Thread: Trade Show

Default Trade Show

I have a trade show coming up soon. This will be my second one. Looking for some insight from anyone that has any tips to increase success. So far got the candy/goody thing covered. I have keychains to give out. I have a power point presentation showing defects and company facts etc. got a table cloth which i ironed on images from my reports with explanations and company logo. got some sample reports for people to look at. And I got a 2x6 banner for behind the booth. what else am i missing?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Lanny Freng
    Inspection WerX
    "Get the Best of US before your new home gets the best of YOU!"

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Trade Show

All you need now is someone who cares

Just Kidding. Sounds like you have things covered. Did it work for you last time you did the show?

Aside from it being at a car show at the fairgrounds (they had a vendor area) so so... alot of old people. Didnt help that we were put by the 1920-1930 cars. Not alot of young buyers checking those out. Talked to a few people though. The next show is at a Realtor show so that should be a lot better.

Lanny Freng
    Inspection WerX

Make sure you materials answer the questions of the participants. Help them understand why your service helps them.

Realtors want different things than buyers.

Realtors want quick turn around, summary pages with numbered and sorted repair lists. They want to know the big item so they can walk away quickly and cleanly if need to. They often don't want to hear about all the little nit picky stuff.

Buyers want a exhaustive inspection to confirm that they are buying their dream with no problems. They are usually not as concerned about turn around time unless their realtor is driving the issue. They are dreading the big item that will cost thousands and kill their dream. They should also be thinking about all the maintenance items that have been overlooked that will fall upon them to repair.

Make sure your materials stress the points that each market is looking for.

I have never had a client ask which assoication I belong to. They ask why me vs. some other home inspector since all home inspectors are the same. Make sure you have a scripted answer to that question in a sentence or two. Practice it until it just rolls off your tongue easily and sincerly.

Give out lots of business cards, to everyone. Many will get thrown away but some will get passed along to future customers.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Hire a local model from an agency. It will bring a lot of traffic to your booth. IT won't bring you any business, but it will bring you traffic.

Look at all the expos you go to - you always go to the booth where they have attractive women. You may not care what they are selling, but you go anyway, pick up the freebies and move on.

Maybe it's me, but unless the target audience matches YOUR target audience, you are using the shotgun approach to marketing - and that's usually not the best dollar spent.

I actually thought about bringing the wife along! I guess in my mind a shotgun approach is better than no approach at all on a saturday afternoon. My thoughts are is if only one person calls for a home inspection or I meet a Realtor that actually wants an inspector that gives a hoot about the product that is turned out it was all worth it.

Lanny Freng
    Inspection WerX

Bud Butczynski Guest

Some of the marketing info I have suggests that you do a giveaway to draw attention to your stand. Everyone throws their business card in a little bucket and you pull the winner at the end of the show and award an MP3 player (not too expensive, but substantial). Never did a show, just thought I'd share.

Yep, as Jack said you need a "Booth Babe"! Thigh high & low cut black dress (2 sizes too small) is usually what you see.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Give away, good idea. I have seen that done before. I was thinking an under the cabinet mount sony radio for the kitchen, something people always think is nice but never go out and buy. I will let you all know how it comes out on OCt 23rd

Lanny Freng
    Inspection WerX

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Yep, as Jack said you need a "Booth Babe"! Thigh high & low cut black dress (2 sizes too small) is usually what you see.
    Shoot Scott

If you think of it, the mass majority of Realtors are Female. He may want to think of a male stripper

Lets see - a car show at the fairgrounds. Not real estate related. Your audience is there to look at cars, and car related products. I just don't see where your target is.

Call me a wet blanket, but you are going to pay an entry fee, buy a bunch of crap to hand out, buy a give-away that "might" get people interested. All this for "maybe" getting someone to come by your booth, that just may happen to also be looking at homes and will need a home inspection.

I just see this a huge waste of time and money.

I did a booth at a local community fair. I belonged to the local business association. The booth was free, but I still had stuff printed, bought candy and crap to give away, and did give away every post it note pad, piece of candy and whatever wasn't tied down, but not only did I NOT get any calls, but I wasted my TIME. Outside of seeing friends from the community, it was a total waste of time.

Our ASHI chapter bought a booth at the State Realtor convention and we gave away a bunch of stuff. While we did talk to a lot of Realtors, they mostly stopped by just to get whatever we were giving away. I think there were some contacts made, so it wasn't a total waste of time. And this was our target!!!

IF you were going to get a booth at a home show, or a home buying seminar, then I might say it might pay off. But a car show? You might as well put a sign on a bus bench. Your name would be seen by more people.

I do hope it works for you - but I think it's just not a great plan.

Hi Jack,

The reason for doing the car show was it was 5 blocks from my house and $20 for the booth space. It wasnt necessarily a make or break deal. It was my first one and I want to make sure I had everything together for future events. It turned out to be a nice afternoon and got to see some nice cars... would I do it again??? maybe if I had nothing else planned on a saturday afternoon.

Lanny Freng
    Inspection WerX

Got it! Not so bad then.