Thread: Loft Ladder

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Loft Ladder

The IRC does not say anything about loft ladders in section 311.5. Does anyone know the requirements, if any.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Loft Ladder

I have found that the local dept's allow the ladders but the area above has to be listed as a storage area. Even so I always point out the dangers and recommend childproofing etc to cover my a$$.

Safety Glass ????

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

mathew stouffer Guest

It is a pella sliding glass deck door.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    The IRC does not say anything about loft ladders in section 311.5. Does anyone know the requirements, if any.

Yes it does, the IRC calls them "Stairways".

(underlining is mine)
    - R311.5.3.3 Profile. The radius of curvature at the leading edge of the tread shall be no greater than 9/16 inch (14 mm). A nosing not less than 3/4 inch (19 mm) but not more than 11/4 inch (32 mm) shall be provided on stairways with solid risers. The greatest nosing projection shall not exceed the smallest nosing projection by more than 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) between two stories, including the nosing at the level of floors and landings. Beveling of nosing shall not exceed 1/2 inch (12.7 mm). Risers shall be vertical or sloped from the underside of the leading edge of the tread above at an angle not more than 30 degrees (0.51 rad) from the vertical. Open risers are permitted, provided that the opening between treads does not permit the passage of a 4-inch diameter (102 mm) sphere.
    - - Exceptions:
    - - - 1. A nosing is not required where the tread depth is a minimum of 11 inches (279 mm).
    - - - 2. The opening between adjacent treads is not limited on stairs with total rise of 30 inches (762 mm) or less.

What is a ladder if not an "open riser stairway"?

Not knowing what is 'up there', but based on you calling it a "loft" and it being 'all dark' 'up there', I doubt that it has the required minimum natural light and ventilation, then, as Billy said "Safety Glass ???"

What about "head room", rails (guard and hand), riser height, ... ?

It looks like (to me) someone cut a hole into the attic and maybe 'made a room up there', if so, that ain't good.

If that "loft" is anything more than storage (in which case take that silly ladder down until it is needed, and then have it face the wall, where you go down it away from the wall and not toward that window or door), that "loft" must meet all requirements for habitable space, and, being as it is 'part of the bedroom', you would need two exits out, the first *not being* a "ladder" and the second meeting EERO requirements.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Christopher Gorton Guest

I am guessing also that the wall sconce falls into the stairway opening dimension and may be a height mount issue(cant quite tell from the photo), and that at the top of the stairs there is no switch to operate no light in the attic.
    I am also guessing that the landing at the bottom of that stairway is not large enough and too close to the glass, even if it is tempered.
    Many issues go away by turning the steps perpendicular which of course then lands in the middle of the bed. Murphy would have something to say about that.