Default Anyone had any luck with Angie's List?

Member Benefits1
    Lanny Freng
    Inspection WerX
    "Get the Best of US before your new home gets the best of YOU!"

Default Re: Anyone had any luck with Angie's List?

I've heard really mixed things... as a total aside to our purposes as marketing and such I think Angie's List was flawed from the start since they require a fairly steep membership for consumers.

Of course we all know and most/many of us use Craigslist on a regular basis and it's great because it's..... FREE

Angie's List went in too money hungry and has suffered because of it. By suffered I really mean a lost oppourtunity. Their name is total genius and caught on very well.... but there are some fundemental marketing flaws here. This web address shoudl be the next Google or Craigslist but is dying. I think it's greed and/or poor planning but what the heck do I know.... I'm just a Home Inspector.

Anyhow, as for the OP's question.... I think a select few have done okay for awhile. I've heard that contractors basically get extorted after awhile. Meaning, they get a few good reviews and then 'Angie' wants money to keep it going. This, of course, goes against what they say happens and I can't verify it for certain.

In the end I don't think it's going to make or break you and I think it's a dying business. Just my $.02

Ron Bibler Guest

We have a thing called DIAMOND CERTIFIED. in CALIF.

They call me one time and wanted some money i think it was $ 250.00 for a year. so i ask the DUDE. Say DUDE how long has Diamond Certified been around and he says for a few years. ( what ) so i says DUDE i have been around for 30 plus years why do i need you!!!

I have never been a member of the Better Business Bureau. just not my way of thinking. im sure they are all good but just not my way.

Best

Ron

If you have to 'pay money' to be on the list, it is certainly not 'consumer driven', it is 'business driven'.

That crap in the one Ron posted about "You can feel confident ... in ongoing customer satisfaction research" is bull. If the list is put together by customers, you don't pay to be on it, if it is put together by businesses paying to be on it, customers have no say in it.

It's all called "advertising", the kind you pay for.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Lee Nettnin Guest

I was into it for a while, a customer gave me a good review, and I joined for a year because it was free. Then they wanted money for a yearly subscription. After the first year, I looked in my records and found I had not gotten any references from them and decided it was not in my best interest to join them for another year.
    As others have stated, it costs too much money. They would be much better off to go after advertising for the funds and leave it free for consumers and business's.
    Lee

A contractor friend pays a little over $400. a month to have his name given out ahead of others when members call. He gets a lot of work from Angies list. I know a couple of other guys who don't pay and just rely on the positive posts of members, they get maybe one call every few months.
    I've had a few clients tell me they put me on with positive comments, never gotten a call.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Randy King Guest

I have talked to some of the local contractors, repair-men etc. and never heard any positive feedback from the site. Im sure it has worked for some but I dont think it is a resource that worth the time.

Randy King Guest

Since someone had spoke about craigslist and its free, have any of you used craigslist with any sort of success?

I've gotten a few from my Craig's list listing.

Remember, Angie's List works both ways. If someone is unhappy with you, you could wind up pretty sorry you ever heard of it.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Randy King View Post
    Since someone had spoke about craigslist and its free, have any of you used craigslist with any sort of success?
    I just put an add in. its free can"t hurt.

Best

Ron

I've been a consumer member of Angies List for several years. I believe it costs $40 a year to join. That gives you the ability to check the list (reviews of home services sent in by consumers of those services) for contractors.

I used it mainly to give unbiased contractor referrals to my home inspection clients who were desperate to find a decent roofer, mason, carpenter, handyman, etc. I'm sure it violates Angie's guidelines but, if a client asks, I will do a search for 'A' rated contractors within a 10 mile radius of their home when they need a contractor. I print the results to a pdf with SmartSoft and then email to my client. It has proven to be quite helpful for many of my clients.

It's nice to put a degree of separation between myself and the contractor when giving a referral. That way I provide an important service to my client but limit any negative feedback if something goes wrong with the repair/improvement/alteration.

Angies List will provide a contractor/member with fliers that they can give to their clients that promote membership in Angies List. Only an Angies List member can make post a review of a contractor. I have gotten about 6 or 7 glowing reviews on Angies List and now (for about $2,000) I will be on the first page and highlighted when anyone checks The List for a home inspector in my defined coverage area.

I have gotten some inspection work from consumers who have used Angies List to search for an inspector. I think for most HI's it's worth it to join as a consumer member and to cultivate 'A' ratings from clients. But unless you have a big advertising budget it may not provide a good ROI for the $2000 it costs to get a top billing on the List.

Service Magic provides a similar service but it is free to the consumer. The contractor (home inspector in our cases) pays about $12 per lead. That way you don't pay unless a consumer is actively looking for a inspection. However the problem with Service Magic is the quality of the leads. I get a text message when the Service Magic user clicks on the Home Inspection link on Service Magic's website. I call them back quickly but get very few leads and few of those result in booked inspections.

I haven't posted here in several months...can you tell it's slow? I was steadily knocking down 8 to 10 inspections a week until the last 2 weeks or so and biz has just dropped off the table. Folks are finally spooked and pulling back. We were truly blessed in the center city area of Chicago, there were still a lot of buyers out there, but it feels like we're finally experiencing the results of the financial and political misfeasance of the last decade or more. Good luck to all.

Dan Cullen
    Independent Certified Licensed Home Inspections Chicago

Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL

Ted Menelly Guest

As far as Service Magic I use to get a lot of calls and about min of 60 up wards of 75% of the inspections from those calls.

Now (it is slow) I do not get many calls at all. The calls I do get, and they text message and email info as well, they are already talking to one of the other inspectors. It does not matter if I am sitting in front of the computer with my phone next to me, they are always already talking to one of the other inspectors. I also have found that the leads are absolute junk lately. The callers are strictly price shopping. I send emails to the potential clients as well. More than half the time you never get a return phone call or answer back to your email. The service has seriously gone down hill and I am about to drop them altogether.

I did recently join Craigslist. No calls in the few weeks I have been with them but the hits from google are about 10 and the visitors are 44 and 2 ratings. It is free and the hits from google are Always good even if you do not get the calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cullen View Post
    It's nice to put a degree of separation between myself and the contractor when giving a referral.
    Maybe you can make that a 1/2 degree of separation because *you* make the referral, and should something 'go wrong', *you* will be partially on the hook, and for no compensation either.

That way I provide an important service to my client but limit any negative feedback if something goes wrong with the repair/improvement/alteration.
    There is that 1/2 degree of separation - no negative publicity on Angie's List.

But don't think that counts for anything should something happen and your name is second on the list of defendants, just below the contractor's name.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

FWIW and IMHO the best PR is the world for HI's is word-of-mouth. I build a very successful inspection business on that pricipal and have also done the same in the world of litigation support. You do a good job, folks remember. They also remember a bad job.
    I recall a great quote from a friend of mine: "No one remembers a cheap price. Everyone remembers a cheap job."

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Many may think the "Angie" is just some housewife sitting at home with a computer full of reputable service people, but in actuallity it is a muli-million dollar company that has found a way generating income from the use of the internet.

Like Jerry said, if it was a free site that we could a part of I'd jump at the idea. But to have to pay to be on the list is not much of a referral program I care to be on.

Send me a few bucks every month and I'd tell everyone your a nice guy too.

rick

David Macy Guest

I just wanted to share my experiences with Angie's list.

First I use my membership when I want to hire someone for my own home.

$45 value and hired a heating contractor & air duct cleaning service. Saved $500 from my membership. Both contractors were above average customer service and at a fair price.

Second when my clients need a referral I give them at least 3 names so they are choosing the contractor.

No liability as they are choosing from the three.

Angie's list has been my best referral this year. 20% of my inspections.
    I pay 100 a month to advertise.

It beats the yellow pages by far.

I have about 20-25 reports all with A ratings form past Angie's clients.
    It is the ratings, awards and coupons that attracts the clients.

I usually get a better client, wants all services I do and the homes are typically in better shape.

I achieved the Angie's 2007 super service award and use these for marketing as I have permission to use the logo.

Less then 5% of all contractors have achieved this award.

It has worked out great for me and feel it has been well worth the investment.

Jerry,

Where is the liability in forwarding a couple of dozen contractor's names from Angies List to a client? I don't see it.

Angies List is the source of the referrals, not me. I am just a conduit of the information and trying to provide an additional service.

Aren't you tired of living life in fear of lawsuits? Doesn't the 'reasonable man' doctrine come into play?

Who the heck would get out of bed and go do a home inspection with that kind of fear-based mindset?

I think that my 10 years in the business and 4000 inspections without a hint of a lawsuit speak for themselves. I appreciate your sage advice as always but you're off the mark.

Dan Cullen

Dan

Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL

Maybe it's a regional thing. I just joined them last week.
    Over the past 4 months I've gotten 4 inspections from them.
    3 were before I joined. One was today after I joined
    From what I understand, a customer, thats an angies member can post a comment about your service, [ good or bad. ] then your listed.
    Last I checked there were 40 plus AZ Inspectors listed.
    After your listed, is when they call and ask if you want to advertize with them ,if you do join it helps you stay at top of the list.

Steven Meyer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    From what I understand, a customer, thats an angies member can post a comment about your service, [ good or bad. ] then your listed.

After your listed, is when they call and ask if you want to advertize with them ,if you do join it helps you stay at top of the list.
    So, if you pay, you go to the "top" of ths list??? So much for an unbaised web sight $$$ equals "a good report??"

Things getting a little tough for you down there?? What about your "I get all my business by referrals". That running out for you??

What's next for you, Craigs list or e-bay?

Steven Meyer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    If you have to 'pay money' to be on the list, it is certainly not 'consumer driven', it is 'business driven'.

That crap in the one Ron posted about "You can feel confident ... in ongoing customer satisfaction research" is bull. If the list is put together by customers, you don't pay to be on it, if it is put together by businesses paying to be on it, customers have no say in it.

It's all called "advertising", the kind you pay for.
    Ya got that right!!! PAID ADVERTISING Has little or nothing to do with customer satisfaction. Kinda a fraud on their part!!

Do you "believe" everything you read in "Consumers Report"? I don't!!

Ted Menelly Guest

I tried Craigs list but it seems that folks will look for termite inspection/treatment or pest control but I did not get calls on home inspections.

Steven Meyer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post

This is nothing more than joining the BBB, except it's on line.

Pay to play, if you screw up, we'll deal with it later! No entry requirements, just a credit card!! It is not a gurantee of anything!!! And how many negatives are you "allowed" before you are "bounced out"???

My neice hired someone from this list, and after a sucessful law suite against that person, they are still listed. That's protection "you can believe in"?