Question 240 volt double pole breakers

Is it allowed to have 120 volt circuits connected to double pole breakers that are connected together with breaker ties. I have always thought that these type of breakers were only for 240 volt circuits.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: 240 volt double pole breakers

If you are talking about the red and black wires at the top left, it looks like a multi wired branch circuit. When they share the same yoke, the breakers are required to be tied together. (2 hots sharing one neutral such as for a disposer/ dishwasher)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    If you are talking about the red and black wires at the top left, it looks like a multi wired branch circuit. When they share the same yoke, the breakers are required to be tied together. (2 hots sharing one neutral such as for a disposer/ dishwasher)
    While it is not required on multiwire circuits when the devices are not on the same yoke, it is 'better' that way. With a double pole breaker tied together, you remove power from both hots, meaning no current through the shared neutral, meaning no sparking when working on the circuit and taking the neutral apart.

Also, while not required for 120 volt non-multiwire circuits, there is nothing inherently wrong with it either. The only drawback is that when one breaker trips, you lose two different circuits. Could leave you in the dark more than planned. But it is not prohibited.

You did get:
    - white conductors being used as hot conductors (3 looks like)
    - melting insulation on conductors near breaker terminals
    - more than one neutral in the neutral terminals
    - what looks like grounds in the neutral terminal bar or is that the service equipment (it has a raintight cover)

If that is service equipment, the reason they tied the handles together was to meet the maximum 6 disconnects allowance.

Is there another panel inside? If yes, I don't see a neutral feeding it. Looks like that is for the entire house.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

You did get:
    - white conductors being used as hot conductors (3 looks like)
    - melting insulation on conductors near breaker terminals
    - more than one neutral in the neutral terminals
    - what looks like grounds in the neutral terminal bar or is that the service equipment (it has a raintight cover)
    Jerry ,

I hope you aren't slipping seeing as how you aren't a home inspector anyore. Looks like there's a double tap on the bottom right breaker as well....

Hi Jerry,

Changes made in 2008 NEC, 210.4 requires simultaneous disconnecting of all ungrounded conductors of multiwire branch circuits.

Corey

Last edited by Corey Friedman; 09-19-2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    Jerry ,

I hope you aren't slipping seeing as how you aren't a home inspector anyore. Looks like there's a double tap on the bottom right breaker as well....

Brandon,

That's where a melted white conductor is ... didn't think I had to point that out once I pointed out that conductor, but ... I guess I should have.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Friedman View Post
    Changes made in 2008 NEC, 210.4 requires simultaneous disconnecting of all ungrounded conductors of multiwire branch circuits.

FINALLY!

I missed that in going through changes to the 2008 NEC, thank you for bringing that to my attention.

I have *always* felt it should have been that way, forget the "same yoke" stuff.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Unhappy Re: 240 volt double pole breakers

Looks like the main is double tapped also,look at the right side looks like a black hot coming out of the lug.