Peter Wigle Guest

Default furnace motor buzz

Tempstar High Efficiency furnace had a hum/buzz typical of a motor trying to start: With the panel removed, and depressing the cut-out switch the fan motor (or something on the electronic panel attached to it) made this sound. The thermostat was set to OFF (set to engage neither furnace nor A/C), and the fan setting on the thermostat at Auto. I didn't think the fan would be trying to start under this scenario.

When I changed the fan setting at thermostat to ON the fan would spin - after a brief delay (3-4 seconds) but with the same noise.

The house is vacant, gas turned off, and only the AC has been used in the last several months.

The fan is dirty - lots of vibration when it did run (7 years old).

The prospective buyer is having a tech in tomorrow, but in the meantime, I'm curious. Any ideas?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: furnace motor buzz

Sounds like a transformer, not the motor.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Transformer. I just minimized the buzzing on my rental property furnace, and it was doing exactly the same thing. I loosened the screws a little bit and isolated the transformer from the metal bracket with a piece of paper. I can still hear it, but it's much quieter.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Furnace motor buzz?

Good Lord, these kids will try anything nowadays for that buzz.

We used to slam a few beers for a buzz, but I get thats not exciting anymore.

Jim & Jim are correct, it has a 40 VA transformer making the noise. They do this all the time. It's in the way it is mounted. I have seen people hang them so they don't touch anything. Poor way of doing it. All transformers buzz.

Dan