Default A GREAT ELECTRICAL SERVICE ENTRY

HEY ALL
    hope you had a great football weekend

i'm in colorado and we all no it snows alot here. so here is a service entry i found today,ten feet at most off ground and right under the gutter.
    and no we don't ever get ice damning here do we !!!!
    and yes they are asbestos like siding, and most were disturbed.

of course bank owned and buyer is going to flip.
    when will this &$@# end

charlie

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: A GREAT ELECTRICAL SERVICE ENTRY

HEY ALL
    any thoughts on this--i had a bad pickem football weekend so need pampering
    charlie

Joe Tedesco Guest

Smile Re: A GREAT ELECTRICAL SERVICE ENTRY

Charlie:

Looks OK to me, the point of attachment looks good, the service point looks good, and for the age the service raceway enclosing the service entrance conductors still looks OK too,..

I tried to get up closer to the weatherhead, just to see if the wires were not in the same holes or where the entry was broke.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    ten feet at most off ground
    Measured to where? The bottom of the drip loop?

That said (asked, really), you said "ten feet at most", and it is required to be "ten feet at least".

Very iffy on that minimum height.

Also looks like one of the splices is damaged (insulation split/torn/damaged/deteriorated/etc on the service entrance conductor side - the homeowner side) and was 'fixed' with a split bolt connector.

My guess is (see that UV deteriorated outer covering on the service entrance conductors) that the service entrance conductors *were not* sunlight resistant, which likely contributed to the deterioration.

At a minimum, replace the service entrance conductors in the riser mast from the splice to the meter.

Anchoring of the riser mast looks suspect too.

Don't forget that phone cable (could be cable TV cable) going up and behind and under the gutter, just in case they lose phone/cable and call you.

Joe,

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tedesco View Post
    I tried to get up closer to the weatherhead, just to see if the wires were not in the same holes or where the entry was broke.
    That part looks okay - one conductor in each of 3 different holes, the other 2 holes left intact, the phenolic/Bakelite insert not broken.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

THANKS JERRY

but is is right to have it so close and tucked under a gutter in a high snow area and this is on the north side,with low sun exposure? and i'm six foot three and could almost touch service wires from ground. thats the 10 foot height i'm worried about.leaking gutters and ice buildup, made me cautious
    thanks
    charlie

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    but is is right
    I didn't address that because the answer is ... define "right".

No, the *minimum* code does not address that.

Yes, under the conditions you stated, that looks a bit dangerous ... however, the alternative is to move it to a gable end (to severely limit water run off and icicles from forming) or to 'put it underground'.

Certainly viable suggestions to make when discussing the dangers of that existing location with your client.

As we have said many times, code does not address common sense ... *I* *would not* have wanted to have been the person installing that gutter above that overhead service drop. That would have given me the heebie jeebies.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 09-15-2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spellin'
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

jerry
    it might have given you the SHOCKING heebie geebies
    chaz