imported_John Smith Guest

Default Has any Texas inspectors picked up any TRCC work yet?

Has anyone picked up any TRCC work since the requirement for inspectors began September 1st? Living in and seeing the damage done by hurricane Ike, its questionable to me if we could even do all of the required inspections. There is obviously going to be a lot of new construction and major remodeling taking place.

Since a lot of damage seems to be in areas with no city inspectors, guys acceptable to TRCC should become very busy very soon, providing people actually follow the requirements.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Darrel Hood Guest

Default Re: Has any Texas inspectors picked up any TRCC work yet?

Hi John,
    By the way, I grew up in Alvin . . . way back when. I am now in Conroe.

My guess is that you are going to be swamped when the insurance payments start arriving. What is the process and difficulty of getting wind storm certified? If I can fulfill that requirement, maybe we can work out a win-win way of helping a lot of folks.

Darrel Hood
    (936)827-7664

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    providing people actually follow the requirements.
    They will find out real quick that they will have too! Utility companies in our area will not hook up the power until a notification by the inspector! I know this is a city requirement but I am sure the same will hold now with the new requirements in place!

Darrel Hood Guest

I heard a news report that Galveston will require a city inspection before they hook up electricity because of the flooding of salt water into homes. In the same report, they mentioned in passing that there are still 20,000 homes that will be affected and the city has 3 inspectors. It seems obvious that Galveston will be seeking help somewhere. This may be another HI opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    I heard a news report that Galveston will require a city inspection before they hook up electricity because of the flooding of salt water into homes. In the same report, they mentioned in passing that there are still 20,000 homes that will be affected and the city has 3 inspectors. It seems obvious that Galveston will be seeking help somewhere. This may be another HI opportunity.
    They are currently only accepting licensed inspectors employed by other AHJ in Texas.

The first group of 100 inspectors are right now being sent in. Many of us who are licensed, but not in Texas, were declared "Not Eligible" because we do not work for ah AHJ in Texas.

Wayne posted that they are now (finally) opening this up to licensed ELECTRICIANS from other states, but not (according to the information in his post) to other licensed Electrical Inspectors.

I'm not sure that Home Inspectors will ever get a chance unless they are licensed code inspectors in Texas and work for an AHJ in Texas too.

This *is not* "home inspection" work, this is specifically "code inspection" work. If you are in Texas and have your ICC certifications, 'maybe' you could get in and help out, 'maybe', but not until they change the way they are doing it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

imported_John Smith Guest

Jerry, the TRCC inspections I am referring to are newly required as of September 1st. This is not a regular TREC type real estate inspection. See below:

Residential builders and certain remodelers are required to register with the commission. Property Code Section 401.003 defines a builder/remodeler as any person who, for a fixed price, commission, fee, wage, or other compensation, sells, constructs, or supervises or manages the construction of, or contracts for the construction of or the supervision or management of the construction of: a new home; a material improvement that either increases or decreases the home's total square footage of living space and also modifies the home's foundation, perimeter walls or roof; or an interior remodeling/renovation project that exceeds $10,000.
    In addition, a builder or remodeler must register each new home, material improvement regardless of cost and any interior renovation where the project cost exceed $10,000. The registration is required on the 15th date of the month following transfer of title; or if title does not transfer, within 15 days after the earliest date of either substantial completion, the project becomes occupied, or the issuance of a certificate of completion or occupancy. Registration of those projects cannot legally occur for projects where there is no municipal inspection unless the inspections required by the Property Code, Chapter 446 occur and are completed and reported in accordance with these instructions.

Inspections Required
    Residential construction done by those builders and remodelers described above that occurs in an unincorporated area or in another area not subject to municipal inspections (Property Code, Chapter 446) must have a minimum of three inspections conducted by a fee inspector, as applicable at certain stages of construction. The builder/remodeler is responsible for hiring the fee inspector. The fee inspector may be either a licensed engineer, registered architect, a professional inspector licensed by the Texas Real Estate Commission or a commission certified third-party inspector.
    The three inspections required, as applicable, include:
    • A foundation inspection conducted prior to the placement of concrete, also known as the pre-pour;
    • A framing and mechanical systems inspection conducted prior to the placement of exterior wall insulation or interior wall coverings, also known as the pre-cover; and
    • A final inspection conducted when the home is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    Jerry, the TRCC inspections I am referring to are newly required as of September 1st. This is not a regular TREC type real estate inspection.
    I know, but that's not what Darrel was referring to "I heard a news report that Galveston will require a city inspection before they hook up electricity because of the flooding of salt water into homes."

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Darrel Hood Guest

Both Jerry and John are right about my replies. In my first post, where I mentioned wind storm certification, I was referring to TRCC inspections.

In my second post, where I mentioned the Galveston situation, I was wondering how Galveston and nearby cities will handle massively overloaded municipal repair inspections.

Darrel

Bob Spermo Guest

John,

I do phase inspections and a have a few builders I inspect for that I had before the new rule. I have not received any requests since Sep 1. Today I went to a builder's Expo and talked to 20 builders. Many are still unsure of the new rule. Many either can't understand it or don't want to understand it! I am taking my RESNET Energy Rater certification course next week so I talked to one builder about Energy Star requirements and he actually admitted that he never heard of the Energy Star program!!

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    Both Jerry and John are right about my replies. In my first post, where I mentioned wind storm certification, I was referring to TRCC inspections.

In my second post, where I mentioned the Galveston situation, I was wondering how Galveston and nearby cities will handle massively overloaded municipal repair inspections.

Darrel
    With licensed home inspectors in Texas.

Eric Shuman Guest

I received the following PDF document via email from TRCC on September 15. I have not looked into it but was told by another inspector friend (hearsay) that the response from nspectors had been overwhelming to the point that they were telling inspectors not to call anymore but to only respond by email.

The document mentions that they are looking for "building code personel" from non-impacted areas but later says they are looking for "Qualified building inspectors" but did not really specify what that meant. I am not registered with TRCC and I do not inspect for the city so I assumed that they were emailing active home inspectors in TX, but I don't know for sure. I have ICC R-5 cert. so maybe that's why they emailed me. Did any other TX home HIs receive this?

Eric

Attached Files Attached Files

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Shuman View Post
    I received the following PDF document via email from TRCC on September 15. I have not looked into it but was told by another inspector friend (hearsay) that the response from nspectors had been overwhelming to the point that they were telling inspectors not to call anymore but to only respond by email.

The document mentions that they are looking for "building code personel" from non-impacted areas but later says they are looking for "Qualified building inspectors" but did not really specify what that meant. I am not registered with TRCC and I do not inspect for the city so I assumed that they were emailing active home inspectors in TX, but I don't know for sure. I have ICC R-5 cert. so maybe that's why they emailed me. Did any other TX home HIs receive this?

Eric
    I think most home inspectors with an active license received it. They are looking for electrical inspectors and home inspectors in Texas and the licensed electricians even from other states.

They need to get the electric on and just don't want to hit the on button until they know where they stand with the massive electric concerns throughout the effected areas

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    They need to get the electric on and just don't want to hit the on button until they know where they stand with the massive electric concerns throughout the effected areas
    Precisely, and the sad part is that most of the electrical inspectors do not know what is supposed to be done once an electrical system/component has been flooded over.

Most will go in there and look at the connections and verify that it is all hooked up correctly and there are no circuits pulled loose.

The reality is that FEMA and NEMA both state that all flooded electrical components (which includes all components in the flooded electrical system) "should be replaced".

Wiring, devices, motors, insulator, metal conduits, boxes, you name it.

If everything was above storm surge and wave height and did not get "flooded" (even if only "flooded by rain"), then that can be left, just replacing what was "flooded".

THEN (and only then) do you check for the other stuff.

I have a suspicion that there will be many (most) flooded electrical components and systems left in place and re-used, leading to failures and 'strange things happening' in the future.

Like the Gypsum Association says about gypsum board which gets wet ... "If in doubt ... rip it out." Same thing applies to electrical systems and components.

If you are not sure that it has been flooded, but suspect that it was flooded ... "If in doubt ... rip it out."

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks for the PDF and the exact pages. I have my book packed that I got 4 or 5 years ago when I took the FEMA certification for floop plain management!

I bet there will be a lot of people that don't understand why! But it's better to get it done now and let the insurance pay instead of the homeowner down the line!

I don't know how much support I will get from the local building official on this one! I'll be meeting with him on Wednesday to go over their procedures.

Ted Menelly Guest

Wayne

What is "floop plain management"

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Wayne

What is "floop plain management"
    This Question From Mr. Typo Himself ?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    This Question From Mr. Typo Himself ?

Hey

I resemble that remark

What's sad is the p and the d aren't even close to each other!

Spell check doesn't work on stupidity!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post

You are correct about the distance from the D & P.

You are Incorrect in that if you * Lightly Touch * the D at the end of Flood and it did not register, continuing with the following word Plain it's a mistake.

Not an indication of IQ. ( Now in Ted's Case ? )

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post

I guess you are an upside down dyslexic