Default Window Well Drains Required

OREP Insurance
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Window Well Drains Required

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Is there a requirement for window well drains in the IRC?

Michael,

If there is no drainage means, then I would put that as a risk of water building up in the window well, in which case you could possibly apply this: SECTION R406 FOUNDATION WATERPROOFING AND DAMPPROOFING.

Either that or make the windows "watertight", in which case the windows would become "fixed" and "non-operable", which would defeat the need for the window well (if talking about EERO).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brandon Chew Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Is there a requirement for window well drains in the IRC?

Thnaks

Such a requirement, if it existed, I think would be in Section R405, foundation drainage. It isn't there.

Having said that, I think it is a good building practice to have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Chew View Post
    Such a requirement, if it existed, I think would be in Section R405, foundation drainage. It isn't there.
    Brandon,

I went back and re-read R405.1, and, it effectively *does* cover drainage for window wells. I had not applied it as so until you mentioned it, but ...

(underlining is mine)
    - SECTION R405
    - - FOUNDATION DRAINAGE
    - - - R405.1 Concrete or masonry foundations. Drains shall be provided around all concrete or masonry foundations that retain earth and enclose habitable or usable spaces located below grade. Drainage tiles, gravel or crushed stone drains, perforated pipe or other approved systems or materials shall be installed at or below the area to be protected and shall discharge by gravity or mechanical means into an approved drainage system. Gravel or crushed stone drains shall extend at least 1 foot (305 mm) beyond the outside edge of the footing and 6 inches (152 mm) above the top of the footing and be covered with an approved filter membrane material. The top of open joints of drain tiles shall be protected with strips of building paper, and the drainage tiles or perforated pipe shall be placed on a minimum of 2 inches (51 mm) of washed gravel or crushed rock at least one sieve size not less than 6 inches (152 mm) of the same material.
    - Exception: A drainage system is not required when the foundation is installed on well-drained ground or sand-gravel mixture soils according to the Unified Soil Classification System, Group I Soils, as detailed in Table R405.1.

Being as window wells have foundation walls below the bottom of the windows well, that foundation wall is required to have drainage provided, and that drainage will also serve to drain the window well.

It that drainage does not drain the window well, that is where you would get into my previous comments and R406, Dampproofing and waterproofing.

Additionally, you now get into:

- SECTION R613
    - - EXTERIOR WINDOWS AND GLASS DOORS
    - - - R613.1 General. This section prescribes performance and construction requirements for exterior window systems installed in wall systems. Windows shall be installed and flashed in accordance with the manufacturer’s written installation instructions. Written installation instructions shall be provided by the manufacturer for each window.

Anyone have any instructions for windows designed and approved for use in window wells?

What do those installation instructions say about drainage?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brandon Chew Guest

Yes I agree that drains are required for the part of the foundation wall that is under the window. These must be down by the footing.

To clarify my comment of "it isn't there", I took Michael's question to mean specific requirements for drains located in the bottom of the window wells that are connected to and part of the perimeter foundation drain system down by the footing. I've seen them installed but I'm not aware of a specific code that requires them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Chew View Post
    To clarify my comment of "it isn't there", I took Michael's question to mean specific requirements for drains located in the bottom of the window wells that are connected to and part of the perimeter foundation drain system down by the footing. I've seen them installed but I'm not aware of a specific code that requires them.
    Thanks for both your responses, that is indeed what I was asking.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com