Default We have been had - big time !

Taxpayers, the great middle class, are now on the hook to underwrite massive losses resulting from the incredible greed and blind opportunism of the mortgage and banking industries. They tell us they couldn’t possibly have known this crisis was coming even though it was obvious to any category 5 moron.

All across our country professional home inspectors knew it, most of the real estate agents knew it, and the appraisers to a man knew it as they came in with pre-determined values “as instructed” or not get any work. The question that begs asking is just how much of the bailout will further fill the pockets of the crooks posing as executives whose fingerprints are all over the outrageous mess we are all now in? Stay tuned.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Default Re: We have been had - big time !

Jerry Are you being just a little bit cynical?It's much worse that you say!

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Ron Bibler Guest

I Don't under stand. did something happen when i was out to lunch?

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    did something happen when i was out to lunch?

Well, ... ... you've been "out to lunch" for a long time ...

Sorry, Ron, could not resist. Your set up line was soooo perfect ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

What's a Few Trillion Dollars among Constituents.

Estimated cost of $ 3,700.00 for Every Man, Woman and Child in US.

( In 2005 Banking Reform was defeated in the House.)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

You can thank G Bush senior for starting this years ago, and funny how him and all his cronies are the ones who scored big on our losses as well as being controlling stockholders of all the munitions manufacturing plants building bombs we are also paying for as well as jerking the Saudi poles under the table for oil payoffs.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Well, ... ... you've been "out to lunch" for a long time ...

Sorry, Ron, could not resist. Your set up line was soooo perfect ...
    This happens every time i sit down for lunch. and BAM something happens.

As they say ignorance is bliss...

But as long as our Congress keeps spending money we just don't have... Things like this will keep happening over and over and over and then one day... well you known how the story will end.

Best

Ron

P.S. Jerry I will keep setting things up for you

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 09-20-2008 at 08:08 PM.

I'm a half-wit and I saw this coming 4 years ago.
    Amazing how none of the politicians talk about mortgage fraud and the affects on Freddie, Fannie and others. Maybe that's because then they would have to admit that there is minimal resources or effort in place to prosecute, deter and recover losses.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    What's a Few Trillion Dollars among Constituents.

Estimated cost of $ 3,700.00 for Every Man, Woman and Child in US.

( In 2005 Banking Reform was defeated in the House.)

Controlled by the Democrats if memory serves!

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Ghent View Post
    Controlled by the Democrats if memory serves!
    The last outgoing democratic president left us with a 2 1/2 trillion dollar surplus. Oh, by the way, we are not a few trillion in debt. With the Bail outs of Freddy, Fanny, AIG and others and the billions that we have spent every month on the wars (they don't count that as all our debt) we are about 6 trillion in debt. Now. How much is that per person with the 6 plus billion people on the planet Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    The last outgoing democratic president left us with a 2 1/2 trillion dollar surplus. .
    Don't believe everything you read Ted.

I followed the so called " Surplus " Cooking the Books closely. ( non existent and using predictions of future Tax increases and growth as collections.)

The Treasury auction off ( I. O . Us ) Treasury notes every Monday morning to the highest bidder.

During the ( Pre Election) if we had a 2 1/2 trillion dollar " Surplus " why Auction Billions of dollars in short term notes Every Monday Morning ( unless you have a cash Flow problem.)

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Ted Menelly Guest

Don't believe everything you read Ted.

I followed the so called " Surplus " Cooking the Books closely. ( non existent and using predictions of future Tax increases and growth as collections.)

The Treasury auction off ( I. O . Us ) Treasury notes every Monday morning to the highest bidder.

During the ( Pre Election) if we had a 2 1/2 trillion dollar " Surplus " why Auction Billions of dollars in short term notes Every Monday Morning ( unless you have a cash Flow problem.)
    Oh, I think there was a we bit more to it than that but that wasn't my point. The fact is you can look at it anyway you want. We had a 2 1/2 trillion dollar surplus and now we are 6 trillion in debt. Real debt. Not the make believe few trillion they are trying to pass off.

Please don't think I am backing the dems or repubs. Real Debt. Real problems. Real mess.

Tell me why a company as large as AIG needed 85 BILLION dollars in such a hurry or they would have had to close their doors.

That's 85,000,000,000.00 dollars or they would have had to close their doors. You tell me who is screwing who and getting away with it.

I guess if I go to Vegas tomorrow and lose 20,000.00 I can go to uncle Sam and have him bail me out because I gambled and lost.

Oh, I think there was a we bit more to it than that but that wasn't my point. The fact is you can look at it anyway you want. We had a 2 1/2 trillion dollar surplus and now we are 6 trillion in debt. Real debt. Not the make believe few trillion they are trying to pass off.

Please don't think I am backing the dems or repubs. Real Debt. Real problems. Real mess.

Tell me why a company as large as AIG needed 85 BILLION dollars in such a hurry or they would have had to close their doors.

That's 85,000,000,000.00 dollars or they would have had to close their doors. You tell me who is screwing who and getting away with it.

I guess if I go to Vegas tomorrow and lose 20,000.00 I can go to uncle Sam and have him bail me out because I gambled and lost.
    Sorry Ted ,

There was not A Surplus ( only Pre Election Hype.)

As far as AIG no money has change hands it's a bridge loan ( Line of credit ) with any transferred funds lent at a high interest rate and relinquishing a percentage of the Company ( up to 80 % )

The Federal Government is the largest borrower of available funds on the Planet.
    One reason for the 401 withdrawal penalty ( they want to be able to borrow it not you use it. )

They will back the Bail Out with IOU and free up the Borrowing Base of real cash so they may tap it.

Treasury Secretary all over the talking Heads Shows.

" It's Not The Stock Market that's the Problem, It's what's happening that no body can See on The Credit Market that's the Problem. Banks quit Loaning Banks Money."

Agreed on either Party caring about anything but Themselves.

Billy,

What I think Ted is saying (he will correct me if I am wrong) is that BOTH parties "cook the books to their best advantage", and, *after cooking the books to their best advantage*, one comes up with 2-1/2 trillion in surplus and the other comes up with 3+ trillion in debt ...

... AFTER THEY HAVE COOKED THE BOOKS TO REFLECT THE BEST THEY CAN ...

Now THAT is scary.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Billy,

... AFTER THEY HAVE COOKED THE BOOKS TO REFLECT THE BEST THEY CAN ...

Now THAT is scary.
    It's All The same Results.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ted Menelly Guest

Sorry Ted ,

There was not A Surplus ( only Pre Election Hype.)

As far as AIG no money has change hands it's a bridge loan ( Line of credit ) with any transferred funds lent at a high interest rate and relinquishing a percentage of the Company ( up to 80 % )

The Federal Government is the largest borrower of available funds on the Planet.
    One reason for the 401 withdrawal penalty ( they want to be able to borrow it not you use it. )

They will back the Bail Out with IOU and free up the Borrowing Base of real cash so they may tap it.

Treasury Secretary all over the talking Heads Shows.

" It's Not The Stock Market that's the Problem, It's what's happening that no body can See on The Credit Market that's the Problem. Banks quit Loaning Banks Money."

Agreed on either Party caring about anything but Themselves.
    The collateral for the 85 billion (in case AIG screws up with that line of credit) is the insurance end of AIG which is worth (at the moment about 79 to 80 Billion.

As far as the hype thing Billy. The republicans (counting that money like they count money today) even say there was a 2 1/2 trillion dollar surplus. The hype is the talking heads that are trying to discount it. They refuse to count the money then as the government is counting the money now. The reality is no matter how you count the money and whether one wants to count it as real or make believe (because it is all make believe) the surplus was there. And no. I am neither a republican or a democrat. I don't just listen to the repub money men or just the dem money men. If you count money then as they count it now there was a surplus.

The debt from the billions that we have spent on the wars is not counted as debt by the government. Yes it is debt. It just depends on how you count the money. Fanny and Freddy are not counted as debt. If they go thru massive decline with countless loans defaulting I think I would call that debt.

All the money folks have been and still are taking my trip to Vegas and losing the 20,000.00 and borrowing on that loss (just an example) and calling the 20,000.00 they borrow a line of credit and not a debt. When the 20 can't get paid back , well, that was gambling. No matter. The original 20 was real. They take that 20 and gamble with it again and call it an investment. When the investment falls thru then they might just call it a debt. They never count the original money just the borrowed money a debt or loss.

I guess what I am saying is none of this money is real Billy. These are all just make believe transactions. Problem is that when the big boys screw up (and they have big time) including the government they just take more make believe money and bail themselves out. You just cannot do this crap forever. A loaf of bread cannot come to a cost of 10.00 either. That 150,000.00 home that is now 700,000 is the biggest joke this country has played on itself in the last century and that all happened in the last 10 to 15 years.

Sick, greedy individuals all looking for the easy way out.

Tell me about that one. Lets see, an appraiser goes out and puts a value on a home. Next week someone swindles someone else into paying 250,000 for a 100,000 dollar home. The appraiser comes back 2 weeks later and evals a property and sees that the same size home just sold for 250. Now he appraises the home he is in for 260.

Did you see what just happened. The US economy just died and no one new it or cared.

That was a rattle huh.

I guess to much time off lately.

I guess to much time off lately.
    But " The Cow Boy's " are ( currently 27 to 9 ) taking a Big Slice of a Cheese Sandwich.

Ron Bibler Guest

Hey I just got back from lunch. So whats been going on?

Any thing new or just a bit of the same old stuff ?

Best

Ron

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

It's pretty disappointing when so many companies can make so many bad business decisions that affect so many people but in the end get bailed out by the government.

Alan Greenspan said a few years ago the risk on the mortage end was worth it since it allowed more people to get into home ownership. That might be one of worst decisions of all time.

Henry Borysewicz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    It's pretty disappointing when so many companies can make so many bad business decisions that affect so many people but in the end get bailed out by the government.

Alan Greenspan said a few years ago the risk on the mortage end was worth it since it allowed more people to get into home ownership. That might be one of worst decisions of all time.
    They want to socialize the risk (but not the profit). Guess who the suckers are that will buy that snake oil? The dumb American public.

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    You can thank G Bush senior for starting this years ago, and funny how him and all his cronies are the ones who scored big on our losses as well as being controlling stockholders of all the munitions manufacturing plants building bombs we are also paying for as well as jerking the Saudi poles under the table for oil payoffs.
    Not really. This crisis has been known about well before the Bush administration.

Read This

That our leaders in both parties chose to ignore it in the hope that it would go away or at least not happen until someone else but them had to deal with it is sad.

We get to pay for their inaction and failure to act responsibly. Be careful who you vote for.

Michael Larson Guest

The last outgoing democratic president left us with a 2 1/2 trillion dollar surplus. Oh, by the way, we are not a few trillion in debt. With the Bail outs of Freddy, Fanny, AIG and others and the billions that we have spent every month on the wars (they don't count that as all our debt) we are about 6 trillion in debt. Now. How much is that per person with the 6 plus billion people on the planet Earth.
    No he didn't. Those numbers were projected future surpluses based on the rosiest of scenarios.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Larson View Post
    Not really.

This crisis has been known about well before the Bush administration.

Read This

That our leaders in both parties chose to ignore it in the hope that it would go away or at least not happen until someone else but them had to deal with it is sad..
    This a correct aspect of the crisis we now face. But one part is not in play. they all knew of these things long ago. just never did anything about it.

Just as Bush wanted to fix SSI. But he was push back by the Dem-Party. no takers for that issue. Some day the SSI will be a big crisis.

We need to be drilling all over the country for our own oil. but the Dem-Party is not helping in this area. just think if we were putting that 700B we are send to the middle east each year in our own oil and gas we could be out of the mess in no time and all our people would be working and buying new home and all the inspectors would be inspecting.

Im not a Repub. or a Dem. Im an American first. This post is all about America first. If your for America how can you say no Drilling. We will never be free from oil. Why would we want to be free from oil. we have more oil in this country then any other place on the earth. we can never use up the amount we have. I say lets just go get the stuff now. Its hear. its on our soil. If we put $ 50 Billion out for a fed-jobs program to tool up with Drilling Riggs. We could put every unemployed person to work and be up and running in known time. I can figure this much out and im just a small town HI.

Sorry if i got off on this issue. but this is not that big of a deal we just need some one that is on our side to put something like this together.

Best

Ron

Kevin Luce Guest

Just get Bush out!

He talked about him being a uniter not a divider. How we had proof that weapons of mass destruction existed. Standing on an air craft carrier saying that we won the war. During the last election how more people now own houses since he has been president; and like his father, doesn't know anything about what to do when it comes to us, the U.S. citizen. I thought things would get done when it was all Republican when Bush became President.

I like McCain but I'm disappointed on how he's handling this election. In my opinion, he is having a hard time standing on his own. Palin or his wife is standing next to him most of the time and he is being dishonest so he can win this election. I don't believe he is that type of person so he must be getting influenced. The other thing that worries me is that he is great when it comes to foreign affairs but when it comes to the U.S. and what is going on here, I think he is another Bush. Lastly, McCain is not inspiring when he talks. I had a hard time listening to Bush and McCain isn't much better. I want to vote for him but I'm having a hard time.

With that said, I still think McCain can do a much better job than Bush.

Just get Bush out!

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    Just get Bush out!

He talked about him being a uniter not a divider. How we had proof that weapons of mass destruction existed. Standing on an air craft carrier saying that we won the war. During the last election how more people now own houses since he has been president; and like his father, doesn't know anything about what to do when it comes to us, the U.S. citizen. I thought things would get done when it was all Republican when Bush became President.

I like McCain but I'm disappointed on how he's handling this election. In my opinion, he is having a hard time standing on his own. Palin or his wife is standing next to him most of the time and he is being dishonest so he can win this election. I don't believe he is that type of person so he must be getting influenced. The other thing that worries me is that he is great when it comes to foreign affairs but when it comes to the U.S. and what is going on here, I think he is another Bush. Lastly, McCain is not inspiring when he talks. I had a hard time listening to Bush and McCain isn't much better. I want to vote for him but I'm having a hard time.

With that said, I still think McCain can do a much better job than Bush.

Just get Bush out!

If it weren't for Palin as his running mate, McCain would be running well behind Obama but her appointment as his VP running mate has bought him some votes. She gets more press than he does and Joe Biden gets zero press. Sooner or later, McCain needs to step to the forefront. I can't help but get the sense McCain supporters are more jazzed about Palin than him.

Personally, I see McCain as four more years of Bush which I just can't accept. He may become president and prove me wrong but I gotta say I am for Obama (ducking now as I type that).

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    If it weren't for Palin as his running mate, McCain would be running well behind Obama but her appointment as his VP running mate has bought him some votes. She gets more press than he does and Joe Biden gets zero press. Sooner or later, McCain needs to step to the forefront. I can't help but get the sense McCain supporters are more jazzed about Palin than him.

Personally, I see McCain as four more years of Bush which I just can't accept. He may become president and prove me wrong but I gotta say I am for Obama (ducking now as I type that).
    McCain is not for more years of Bush. The sad part is we need to get this country working and fast. Obama will do us no good as HI. Every thing we post on this board is in contrast to what he stands for. you want lower gas cost. Obama say no Driling for oil. with out oil we are dead in the water this country will not get back to work. We can not keep sending 700 Billion over to the middle east... We need that 700 Billion hear at home. I say drill holes all over this land. Heck put a hole in my front yard if it will get our people working and this county back on its feet. Drill some holes... And yes we can drill our way out of this mess.

Best

Ron

Ted Menelly Guest

No he didn't. Those numbers were projected future surpluses based on the rosiest of scenarios.
    Like I said it is all in the way you count the money. Just like counting the debt now??????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????/

As far as the article

Plausible deniability?

This said nothing but repeating the opinion of others. This guy has no true opinion or ideas of his own. For one to come across like he has vast knowledge and should be listened to is a joke. He is just another talking head. This guy new this , this guy said that. Those folks are responsible for this, this has been a mess for a long time (Nooooo, Really???????????)

I think that was about the most useless article I have read in a long time.

I am neither agreeing or disagreeing with him. If he is so smart and knows so much then where are the answers.

Fact is there are no answers coming from him at all. Just the blame game.

He is like just about like every talking head out there. Has a whole lot to say with no substance of worth what so ever with the exception of to those that love to get on band wagons and get excited about ones wonderful thought. Sorry. No thought there at all. Again, just another talking head taking articles and words from the past in snip its and commenting on them with no new or useful knowledge.

Boy, to early to get into all that.

As far as what Ron said.

Yes, drill, drill, drill. It may not help us right now but it will make a difference in the future.

As far as the housing lending. It was not the no money down. It was not making sure that the buyer could really afford the payment at the time of the loan. Most of the time he could not even afford it at the low interest rate. On the down turn of the economy whether you have equity in the home or not if bad times hit them and they try to hold on to their home and get behind a few months then they are going to lose the home to foreclosure anyway.

Don't even come back with "if there was equity crap". Equity or not the home more than likely would not have been put on the market until it was to late and foreclosure would have already come around.

I am for the little guy that wants and dreams of owning a home just like the not so little guy. Because of his income level and inability to save money over time does not mean he should not have part of the American Dream of owning a home. With out the little guy you folks would not own your homes, be making a profit in business if you have employees, have some one to work the loading docks, dig those ditches, stock those shelves at Wally World etc. etc. etc.

The amount that the little guy get bailed out for each year does not add up to what the big boys get in bonuses and buy outs and umbrellas every year and we obviously don't need to mention the bail outs for the big boys now do we.

Get off you high horses (if you may be on a high horse). Look at the reality of life. **** happens. There are a lot of little guys out there that had a dream. The dream was put in front of their faces and dreamt a little more for their future hopes and incomes. Some lost on that gamble. Now, how are they any different than the big boys.

There is no difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

While some of you were working your backsides off in the inspection industry because with the great home sale period I bet you were all saying. "God love the little guys, I am working and making a great living"

Not one of you said "Nope, I am not doing that inspection, this guy cannot afford this home and he is going to destroy the U.S. economy"

You and the loan man and me and Bush and Clinton and every economist is just as guilty as the next guy. Stop with the "Oh boy the writing was on the wall decades ago" Spouting that crap does no one any good.

The dot com boom was great for all of you working and making a good living. The great home sale period was good for all of you working and making a good living.

At the time of the inspection, oops, at the time you were getting the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Just as Bush wanted to fix SSI. But he was push back by the Dem-Party. no takers for that issue. Some day the SSI will be a big crisis.

Huh?

Had Bush been allowed to take SSI private and get it invested into the stock market, SSI would be worthless now.

And you think that is a "good thing"?

Yes, SSI *will be* a big crisis "some day", but had Bush had his way with it, SSI *would be* a big crisis *today*.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

Huh?

Had Bush been allowed to take SSI private and get it invested into the stock market, SSI would be worthless now.

And you think that is a "good thing"?

Yes, SSI *will be* a big crisis "some day", but had Bush had his way with it, SSI *would be* a big crisis *today*.
    Huh, indeed.

You're misrepresenting the proposed plan. Read it HERE(pdf)

"Social Security will not be changed for those 55 or older (born before 1950). Today,
    more than 45 million Americans receive Social Security benefits and millions more are
    nearing retirement. For these Americans, Social Security benefits are secure and will not change in any way.
    "

That gives ample time for a market recovery for younger workers who chose to participate.

You don't own a damn thing with the present SS system. Period.
    It's transfer payment from someone else.

At least if the SS plan had passed (which was voluntary BTW), you would actually own the underlying asset instead of an IOU that the Fed will be unable to pay without additional taxation.

Now did your odds of getting your SS check go up or down now that we have added an unknown amount(somewhere North of $700 Billion) to the national debt with the bailouts this week?

Last edited by Michael Larson; 09-23-2008 at 06:56 AM.

Now did your odds of getting your SS check go up or down now that we have added an unknown amount(somewhere North of $700 Billion) to the national debt with the bailouts this week?
    My odds are better than if the SSI plan Bush proposed had gone through.

NEITHER are good odds.

You say it is okay for someone who is, say, 50, to have lost ALL their SSI investment, because, in less than 10 years, it will recover.

No, the correct statements is 'in x unknown years, it may recover'.

Yes, ultimately everything recovers, but if you are not a 20something with 40 years to wait, you might be in for a big sad surprise.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It was Carter that started the de-regulating in 78 not Bush Sr. It spiraled down hill from there.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    It was Carter that started the de-regulating in 78 not Bush Sr. It spiraled down hill from there.
    Please

Lets not go back into the 70's.

This is this generations dilemma

Late 70's, late 80's, late 90's, now late 2008

No, Jimmy had nothing to do with this. We recovered from his mess a few recessions ago.

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    I think the problem originated back when William Henry Harrison was president. He didn't do enough while he was in office.

WHH
    What do you want in 32 days?..... sheeesh

Jerry McCarthy

Ron Bibler Guest

I say get a rope for Barnie Frank.

Best

Ron

Please

Lets not go back into the 70's.

This is this generations dilemma

Late 70's, late 80's, late 90's, now late 2008

No, Jimmy had nothing to do with this. We recovered from his mess a few recessions ago.
    Actually, it really did begin during Carter's administration

Community Reinvestment Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    Actually, it really did begin during Carter's administration
    Actually, it began with the American Revolution and major problems were created by the Civil War, which was us-against-us.

We are our own worst enemy.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Cool Re: We have been had - big time !

It was all King George's fault and as EC Jerry said..........................

Jerry McCarthy

I bet ya Tony M had something to do with it!

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Kevin Barre Guest

I had wanted to stay out of this, and I'm absolutely not interested in any big, ongoing debate over this. But the facts are what they are, and the fact is indisputable that it is not "only" corporate greed responsible for the mortgage mess we're in. It was also ill-thought out government intervention in the private market. The politicians -- especially Democrats -- don't want you to know some very pertinent facts. Don't believe me? Read this WRITTEN IN 1999: Fannie Mae Eases Credit To Aid Mortgage Lending - New York Times

Very prophetic.

Before you hint that the article or author is racially biased, be aware that he is an African American. And, we all know that the NY Times must be about the farthest left-leaning mainstream newspaper around.

Interesting article Kevin.

Reminds of the saying, We must pay for our sins.

rick

Where's Teddy R when we desperately need him?

Jerry McCarthy

Thanks Rick, I don't understand why all that has not been front page news. Why hasn't The Republican camp brought this to light in ads and TV.

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Kevin Barre Guest

As I said, I'm not interested in a long debate over this. All I was trying to point out was that it is not merely the fault of "business" that we are in this mess. There is blame to go around and neither party has completely clean hands.But as we all know, it is typically considered a Republican fault if "business" fails since they are the party most often associated with business interests -- rightly or wrongly. The Democrats portray themselves as the "party of the people".

You think Joe six-pack with a retirement fund largely dependent on the stock market isn't affected by this?

Social engineering meets free market economics. Sometimes the results aren't pretty.

Ted Menelly Guest

The home loans that are going bad are not from 1993 and not even from 1998. The Hamey loans that are going bad are the loans made in the past several years and more like the loans given in the past three to five years.

I agree with all about bad lending practices. I agree that loans were given to many that could not afford them. I would pretty much guarantee that the loans going bad are from the last few years. If loans already made it good for 5 to 10 to 15 years then they have nothing to do with this mess. They would have already gone bad. A good majority of the loans are also the loans that had low interest then turned into high interest in 3 to 5 years. They did not increase in interest after 8 to 15 years.

Many of the now considered bad paper loans are happening in the down turn or cyclical recession because the down turn in the economy or recession.

Ya know. If Eve just never bit that apple this recession would not have taken place today.

Ya know. If Columbus never got those ships together.

I inspected for a lot of folks that I new for a fact they could not afford the homes they were buying.

I am the one that is guilty for this recession. How about You

Yes many loans were given and accepted that were known to be bad.

In moving, even tentatively, into this new area of lending, Fannie Mae is taking on significantly more risk, which may not pose any difficulties during flush economic times. But the government-subsidized corporation may run into trouble in an economic downturn, prompting a government rescue similar to that of the savings and loan industry in the 1980's.
    Prophetic huh? from 1999.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Prophetic huh? from 1999.
    "But the government-subsidized corporation may run into trouble in an economic downturn, prompting a government rescue similar to that of the savings and loan industry in the 1980's

The key words "Economic Downturn" Economic Downturn will have an affect on everyone and any b business.

Economic downturn as a family where the husband and wife works and the wife or husband lose their job is going to hurt any family and almost guaranteed to lose their home unless that job comes back real quick.

In most medium income families, their savings is just about nill for the absolute vast majority. In most families it may not be a matter of weeks or a month but within a few months of some form of devastation as in injury, job lost, one bad investment, they are going down.

Ken Bates Guest

Rent control created stability. Abandoning rent control allowed greed to inflate value. (people need shelter) We should have voted for rent control advocates.

Those who didn't got what they deserved.

Those who did got what they did not deserve. (they were the moral minority)

Ken,

Would you go to the Top Left and click User CP and Finish filling out your location.

Thanks,

Kevin Luce Guest

Ken,

Would you go to the Top Left and click User CP and Finish filling out your location.

Thanks,

While you're at it, fill out the other categories. That way when a question or statement is made by you, we have a better understanding on how to respond.

I see that many others haven't filled out the other categories. Would everyone fill these out so we can communicate better with each other. I'll be doing the same.

Date of Birth, Interest, Biography, Etc.

Like I'm going to put my Date of Birth on a public message board.

Don't think so!!

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Quote Originally Posted by Erby Crofutt View Post
    Like I'm going to put my Date of Birth on a public message board.

Don't think so!!
    What's your mothers maiden name ?
    Bank Routing information would be useful as well.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 10-03-2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: would

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    Date of Birth, Interest, Biography, Etc.

All we need is your city and state, do not need to know how many times a day you go to the bathroom or brush your teeth.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Following the problems in the sub-prime lending market in America and therun on Northern Rock in the UK, uncertainty has now hit Japan.
    In the last 7 days Origami Bank has folded, Sumo Bank has gone belly upand Bonsai Bank announced plans to cut some of its branches.

Yesterday, it was announced that Karaoke Bank is up for sale and will likelygo for a song, while today shares in Kamikaze Bank were suspended after theynose-dived.

While Samurai Bank fell on its sword, Ninja Bank is reported to have taken a hit, but they remain in the black.

Furthermore, 500 staff at Karate Bank got the chop and analysts report thatthere is something fishy going on at Sushi Bank where it is feared thatstaff may get a raw deal.