Default Interior or Exterior:Boulder

First of all this is a real photo. Around here huge granite boulders are very common. So far this is the first one I have seen INSIDE the house. I guess it was cheaper to build around it than move it. Nice job, slab right up against it, tile and carpet too. I just have to wonder though, my Radon Monitor was at 7.8 after 30 minutes.........

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Tim Moreira Guest

Default Re: Interior or Exterior:Boulder

I've seen that kinda thing on a custom home TV show. They used boulders as part of the decorations of the room. They even made some fake ones out of something to complete the design.

Tim this one was there by nature, not imported.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Thumbs down Re: Interior or Exterior:Boulder

I can just see some kid flying off that rock into those windows. Safety glass or not, someone is going to get hurt.

Bad idea in my opinion. That rock could have been easily removed at the time the lot was graded off.

Personally I think it was one of those "Rocky Mountain Highs" someone had.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    I can just see some kid flying off that rock into those windows. Safety glass or not, someone is going to get hurt.

Bad idea in my opinion. That rock could have been easily removed at the time the lot was graded off.

Personally I think it was one of those "Rocky Mountain Highs" someone had.

Agreed, design team was "stoned" and left the evidence.

Would this be considerd floor deflection and a "tripping" hazard?

Looks like that tile edge is.

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Kevin Luce Guest

I wonder if there is a spare key under that?

This is one of those things we see which people "custom build a house around" without fully taking in all the effects of it.

Sure, they may have thought "That would sure look neat *in* the house, Mr. Builder, build the house right here, and leave that rock - I want it as a focal point in the living room.", but what about the next owner - I am sure it *adds value* to some, while to others it is a negative aspect and keeps them from buying it.

Maybe it should be called the dying room?

If radon is that much of a problem there, then the radon level would likely be high anyway, whether or not the rock was *in* the living room or *under* the living room, unless a radon mitigation system was installed under the slab.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I agree. The radon contribution of the boulder will be negligible compared to the contribution from the millions of tons of granite below the house (and that nearby hunk of granite called Pikes Peak).

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

$7,000 rock picture. (At the corner of the house.) It has a natural hole worn thru it (horizontally as it now lays). The seller was offered $7,000.00 by someone in that state full of fruits, flakes, & nuts. Now they're after the new buyer to sell it.

Imagine the shipping costs clear across the country.

They have two of them with natural holes worn thru them by water action.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Rocks as such are part of the new landscape gurus.

I seen a crane down the street lifting a rock probably 2 tons or more into a back yard to sit near the pool.

They are charging people here like .13 cents a pound for these rocks.

My wife bought one last week that had some moss on it (which cost more) to place in her gardening area. It weighed 300 lbs. and it was a job in itself to move.

The folks at the rock biz told her to pour buttermilk on it to keep the fungus type moss growing on it.

Maybe one day, old laundry washers or refrigerators sitting in the front yard will come back and be the latest craze.

Rick

I have had many conversations about Radon with many brokers, new and experienced who seem to think that Radon gas actually seeps out of the rocks.
    It seeps through the sand and gravel and around big rocks such as this but not from the rock itself.
    Don't tell me you guy's think it seeps out of solid rock. Please don't tell me that.
    It's a gas from natural burning of Uranium deeeeeeeep in the earth. As it rises, it vents easier through gravel and cracks around rock ledge.
    When it rains real hard the gas has a hard time venting through wet soil so what happens?
    It is directed towards the drier areas under homes so what happens?
    Radon tests during heavy rain periods are higher than normal. Ever experience this?
    Your test results will vary with Air pressure, ventilation, Hot weather , Cold weather, Wet weather,
    So the brokers insist that it comes out of the stones.
    Stone house, WOW Radon Factory HUH?
    I usually tell these brokers when they point out that the gas comes out of the rocks that it also has a certain smell and that if they go out in the yard, bend over and sniff the rock over there you can smell it.
    OH Really they say. Yes, I say, Go smell the rock.