Fredrick O'Leary Guest

Smile Intro & Question

Hello to all;

I am not an Inspector, but I find the information in this forum very interesting and useful. I am a home owner and a "do-it-yourself" type individual. I only do things that I research, understand, and feel that I am capable of doing. I try to do thing the correct way.

I was reading the post on drip edge flashing for roofing because every time it rains the water does not go into my gutters, but runs between the house and the gutter. This is creating a great deal of damage to my foundation and a recently installed door that all the stain is peeling off at the bottom - not the top.

Would installing a gutter apron/drip edge flashing solve this problem?

Thanks

Fred

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Intro & Question

You would get more useful help if you post some pictures........

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrick O'Leary View Post
    Hello to all;

I am not an Inspector, but I find the information in this forum very interesting and useful. I am a home owner and a "do-it-yourself" type individual. I only do things that I research, understand, and feel that I am capable of doing. I try to do thing the correct way.

I was reading the post on drip edge flashing for roofing because every time it rains the water does not go into my gutters, but runs between the house and the gutter. This is creating a great deal of damage to my foundation and a recently installed door that all the stain is peeling off at the bottom - not the top.

Would installing a gutter apron/drip edge flashing solve this problem?

Thanks

Fred
    Hello an wellcome to the board. to start moisture condition is the main thing that all homes need to be protected from. anything you do to keep the water off is good.

It would be smart to get in contact with a local home inspector in your area and have him do a limited inspection and consultation on your home. If its been more then 5 years you should have him do a complete inspection on your home. Money well spent.

You should be able to find a good inspector on this board for your areas.

Best

Ron Bibler
    Excellence Exterminating and Thermal Imaging
    Calif. Branch #3 Build Inspection Co.
    Excellence Exterminating and Thermal Imaging

Fredrick O'Leary Guest

Thumbs up Re: Intro & Question

Ron,

Thanks for the advise and recommendation. I believe I will take you up on that advise. I am assuming that a local inspector would be able to provide input on other areas in addition to my gutter problem.

Thanks,

Fred

Fredrick O'Leary Guest

Lightbulb Re: Intro & Question

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    You would get more useful help if you post some pictures........

Brandon,

What type of pictures are you suggesting??

I am new at this and posting anything is a challenge.

Fred

Fred,

I don't think you need to hire an inspector to tell you that water isn't making it into the gutters. You already know that.

Go ahead and hire one if you want a thorough evaluation of the house. If you want the water to run all the way into the gutters, there are many products designed to bridge the gap between properly installed gutters and the roof line.

Some examples:

This Old House

Protective drip edge

Ted Menelly Guest

Brandon,

Fred
    Fredrick O'Leary

Boy if that isn't a good Ole Irish name from Mass I don't know what is.

Brandon,

Fred
    Resized ( I use The Free version of Bomes Image Resizer . )

Type in your comment.

Scroll down to The Upload Photos box below.

Click browse & choose your Photo.

Click upload.

Close that Browse window.

Submit Reply or Preview Post.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Fredrick O'Leary Guest

Dom,

Thanks for the information. The examples were very helpful.

I am working on my next steps.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Fred,

I don't think you need to hire an inspector to tell you that water isn't making it into the gutters. You already know that.

Go ahead and hire one if you want a thorough evaluation of the house. If you want the water to run all the way into the gutters, there are many products designed to bridge the gap between properly installed gutters and the roof line.

Some examples:

This Old House

Protective drip edge

Lee Nettnin Guest

Wink Re: Intro & Question

Hi Fredrick,
    There is usually a very simple fix to this problem, as I have had this same complaint from many a customer (I do remodeling and maintenance repairs also).
    It is best to do this while you are having a light rain to immediately see if you need to address a certain area.

I usually do this from the roof but if the pitch is too great it can be done by moving a ladder along the gutters.

You ready... All you have to do is bend the drip edge out away from the house. A lot of roofers place it too close to the fascia which allows the water to run behind the gutter. By bending the drip edge you allow it to do its job of directing the water into the gutter. You will have to experiment to see how much to bend it as it usually doesn't take much. Please wear a pair of good gloves so you don't cut your hand.

This procedure has worked many many times for me, in fact I have to go do one in the next couple weeks on a customers house that was just roofed last year.

Regards, Lee

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Nettnin View Post
    Hi Fredrick,
    There is usually a very simple fix to this problem, as I have had this same complaint from many a customer (I do remodeling and maintenance repairs also).
    It is best to do this while you are having a light rain to immediately see if you need to address a certain area.

I usually do this from the roof but if the pitch is too great it can be done by moving a ladder along the gutters.

You ready... All you have to do is bend the drip edge out away from the house. A lot of roofers place it too close to the fascia which allows the water to run behind the gutter. By bending the drip edge you allow it to do its job of directing the water into the gutter. You will have to experiment to see how much to bend it as it usually doesn't take much. Please wear a pair of good gloves so you don't cut your hand.

This procedure has worked many many times for me, in fact I have to go do one in the next couple weeks on a customers house that was just roofed last year.

Regards, Lee
    What happened to the 1x2 that should be behind it to make it stand out from the fascia.

Lee Nettnin Guest

Ted,
    It is NOT a building practice to include that in my region. Not saying it's right, just a very rare occurrence.
    Lee

Fredrick O'Leary Guest

Thumbs up Re: Intro & Question

Hi Lee,

I actually got my ladder out and took a closer look at the flashing and gutter. It is flush with the fascia which allow the water to run straight down. Ted's comment about the 1X2 is right on. If they had put one there it would work correctly.

I think that bending the drip edge out will do the trick. Thanks for the advice. It makes the most sense and is the most cost effective solution.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Nettnin View Post
    Hi Fredrick,

Regards, Lee

Ron Bibler Guest

Hi Lee,

I actually got my ladder out and took a closer look at the flashing and gutter. It is flush with the fascia which allow the water to run straight down. Ted's comment about the 1X2 is right on. If they had put one there it would work correctly.

I think that bending the drip edge out will do the trick. Thanks for the advice. It makes the most sense and is the most cost effective solution.

Fred
    Well then I think that lunch is in order. Say fredrick. do you a $ 5 sopt for a cut of coffee? L.O.L.

Best

Ron

Brandon,

Sorry Fredrick,
    Just back on the board from a weekend. I like to see pictures to help determine the cause of the problem. Not everyone out there explains things precisely. Pictures are much easier to understand than words sometimes.

Anyway's, I'm glad it sounds like you got it figured out.........