end is just that much thicker to keep the same overall O.D. of the rubber band.
    Joshua,

That is good to know, I've just never seen one, not even in the catalogs (but confess I have not 'gone looking for one' either).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A bigger concern for me would be the pvc going into the ground. Does the pvc tie into a cast hub at grade or does the pvc go into the ground? The City and some burbs around here don't allow pvc below grade even in Res. The flex couplings are allowed many muni's around here above grade that I know of.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Steve Lowery Guest

Jerry, it is unreal, the amount of informqation you have catalogued. If it was well organized you could sell ( at least to me) subscriptions to a research site.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lowery View Post
    Jerry, it is unreal, the amount of informqation you have catalogued. If it was well organized you could sell ( at least to me) subscriptions to a research site.

Steve,

Unfortunately, much of it is in my head, and even I have a hard time finding it. My old vacuum tube model computer does not operate efficiently with the larger hard drives.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Steve Lowery Guest

Well, I'm packing alot of your refferences into folders in the Favorites center of IE , as I amagine many others are, but it is a really clumbsy place to work.
    Thanks, and stay healthy.

Steve,

Don't trust Favorites links - links go bad, information changes pages, moves to different websites, etc.

Download the information and save into your File Manager (My Computer) in an organized fashion.

If a page is not a pdf or jpg, maybe you can print it off as a pdf (sometimes yes, sometimes no), or use a graphics program to make a screen capture of the area you want with the information you want.

The other day I wanted to find something on Wirsbo PEX, but that is now Uponor and the links had changed, as well as the accessibility to the information - some of it is no longer accessible. I had what I wanted on my hard-drive, but it was too large to upload to this site.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Steve Lowery Guest

Thanx.

As a plumber in the Chicago land area I have ran into the need to connect different materials together. Plastic to Cast Iron, copper to galvanized and so on. Now some cites around here do not allow plastic pipe at all for the DWV system. hence the need for the copper to Galv couplings.

Now for the coupling you have pictured. It is unshielded type coupling. Almost all municipals I have had to use a "repair coupling" wanted a shielded or called No-shear coupling. Do not confuse that with a no-hub coupling there is a huge difference. Pictured are each. The one with the ribbed sides is a no-hub coupling which is used to install no-hub cast iron soil pipe. The reason they want the shielded couplings is pipes can shift and tear the rubber, and or the coupling can distort under water pressure.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    There are single band one (like shown in the photo) and double band ones (which have two bands at each end) and 'banded' ones which have a stainless steel band wrapping entirely around them and which usually have two bands at each end - this type holds the rubber from bulging out like shown in the photo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hasil View Post
    Now for the coupling you have pictured. It is unshielded type coupling. Almost all municipals I have had to use a "repair coupling" wanted a shielded or called No-shear coupling.

The reason they want the shielded couplings is pipes can shift and tear the rubber, and or the coupling can distort under water pressure.

Ron,

Those you posted and call shielded and No-shear are the ones I was referring to as 'banded' because they have the band around them to keep their shape.

As stated above: read the label, it states what the coupling may be used for.

The two labeled ones in your photo shows:

- 2" CI,PL,ST to 2" PL,ST ... only one end is rated for cast iron, the other is not. It may well fit on backward, it just will not seal properly.

- 2" CI,PL,ST to 2" copper ... harder to put on backward because the 2" copper end won't fit the other 2" pipe.

Thanks for the photos, I was trying to find photos of those.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    If a page is not a pdf or jpg, maybe you can print it off as a pdf (sometimes yes, sometimes no), or use a graphics program to make a screen capture of the area you want with the information you want.
    A tip here is to hold down the "shift" key the press "print screen".

Open "Paint" which is on just about every computer under Accessories. Click "edit" then "paste".

Then click "File".....Save As.......

I save mine as a jpeg.

The picture below is a copy of the Shift Print Screen

Good tip, thanks Wayne!

Any body know if it is possible to retrieve MS word document if the "undo" won't work?
    I was finishing a report and did something (still don't know exactly what) that caused the formating on the entire report to change and immediately save, so there was no undoing the changes. I resorted to going in to each and every page and manually correcting the format. Very important for the look and read-ability of the report as well as the legal aspect since TX requires a specific font, etc. What a pain.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Word has the option to make backups automatically, if the option was enabled. But there is also a temporary backup made while editing the file and sometimes it remains in the folder.

You need to explore that location and ensure the option to read hidden and system files is enabled. You may find hardcoded files with the bak extension and possibly those temp files hiddened as ~.bak (back-up file)

Good luck!
    Wayne

You need to explore that location and ensure the option to read hidden and system files is enabled. You may find hardcoded files with the bak extension and possibly those temp files hiddened as (back-up file)

Is this a different location beside the "my documents"? and where would the temp hidden files be? This is Word 2007 if it makes a difference.
    I did look for the ~file and found some there but not for the document that I was looking for.

Thanks

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Any body know if it is possible to retrieve MS word document if the "undo" won't work?
    Jim,

I'm not a knowledgeable Word user, but if it allows what WordPerfect does, you can save the undo information with the file when the file saves.

Also, go to 'Tools', 'Options', make sure that 'Save AutoRecover info every' is checked and set time to every 3 minutes or 4 minutes. You might be able to access the last AutoRecover document, which may well have had the original format, just not the last 3 or 4 minutes of other information. Caution: setting the AutoRecover to every minute might mean loss of the other formatting stuff as it is more likely to save AutoRecover at the save (3-4 times the chance of that).

Added with edit: Okay, while I was typing and looking through Word, you already had an answer, oh well, I'm slow.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It's under "Folder Options"

Go into "My Documents"
    Open the folder where you save your document at.
    On the tab at the top click on "Tools"
    Go down to "Folder Options"
    Another small window opens up.
    Click on "Views"
    Down a little bit is a folder icon that says "Hidden Files and Folders"
    Click on "Show Hidden Files and Folders"

Then go back and open the folder again and see if anything is there.

Good luck!
    Wayne

Thanks Wayne, unfortunately, I already had the "show hidden files" checked. I assume that is the files with the little ~ squiggle (technical term) in front of the file name. Nothing remaining.

Jerry, from what I understand of Word for my "Word for Idiots" reference, every time the document is saved, the Undo goes away. I think that is what happened at precisely the wrong time. I use "control Z" quite a bit and immediately tried it but alas, it was gone.

Thanks for the help guys.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jerry Peck Ahh I understand now what you meant by banded. And you are welcome for the pictures. It took me a bit to find them I had to search under the term Mission couplings on google to find them.

Another MS Word question. Anyone know how to retrieve a photo from MS Word document and save it as a photo?
    I have been moving some diagrams around from my photo and diagrams files and lost some but I still have them inside Word documents. I have tried right click and I can copy and paste but there is no "save as..." function available.
    I guess I could copy it into Paint and save it that way, but I'll bet someone smarter than I has a better way.
    Thanks

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

You may be able to right click on in then Save As.

If not..

Right click on the picture. Look for Send to......then choose email recipient. Email it to yourself. Then you will be able to save it to a file.