Smile What is this called?

Any help appreciated...
    What is this called and how can it generally be repaired? I had this pop off the chain when pulling it out and would like to have it repaired for the homeowner. Who would handle the repair, a fireplace contractor or chimney sweep?

Thanks,

Sean

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: What is this called?

Guys,

No replies, your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sean.

First some information is needed.

Is that the pull chain which pulls the screen back and forth?

Regardless, I would call them "pulls" or maybe "pull handles", but "pulls" should do it.

IF it is for the operation of the screen, then I would think that contacting a local fireplace store and asking them would give you your answer.

I am sure that you could get someone out there to repair them, but at what cost?

I know, you also need to consider your cost in going by fireplace stores, but consider those "education trips" as you learn so much from them (depending on the questions you ask, etc.).

But I did not really answer your questions.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

Thanks for the answer, you are correct it pulls the screen back and forth. It gives me a start...

Sean,

Keep in mind when doing your inspection writing everything may not have a technical name or do you have to name it as such.

If its on a chain that pulls the mesh curtain, just desribe it as so.

Many times and I was guilty of it starting out that I thought every description had to sound as if it was pulled from a textbook. Write it simple or in terms that your client can simply understand your finding.

Seriously if you were the seller and someone recommended a "chimney sweep" to repair a handle on a pull chain, you'd be getting a phone call from me.

I can see the face on the chimney sweep, it would be saying WTF?

rick

Greg D. Dames Guest

On drapes there is something called a CORD WEIGHT. It just hangs there and keeps the cord tight and there is a whole industry out there for designer weight. Im going to guess it's purpose is the same, call it the screen chain weight.

Steve Lowery Guest

Failed on inspection?

Daniel Parece Guest

Hi it looks like the chain pull to open the fireplace screen. Im a chimney sweep by the way and its cheaper to buy a new screen than for me to come out and look at that. I fireplace supply outlet in your area could help with a new screen. Other wise , maybe a handyman sould reattach it.
    best i could do with your pics

All he needs is some good glue on that. Something like a little JB Weld and its not coming off. The whole house would fall down around it before it came loose again.

Buy a whole new screen because of a loose pull handle. Your kidding right?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Daniel Parece Guest

Of course youre right!! but it seemed the person who asked the question couldnt fix things i guess,lol. I meant if you called a sweep or repairman its going to cost you. Jb weld works great btw.

Bill Gosch Guest

I just call those chain pull attachments. I had learned from past mistakes, when pulling on blinds or curtain pulls I always use my hands to help open and close the blinds/curtains, should there be any resistance I just go to the next let the client know which one is not functioning, as in the past I have had a large heavy blinds fall from the window frame, you only do this mistake once.

Disconnect the other end of the chain and bring it to someone who does fine soldering or welding, perhaps a jewler.

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Smith View Post
    Disconnect the other end of the chain and bring it to someone who does fine soldering or welding, perhaps a jewler.
    Remove the other one & Up Grade.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

James Duffin Guest

I would write in my report the that fireplace screen handle was broken and needs to be repaired.

Rick
    Is it just conidence that JB Weld is in Sulphur Springs TX, and you are in Rockwall TX, about 50 miles away. Or could it be some thing else?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Just a coincidence.

I do know it is a excellent product though. I patched a hole in the side of a radiator as a temporary patch. It was still holding (temporarily) 7 yrs latter when I sold that truck.

The man who came up the product actually made a fortune of the invention and then lost the big arse house he built and the ranch to his wife in a divorce. I heard she got the company business too. It is a huge place right on the side of I-30 coming in towards Dallas.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

actually made a fortune of the invention and then lost the big arse house he built and the ranch to his wife in a divorce. I heard she got the company business too. It is a huge place right on the side of I-30

rick
    Sounds Like True Love.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Billy,

Is that your prom pictures?

rick

Sorry, I was wrong about the JB Weld creators. Goes to show you, don't believe in rumors.

My apologies, Mrs. Bonham.

Rick

J-B Weld Company - About Us

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Billy,

Is that your prom pictures?

rick
    Third, maybe fourth Wife.
    The Wedding Cake.
    ......yeah Boy...

Honeymoon Cruise Ship.

(and we had plenty of Skeeter Dope ) Mississippi River Skeeters Drill to the Bone.