Thread: deck posts

Default deck posts

These deck posts are bowing so bad the metel feet are not flush on their pad. There were no markings on the posts indicating their structural rating.

Shouldn't there be such markings? Can someone post a picture of what such marking might look like?

Should the metal feet be fastened to the footing with a bolt or something? They are not in this case. You can kick them out. The posts were notched at the top as well.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: deck posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    These deck posts are bowing so bad the metel feet are not flush on their pad. There were no markings on the posts indicating their structural rating.

Shouldn't there be such markings? Can someone post a picture of what such marking might look like?

Should the metal feet be fastened to the footing with a bolt or something? They are not in this case. You can kick them out. The posts were notched at the top as well.
    For what I think it is holding up I am sure the load would not be to much but they should be embedded or attached to the footing at the least and some angle braces.

But saying that you have some serious writing to do on that house. I can only imagine what the rest of the house looks like.

I often wonder when the houses are that bad why folks want a home inspection. Good for you but did they want an estimate on the rehab or just to tell them the place is just a mess?

Seems like every house I inspect is messed up in its own way. I suppose it's the lower priced ones getting the offers these days. Yes, I do a great deal of writing. I guess I'm paying my dues.

There were no markings on the posts indicating their structural rating.

Shouldn't there be such markings?
    John,

I don't Rate Structural Members.

I do Report unsafe & hazardous building components.

How can the lumber yard rate a member without knowing the Application parameters of the structural members?

Attached Files Attached Files
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Are you even sure those are "footings" under the posts and not just small pads?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Are you even sure those are "footings" under the posts and not just small pads?
    No, but how would one tell when they are surrounded by a slab?

No, but how would one tell when they are surrounded by a slab?
    I always carried around a 9" screwdriver in my tool bag, if there was any doubt, stick it into the ground sliding it down the side of the suspect 'slab'.

If you go down 2" to 4" and the screwdriver 'goes in under it', you know it is not really a footing, just a concrete pad.

If it takes the entire 9" blade and you are still scraping concrete, *most likely* that is an isolated footing.

Now, what if that patio were one solid pour and those were not isolated pads? You look for evidence to clue you in, such as, the house it old, the slab is as old as the house (or at least 'old') and the porch roof has been added recently - you pretty much *know* that no thickened footings were made at those locations originally, no need, it was 'just a patio slab'.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Speaking of sliding in under it!

14 year old log cabin with a back "sunroom"!

Posts sitting on blocks on dirt.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

A Floating Sun room.

Maybe the ledger board was Attached with Hinges.
    Support - Deck Heights - Cross Bracing - Deckplans.com - deck building made easy using our custom decks setup.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Erby,

DANG!

So THAT is where I left my screwdriver?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

No Jerry, that's not your screwdriver.

It's mine.

You can't have it.

If you were careless enough to leave your's laying around, you'll need to find it or go buy another one.

Like I did!

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

This probe made from a paint roller is about 2 feet long. Obviously, there is no footing holding this post. I saw one like this a couple of weeks ago that was so rotten that a gentle kick would knock it out.

John, And a few of you other guys open to suggestions. Go to a goodwill or second hand store. Buy an old driver or 3 wood for 3 bucks. Cut the head off with a pipe cutter and glue(epoxy) in a drill bit or spade bit. You know all those old ones stilll in your toolbox?
    This tool is great for probing. It is 3 feet + and makes checking for footings easty as well as Termite probeing etc. Don't believe me, just try it. It will make you a believer.
    Good for swatting brokers and cats too