Default Help identify this...

From this afternoons job. I'm pretty sure what this is but I would like to hear from those with more experience. My concern is the condition of the pipe in the attic, where someone just hacked it up to make room to transition to the newer flue. The flue runs from the attic down through a closet (kids room & the flue is exposed) to the crawl.
    Alton

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Help identify this...

Transite (sp?)
    Yes, it is/contains asbestos.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Looks like old Transite. Known to contain asbestos. But, cannot tell for sure unless tested.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Ted Menelly Guest

I'll tell yeah. I get the willies lately looking at dark dank crawls. I never use to think anything of them. Now, lions and tigers and bears oh my. Actually I think that is just a mind set because I just don't want to do them anymore.

Yes, transite, asbestos

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I'll tell yeah. I get the willies lately looking at dark dank crawls. I never use to think anything of them.
    Your Just Thinking of The Decades of Mortgage Payments You have left to Pay.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Thanks for the responses. I had already written up that I felt that this was Transite and recommended that samples be sent for testing. I would not have been overly concerned had the Transite still been in good shape.

As you can tell from the pics the HVAC guy did a hammer job on the flue to make access when he installed the furnace in the attic. The debris from the transite is still on the attic floor. There is loose material visible in the elbow at the lower end of the flue in the crawl also.

Lately I have taken to wearing a respirator and Tyvek coveralls in the attic as well as the crawl. In the past I have worn the respirator in the attic just in case, but now I am putting on the Tyvek more & more. Seems like I go for months without an inspection in one of these, then I get 5-6 in a week. This mornings job was more of the same... steam heat with fibrous insulating blanket wrapping the pipes. Just can't wait for this afternoons job, it's about the same age as the last two. But hey, that means that just one or two more & I should be done with the GEMS for a short time.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    ATN Services : Home