Default Foundation Component

Greetings,

Here is a slab-on-grade foundation in Austin, Texas. Clearly with one of it's parts sticking out.
    Can I get some help identifying what this is?
    And maybe some additional comments on what the implications may be?

Thanks,
    Michael
    Scher Professional Inspections

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Foundation Component

That is the live end of a post tension cable. I am not sure as to why or what would cause it to protrude out of the slab that way, but the concrete around the end of it is placed after the cables have been stressed and then cut even with the slab. They apply a small amount of grout to fill in the pocket that was formed from the cable.

Dylan Whitehead

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Whitehead View Post
    That is the live end of a post tension cable. I am not sure as to why or what would cause it to protrude out of the slab that way,
    That post tension cable has been cut.

Someone needs to repair it, and that ain't gonna be cheap either.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Here's an interesting read from a Houston PE concerning a very similar issue:

Protruding Tension Cable

Dom.

Ted Menelly Guest

The home looks a little older. Personally if I saw nothing going on as far as movement inside and outside the home I would have written it up as a cut cable. They do not just snap as you can see by the size of them. Well, they have snap under tremendous tension.

I would check the interior for plumbing locations. I would also note that I do not see a history of movement. At worse case write it up for an engineers opinion to cover your backside. If there is movement in the home I would write it all up of course. One cable cut on an older home and no signs of movement is certainly no cause for big alarm. Does it have to be repaired, probably not. Should it be repaired, maybe. Really a big deal, not at all.

An engineer is expensive. I would recommend a foundation company evaluate for repairs. Most foundation companies will give a free analysis. An engineer is going to be a few hundred dollars. If nothing else major is going on I would inform your clients just that and recommend a foundation analysis.

Michael,

Your a licensed Home Inspector and don't recognize a post tension cable.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Here's an interesting read from a Houston PE concerning a very similar issue:

Protruding Tension Cable

Dom.

Dom,

Did you notice that while *he said* "While it might be prudent to replace the cut cable, since there is no foundation related damage to the house, the foundation is performing in an acceptable manner in spite of the cut cable.", *he did not* put his name on it and sign and seal it, instead, he deferred it off to someone else to do so.

That would be like me saying 'Nope, I don't think there is enough arsenic in this chili to kill a person - all the logic says that ... here, you try it.'

You said it was an "interesting read", and that it was.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com