Ted Menelly Guest

Default Yeah Yeah, Complain, Complain

This is the thing I am complaining about. I don't care if his name is included. I already sent him an email. He is from North of Dallas. And he has been around 6 years or so and 3000 inspections.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Yeah Yeah, Complain, Complain

Is that a pic of his wife with the dollar in her mouth?

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    His website does not mention anything about the size of the home which tells me he only charges a max of 250 and gives the farm away while doing it. IR, EMF, foundation analysis, termite sniffing dog all for 199.00

I already wrote him an email. Not that it will matter any. He is from around Nolan, Rick and Jims area but does inspection on the better part of Tarrant County as well where I live. I have talked to a few new inspectors and they charge a minimum of 250 plus add on all the rest for more money. He has been in the area for years.

Ted,

I don't worry about these knuckleheads as such. Its screams I'm desparate and need a dollar.

These low baller scum bags will not be in business long at those kind of prices. These idiots live from one inspection to the next and never really make a living. They are chasing the cheese.

What the sad thing is these numb nuts market to agents with these type of prices and any agent who has been in the business long is not even going to put this fools name on any call list they may provide.

Believe it or not, most agents realize that referring such people only puts them in a "liable" situation. They know that a cheap inspection fee usually means a "poor inspection" and they don't want that risk.

Give them time and they hang themselves.

rick

What do you guys charge for inspections and add-ons? In about 3 years I'm going to retire from the city and do this part time.

I don't want you guys to talk about me!

Email me or PM or IM or whatever this site has/uses to contact a person individually!

Wayne,

With the way the market may be turning we'll probably all be "part-time" inspectors. You might want to keep that job with the city.

As far as pricing, I don't think this board is the place to discuss that.

Its pretty simple math though. Take the number of hours you put into getting prepared for the inspection, doing the inspection, typing up the report, the associated business expenses to operate and most of all including the "profit margin". Divide all that out. If it comes out to be less than the guy asking you "Would you like to supersize those fries and drink?" then your not charging enough.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    What do you guys charge for inspections and add-ons? In about 3 years I'm going to retire from the city and do this part time.

I don't want you guys to talk about me!

Email me or PM or IM or whatever this site has/uses to contact a person individually!
    Yeah know, its one thing (but not right)for an occasional low ball to realtor if you are just marketing them. Is it all right for the profession, no. It only holds prices down for everyone.

This guy not only does inspections for 199 at the moment but he is giving away all add ons as well. Including 50 for termite inspections. He says on this email that the price is up to 3000 sq ft. On his website it does not mention any square footage so I assume it is for any home at all. It is the high dollar large squ ft homes where we make up the money on. He is even taking that away,.

250 for a minimum in most of the areas. That is usually maybe 1000 to maybe 1500 square feet or so. Age, size, crawl or slab, pool, out buildings, etc all come into play as well. It seems here lately a good portion of the time I try to go over 250 I can talk till I am blue in the face and still won't get the inspection. Most folks (there are exceptions) are charging 70 to 75 and up for a termite inspection. He is even killing that. I do know a company that will do WDI's for 50 but I do not use them.

At 199 dollars this guy needs buggy whipping not just talk.

Quick edit.

That 250 min is again a minimum, Although there is one company that is a multi inspector that just about throws in the termite for that amount and he has been around forever. A multi inspector company. I talked to him, he does not care. No, this is not the place to discuss price but call around and do your own market thing. You will not be able to afford to be a part time inspector with all the associated costs for 250 let alone this fools price.

Yes when you go into a crawl of a 1400 squ ft home and then do the rest of the inspection and then the report and look at the time involved, you could do a 3000 squ ft home for less time and the liability for what you can miss in a crawl is huge. You will see why the add on price. Or buy a 8,000 dollar camera and try to charge for it whenb this fool is giving it away for free.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 09-11-2008 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    His website does not mention anything about the size of the home which tells me he only charges a max of 250 and gives the farm away while doing it. IR, EMF, foundation analysis, termite sniffing dog all for 199.00

I already wrote him an email. Not that it will matter any. He is from around Nolan, Rick and Jims area but does inspection on the better part of Tarrant County as well where I live. I have talked to a few new inspectors and they charge a minimum of 250 plus add on all the rest for more money. He has been in the area for years.

If you read the ad he states that $250 (normal price) is for up to 3000 sq ft.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Not nice.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Ghent View Post
    His website says nothing about square feet and the price for all is 250.00

He may be doing pretty well seeing that he can feed his wife cash as shown.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by John Ghent View Post
    His website says nothing about square feet and the price for all is 250.00
    Are you complaining about his website or his ad? You posted his ad, and it says "up to 3000 sf ft".

Hey, if he wants to ... he can do them for free. No law against that.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thumbs up Re: Yeah Yeah, Complain, Complain

Buy him a copy of the Cost Of Business

Wayne, the Cost of business will also be helpful for you in pricing your inspections.

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    He may be doing pretty well seeing that he can feed his wife cash as shown.

rick

LIP STICK ON A DOG IS STILL A DOG.

Best

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ron,

His wife quoted me 200. on the web cam. Its a scam.

rick

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Ron,

His wife quoted me 200. on the web cam. Its a scam.

rick

Dam Rick i was going to mess with that photo but i just cant fix her up.

Best

Ron

Thanks for the tips guys!

When I retire I'll be old enough to draw my retirement from the city and SSI plus what little I've saved so I really won't need any additional income. The part time will be just so I won't drive the wife totally crazy!

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys!

When I retire I'll be old enough to draw my retirement from the city and SSI plus what little I've saved so I really won't need any additional income. The part time will be just so

I won't drive the wife totally crazy!
    Then you will miss out on the best part!

Best

Ron

K Robertson Guest

We all say that people like this guy can low ball and the client gets what they deserve. My problem is that I don't get what i deserve! I haven't dropped my prices, in fact I've increased them due to the lovely cost of fuel and insurance spikes. Problem is, there are several of these guys in and around the Dallas area that are working on two - three jobs a day. Meanwhile, I'm being told time and time again that my prices are too high and am only working 5-6 jobs a month. Had an potential client tell me just today that I was too high so just to see, I dropped it and told her I'd do a 1700 sq ft new construction for $250 and she said I'm not even close and hung up. Point is, these !$#$@$!'s are getting the jobs and we aren't.... at least "I aren't". So what do I do, go broke or go broke? I think I'll just STAY broke.

Bob Spermo Guest

If this HI does a quality inspection for the buyer and his net income has increased because of his "inexpensive" rates then it is capitalism at work! If he is not turning his desired profit (and I have no idea what he considers an adequate profit) then his pricing and marketing are poor economics!

Two scenarios:
    1) It may just be a teaser rate to get clients to call. He may be a marketing superstar and be able to talk people into higher prices once he has them on the phone. I know a couple guys like that.
    2) Or he may provide one of those 'looks really great glossy preprinted, lots of misc info, useless reports that clients can't usually decipher that I like to b_t__ about.
    Monday's last minute partial insp of a condo was because of one of those reports. Client didn't have faith in or understand the checkbox report that the HI provided. I got the follow-up call to go over the place again and explain conditions. I think +/- 1/3 of my biz is going in after a checkbox HI.
    I disagree with the idea that the $199 guys go out of biz fast. They seem to stay around. I think there are enough people out there who either don't care or understand the importance of a good insp. Also, I've met a few checkbox guys and they were smooth talkers, really knew how to lay it on. People fall for that crap. I've seen some of those $199 reports. A guy can make money kicking those out. Virtually no office time, 2-4 a day if the calls are there. The dollars add up.
    The BS competition bothers me a bit. The risks that buyers are ending up with bothers me more. The financial costs of having a crappy HI report can be devastating on younger and 1st time home buyers.
    I guess I shouldn't complain too much, they keep getting me business. Even though, I'd rather have the 1st insp.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Ron Bibler Guest

Don't get your shorts in bunch. if your ph is ringing and you have inspectiong at your price. cool.

If not then you need to look into newq marketing ideas. this is his.

Hes a bottom feeder. I like on on top. L.O.L. YA YA YA.

Keep youe eyes on what you do. just do the best job you can do.

Best

Ron

Kevin Luce Guest

I have learned that if you are a good sales person and provide a good service, it doesn't mater what anyone else charges. Besides, do you want to do an inspection for somebody that wants the cheapest home inspector?

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Two scenarios:
    1) It may just be a teaser rate to get clients to call. He may be a marketing superstar and be able to talk people into higher prices once he has them on the phone. I know a couple guys like that.

2) ... I got the follow-up call to go over the place again and explain conditions. I think +/- 1/3 of my biz is going in after a checkbox HI.

The financial costs of having a crappy HI report can be devastating on younger and 1st time home buyers.
    Markus,

Your point 1 is a possibility but probably not likely. The tactic would be bait and switch and, since we are regulated in Texas, would naturally be against our laws/rules and draw attention. Although that has not stopped people from doing it. However, our licensing commission has indicated they will be performing covert investigations into anyone they suspect of being an issue. Of course that is yet to be seen.

Your point #2 - I would be interested to hear from other DFW, and Texas, HI's as to how many follow-on inspections they receive. I have been called in the past by one or two buyers who have had a bad experience. However, they were only looking for telephone advice and were not interested in another inspection, regardless of cost.

Your point on first time buyers - Exactly on target with your assessment. The problem is many people do not like it to be known that they have been duped or taken. As such they will not report it and the problem continues. Additionally, the pricing issues are exacerbated by other RE professionals shopping for clients and telling clients what inspections should be priced at.

Ted M.,

You're certainly not alone and I do commend you for approaching the individual. Even though it is his business model, and his right, you have taken a stand and let him know what you think and believe. However, he is only one of many in this area, unfortunately! If you search around the WEB site you will even see this type thing from senior members of other inspection associations as well (we shall leave it nameless) as well as franchise operations running these type of prices. What is going to be interesting is how these individuals are going to handle the new SOP requirements and maintain those prices?

Ted Menelly Guest

Thank Emanuel

One thing I do not completely understand is what the new SOP's have to do with doing your job properly. I don't see a big affect or big changes that would affect that. I keep scanning thru things and don't really see anything I don't do now unless I am missing something.

By the way. Tarrant County is about the cheapest place to work I have seen in the three states I have lived in. This particular guy is just North of Dallas and is affecting those folks over there as well.

It is not just the low prices on home inspections, it is giving away everything including no charge for crawls (not that I want to do crawls), IR scanning, foundation analysis, pools etc. All inclusive price and then only 50.00 for termite inspections and on his website he advertises 250 only for everything. There is no mention about larger homes than what he mentions on his email flier to all the Realtors. Yes, he does get enough work to maintain another inspector most of the time.

Oh well, enough griping. I do have work tomorrow and Sunday. Making up for the slow school start up time.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I'm not advocating lowballing on price but I will say this. Would you rather make a little less money per inspection and have regular work OR raise your price due to slower times/higher costs and see your monthly volume cut in half? If you can make the same amount of money doing half the number of inspections, then go for it. But if you can't get buyers to go for that and convince them your higher fee is worth it, a temporary discount is not the end of the world. When business was booming and the phones were ringing off the hook, most of us could get by on the "take-it-or-leave-it" approach to our fees. Well business is no longer booming, the market has changed, and so have the buyers. And there are not as many buyers to go around. With that in mind, how do you plan on capturing the segment of buyers who contact you out of the blue and were not referred to you by anybody? These are the one you need to work for and sell yourself. Giving a modest discount will work more often than you realize as people just want to think they are getting a deal.

Face it guys, we all started somewhere. But I think many of us forget about our humble beginnings. We were new to inspecting and thankful for those 1st time homebuyers who took a chance on us when there were probably dozens of more experienced home inspectors from which to choose. These clients had an endless number questions and had us inspect some real doozies but we didn't care because we were working. Then we get a few years under our belts and suddenly, a caller who asks for a discount is automatically "a problem" and a 1st time home buyer of a modest home is "not the type of customer I want".

In a recent issue of the free inspection magazine put out by FREA, there was an article about setting prices for inspections and it included quotes from a number of people on this board. Some of the things that were said (NOT by people on this board thankfully) about certain types of buyers were mind boggling. Somebody actually referred to 1st time home buyers of modest homes as "junk clients" or something to that affect, the type of clients they don't want. Size of home and size of inspection fee has nothing to do with what type of client they will be. I've inspected flatout dumps for some people who have turned out to be some of the nicest people I get to work for. And 1st time buyers often are friends with other people who will also soon be 1st time buyers. If you take care of these clients, you may open yourself to a stream of future business. A past client of mine is a couple whose home I inspected 4+ years ago and they are very nice people. They are directly responsible for getting me close to 10 additional inspections since then as a result of them passing my name along to their friends and corworkers.

Again, I'm not advocating low-balling at all. What I am for however is keeping and open mind and remembering where we came from and what it is we're trying to do which is run and build our businesses.

Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 09-13-2008 at 08:08 AM.

Thank Emanuel

One thing I do not completely understand is what the new SOP's have to do with doing your job properly. I don't see a big affect or big changes that would affect that. I keep scanning thru things and don't really see anything I don't do now unless I am missing something.

By the way. Tarrant County is about the cheapest place to work I have seen in the three states I have lived in. This particular guy is just North of Dallas and is affecting those folks over there as well.

It is not just the low prices on home inspections, it is giving away everything including no charge for crawls (not that I want to do crawls), IR scanning, foundation analysis, pools etc. All inclusive price and then only 50.00 for termite inspections and on his website he advertises 250 only for everything. There is no mention about larger homes than what he mentions on his email flier to all the Realtors. Yes, he does get enough work to maintain another inspector most of the time.

Oh well, enough griping. I do have work tomorrow and Sunday. Making up for the slow school start up time.
    Ted,

You're not really missing anything, the SOP is!! You can read the SOP many times over but the devil is not in the details. The devil is in the lack of detail. The best way to describe this new SOP is that it is a vaguely written, prescriptive SOP. The only time the actual details are going to matter is when a complaint is filed. That is when the Commission, with the help of the IC, is going to interpret the intention of the SOP. At that point it is to late for the Inspector who is being complained about.

Earlier this year I lost a job halfway between Greenville and Sulphur Springs (I live over here) to a guy from Denton who was going to do the inspection for $250 on a 3600 Sq. Ft. home. His travel was 125 miles one way and mine was only 30. Even before gas went up he was still almost working for free.

A couple months ago I lost a 4600 Sq. Ft. to another Inspector who was doing it for $400 which included a full IR scan of the home, supposedly. This week I lost a 2100 Sq. Ft. to another guy for $225 and he even included a WDI report with that. It just seems to be getting worse and again is perpetuated by RE Professionals shopping for their clients and advising them on prices.

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!
    www.psinspection.com
    Texas License# 7593

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I'm not advocating lowballing on price but I will say this. Would you rather make a little less money per inspection and have regular work OR raise your price due to slower times/higher costs and see your monthly volume cut in half? If you can make the same amount of money doing half the number of inspections, then go for it. But if you can't get buyers to go for that and convince them your higher fee is worth it, a temporary discount is not the end of the world. When business was booming and the phones were ringing off the hook, most of us could get by on the "take-it-or-leave-it" approach to our fees. Well business is no longer booming, the market has changed, and so have the buyers. And there are not as many buyers to go around. With that in mind, how do you plan on capturing the segment of buyers who contact you out of the blue and were not referred to you by anybody? These are the one you need to work for and sell yourself. Giving a modest discount will work more often than you realize as people just want to think they are getting a deal.

Again, I'm not advocating low-balling at all. What I am for however is keeping and open mind and remembering where we came from and what it is we're trying to do which is run and build our businesses.
    Nick,

What you are forgetting is that once you set price levels extremely low then it is very hard to raise them. If veteran Inspectors are lowballing in the industry then it becomes the defacto price standards. Add to this that you have other RE Professionals advising clients what they think prices should be.

I myself have never subscribed to the "take-it-or-leave-it approach" to clients and have, on occasion, discounted a fee when it warrants it. I also give all returning clients a discount. As for "Giving a modest discount will work more often than you realize as people just want to think they are getting a deal." that is a true statement. But what we are dealing with are Inspectors who are not only lowballing their fees but also the level (quality??) of the inspection to match the fee. That is a viable approach if the client fully understands the potential ramifications of "a reduced inspection protocol". However, many do not and it is incumbent upon licensed Professional Inspectors to look out for the welfare of their clients (and at the same time reduce their own liability).

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!
    www.psinspection.com
    Texas License# 7593

Quote Originally Posted by EmmanuelScanlan View Post
    Nick,

What you are forgetting is that once you set price levels extremely low then it is very hard to raise them. If veteran Inspectors are lowballing in the industry then it becomes the defacto price standards. Add to this that you have other RE Professionals advising clients what they think prices should be.

I myself have never subscribed to the "take-it-or-leave-it approach" to clients and have, on occasion, discounted a fee when it warrants it. I also give all returning clients a discount. As for "Giving a modest discount will work more often than you realize as people just want to think they are getting a deal." that is a true statement. But what we are dealing with are Inspectors who are not only lowballing their fees but also the level (quality??) of the inspection to match the fee. That is a viable approach if the client fully understands the potential ramifications of "a reduced inspection protocol". However, many do not and it is incumbent upon licensed Professional Inspectors to look out for the welfare of their clients (and at the same time reduce their own liability).
    It's not hard to raise fees if you want to Emmanuel. You just do it. Who knows what price to expect anyway? Realtors who called you in the past? We don't work for them. We work for the buyers. I don't care what the realtors think about my prices and neither should any of us. They're not the ones paying us. If somebody has an aversion to lowering prices to gain work in a down market because they don't want to throw off the realtors' expectations, then they need to ask themselves who they are really working for.

When things pick up and reach somewhat normal levels of demand in the future, my price is going back up and I won't need to justify it to anybody. If somebody asks, I'll tell them why prices went up. We don't need to justify a price increase to anybody but ourselves. And callers don't know what it takes for us to run our businesses. Expenses go up so fees should reflect that.

When I talk about discounts, I'm not talking $100. I'm talking $10-$20. I won't offer to do an inspection for anything less than I feel is still fair to me and a $10-$20 discount is something I can live with. If somebody doesn't like an HI offering discounts, is it because they feel it reduces our worth as inspectors or is it because they are upset the inspector who offers discounts is getting more work? The last I checked, other inspectors aren't sending me checks to help me pay my bills. If somebody wants to be a low-baller, that's on them and there's no way I'll get those buyers to use me anyway. There are too many low-ballers out there and spending any amount of time fretting about their fee structure and how it impacts the profession is a waste of time. Focus your efforts on capturing the buyers that are willing to pay you your fee.

As for the inspection quality of a low-ball inspector matching his fee, how does anybody know that actually is the case? Has anybody attended a low-ball HI's inspections and viewed their reports? Are these low-ballers ignoring SOPs, overlooking issues, and writing erroneous reports? Are they not doing what they say they are going to do? If one low-baller does it, does that mean they are all guilty?

I consider discounting and low-balling two different things. I have and will discount an insp for various reasons to clients. (Repeat customers, place was especially clean-took a lot less insp time, get biz, etc.) $25-50 range.
    However, 100-200 less is not a discount, that's low-balling. Even when I started I didn't do insp for that much less.
    I've discussed whether or not the low-ball reports meet the SOP with other inspectors. (Un)Fortunately I've seen a lot of low ball reports. I can say that the ones I've seen do meet the SOP but that isn't the real issue.
    The (any state) SOP requires you to look,inspect, assess, comment, etc. (whatever the particular wording is) on the roof or hvac. My report, your report and the low-ball report all do that. The matter of quality (and price) comes into play as to 'how' we report on those conditions.
    Low ball report- often times column of 4 check boxes; something like functional, not-functional, defective, not-present, etc.
    That's basically it, except maybe a line or two scribbled in below if the guy sees a water mark or something.
    Good report- listing of the particular item; overall condition of components; condition of specific component if applicable; concerns, potential problems or considerations with existing set-up, etc.
    I've mentioned before that I get regular business from going in after a low-ball checkbox report.
    This week I got another one: low-ball report stated electric was functional; panel was old, no GFI
    His report said nothing about: panel being 6" from kitchen sink and the potential hazards, wiring being 30-40 years old, missing covers, broken, painted receptacles, 2 out of 6 fuse sockets not working, two prong receps, etc.
    Client called me because the crappy checkbox report didn't 'give them confidence'. There are many reasons people get an HI. One of them is that they are looking to get info and understand the home they are looking to buy. A low ball report doesn't usually meet 'that standard'.
    We provide the client a more valuable service by providing useful and understandable information.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Ted Menelly Guest

It's not hard to raise fees if you want to Emmanuel. You just do it. Who knows what price to expect anyway? Realtors who called you in the past? We don't work for them. We work for the buyers. I don't care what the realtors think about my prices and neither should any of us. They're not the ones paying us. If somebody has an aversion to lowering prices to gain work in a down market because they don't want to throw off the Realtors' expectations, then they need to ask themselves who they are really working for.

When things pick up and reach somewhat normal levels of demand in the future, my price is going back up and I won't need to justify it to anybody. If somebody asks, I'll tell them why prices went up. We don't need to justify a price increase to anybody but ourselves. And callers don't know what it takes for us to run our businesses. Expenses go up so fees should reflect that.

When I talk about discounts, I'm not talking $100. I'm talking $10-$20. I won't offer to do an inspection for anything less than I feel is still fair to me and a $10-$20 discount is something I can live with. If somebody doesn't like an HI offering discounts, is it because they feel it reduces our worth as inspectors or is it because they are upset the inspector who offers discounts is getting more work? The last I checked, other inspectors aren't sending me checks to help me pay my bills. If somebody wants to be a low-baller, that's on them and there's no way I'll get those buyers to use me anyway. There are too many low-ballers out there and spending any amount of time fretting about their fee structure and how it impacts the profession is a waste of time. Focus your efforts on capturing the buyers that are willing to pay you your fee.

As for the inspection quality of a low-ball inspector matching his fee, how does anybody know that actually is the case? Has anybody attended a low-ball HI's inspections and viewed their reports? Are these low-ballers ignoring SOPs, overlooking issues, and writing erroneous reports? Are they not doing what they say they are going to do? If one low-baller does it, does that mean they are all guilty?
    Nick

Sorry to say this but from where I am sitting it looks to me like you are taking offense to this thread. As you see the name of this thread is Yeah Yeah, complain complain. As I keep saying, it is not just his temp pricing but his overall pricing and what is offered for the price. The man is giving away almost every service home inspectors offer. The man slowed down a little because of the time of year and let an inspector he had working for him go. The man still has his work but he does not have enough to have someone else working for him so he can make money from someone else. He only charges 250 max for any inspection with all the add ons added in for no extra charge. We are talking 3, 4, 5000 square feet homes. 250 with foundation analysis, Ir camera scanning, pool, crawls, sprinklers, 50.00 termite inspections, his damn termite sniffing dog that he is telling folks that if his dog finds something then he will call some one in to do a graph and charge them fifty for the inspectors cost (his inspector is holding down other termite inspector prices).

This is not the only man or even multi inspector that does this around here. The most guilty are the longer live single and multi inspector firms.

One company has been around for 18 years that has several inspectors working for him and does most of their inspection (all inclusive) and termite inspections for under 300.00. Again, all inclusive just like this other guy.

No one is attacking you Nick for slightly discounted prices. When there is less work the prices should hold or go up. When work is plentiful and you can get a couple a day all week then a little less pricing would not hurt.

You guys have to remember this is American and a man has the freedom to charge whatever he deems as necessary.

What expense he has may not be the same as you and can justify his charges.

I've seen many great home inspections and reports done for reasonable prices and still be making a very nice living.

There used to be a home inspector in Knoxville that had a flat rate. He felt that he was happy making $400/day (or whatever it was, I forget, it was a long time ago). He was much much lower than I was, or pretty much anyone else in town. But he said that he was comfortable making that amount for the day's work, and that was that.

He was a nice guy, a fairly competent inspector, and was very diligent in his work.

What is interesting is, he left Knoxville to work as a missionary.

So when I'm thinking bad thoughts about those bottom feeding scum suckers, I often remember David. His intention was not to undercut everyone else, or whore the industry. He was comfortable with the money he made, and was just out to make a living, and he felt like he was cheating people if he charged (what he thought) too much.

When I tell someone "No charge today" once or twice a year, I don't do it because I am trying to undercut someone else, I do it because I can - and it makes me feel good.

I don't really care what other people think about how much, or little I charge, or what I give away with my inspection.

Yeah, I probably am Ted, which is kinda dumb on my part. But many of us automatically equate price to quality and it may not be the case as Jack mentioned. I'm sure there are inspectors charging at the top end of the fee structure in their area and deficient in some areas of their work. It goes both ways. Bristling about low-ballers is a waste of time and energy as there is nothing you can do to change their attitudes about price. I've got them in my area too. They'll always be around and they seem to not be at a loss for work. If they want to give away the farm, what can you do? We're better off focusing our efforts on the things we can control and figuring out ways to get work for ourselves when things are slow.

Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 09-14-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Ted Menelly Guest

My standpoint Ted is that everybody automatically equates price to quality and it may not be the case as Jack mentioned. I'm sure there are inspectors charging at the top end of the fee structure in their area and deficient in some areas of their work. It goes both ways. Bristling about low-ballers is a waste of time and energy as there is nothing you can do to change their attitudes about price. I've got them in my area too. They'll always be around and they seem to not be at a loss for work. If they want to give away the farm, what can you do? We're better off focusing our efforts on the things we can control and figuring out ways to get work for ourselves when things are slow.
    Nick

It may do no good but that is what this thread is all about. It is not to protect and or ignore or to bristle about. It is to complain in a forum that allows you to vent. Do I think what I have to say is going to change ones ways. No. Do I like to get things off my chest once in a while, Sure, we all do. Again that is what this thread is all about. Allowing ones to vent.

Times are slow Nick. Slower than I would like. I am certainly not starving but in the general atmosphere of the working world we step out into it with a positive attitude. You don't vent some where and you might just take that attitude with you while out in the working world

Now we don't want that now do we??????

Now, question is. Were you not venting about how slow it was for you on another thread some time back in June maybe? I think that was you.

Now. That was venting , was it not?

You see Nick. I have never been one to get work at any cost. I have never been able to do that. I use to remodel older folks homes and trust me I could have taken everyone of them. I could not do that. That is not me. If anything I did the work to cheap for their sake. I guess the old heart is to big and the care for others concerned is as well. That is why I don't grab this guys neck and wring it. I know he has his reasons (I heard them with a return to my email to him) Trust me they were a bull crap story like you hear so often. He did not care about letting the female inspector go for her sake or anyone elses. He did not like letting her go because he was no longer getting 50% of everything she did. He is one that wants to work as little as possible while others work for him and brag about his high life with out cares about how he lives the high life or how he is able to.

He will continue to pump out work for the cheap and kiss realtors backsides no matter what it takes to get them to refer him.

Yes Nick. This does hold prices down for all. Once the word is out about this inspector and that inspector charging only x amount and then the realtor passes that on to clients and then the clients call their own list of inspectors. What do you think they are going to do. They are listening to the Realtors few guys that work for x, they call and hear two inspectors that are much more and then the third inspector lines up with the Realtors prices. Who do you think is the more likely of the inspectors that the client calls to get the inspection. Personally I know it is inspector number 3 most of the time,. So yes, it plays a big part in how many calls we turn into inspections.

So bitch I may on here, but to all that call for inspections, smile, smile, smile.

So tell me Nick, don't you have a good gripe to let out.

No matter what the product or service - there is someone that under cuts everyone else.

McDonalds has the $1 double cheesburger, and they sell huge numbersof them evey day. Hardee's has their Angus Beef Thickburger that sells for $4 or so. They also sell piles of those. You can go to Ruby Tuesday or some other chain and pay $10 for some prime burger -and they sell a bunch. Same clients? Yes, in that they all want a burger - NO in that some care about the quality of what they are buying.

You can get a cup of coffee for 50 cents at McDonalds(senior coffee), or about 90 cents at the Weigles or 7/11 store, or go to Starbucks and pay $1.80 or so. Starbucks has lines of people buying their coffee. Why would someone pay 3 or 4 times more for a cup of coffee? Because they value the quality, and like the product.

I've quoted many people and I know I'm much higher than "some" of the guys out there, but about the same with my peers (same time in business, etc). I get their business because someone has told them that I am WORTH the extra $$, or they get the feeling I am worth it after talking to us.

While it may be prudent to know what your competitionis charging, we really shouldn't be driven by THEIR vision of their worth.

Last edited by Jack Feldmann; 09-15-2008 at 05:28 AM. Reason: I had the coffee at $50 instead of 50 cents

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    No matter what the product or service - there is someone that under cuts everyone else.

McDonalds has the $1 double cheesburger, and they sell huge numbersof them evey day. Hardee's has their Angus Beef Thickburger that sells for $4 or so. They also sell piles of those. You can go to Ruby Tuesday or some other chain and pay $10 for some prime burger -and they sell a bunch. Same clients? Yes, in that they all want a burger - NO in that some care about the quality of what they are buying.

You can get a cup of coffee for $50 at McDonalds(senior coffee), or about 90 cents at the Weigles or 7/11 store, or go to Starbucks and pay $1.80 or so. Starbucks has lines of people buying their coffee. Why would someone pay 3 or 4 times more for a cup of coffee? Because they value the quality, and like the product.

I've quoted many people and I know I'm much higher than "some" of the guys out there, but about the same with my peers (same time in business, etc). I get their business because someone has told them that I am WORTH the extra $$, or they get the feeling I am worth it after talking to us.

While it may be prudent to know what your competitionis charging, we really shouldn't be driven by THEIR vision of their worth.

I agree completely with this statement.

When it comes to the statement about the price of coffee; there are going to people that wants the quality while others will feel that the product offered by McDonald's is satisfactory for what they are looking for. I feel this can be applied to home inspections.

Can you imagine what a chef thinks about McDonald's food. Yet we have all been there and ate that food.

Nick

Now, question is. Were you not venting about how slow it was for you on another thread some time back in June maybe? I think that was you.
    GASP!!!! Ted, how dare you bring up my conflicting viewpoints and throw them back in my face and prove me wrong.

What can I say. Guilty as charged. But I wasn't complaining about low-ballers (I think). Just being slow. (If you pull out a quote of mine from the past proving me wrong again Ted, you're out of my will).

Oh well. We can either let the low-ballers get to us or we can just plug away.........and vent on here as needed.

Besides, what do I have to gripe about Ted? I'm alive and well, I have a beautiful wife and great son, the Phillies have just pulled within 1 game of the Brewers for the NL wild card, the Eagles take on the Cowboys in Big D on Monday night, and archery season opens up here in PA next Saturday. Well.................my reports do take too long to compile. There..............that's my gripe.