Question Exposed ICF below siding

Yesterday's inspection had exposed ICF at the bottom of siding between siding and soil. What are the requirements and standard types of finish or coating that are installed over ICF that is left exposed. I would like to suggest covering it but I am not sure what to recommend beside stucco.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Exposed ICF below siding

I don't have an answer for all your questions, however, I do have this:

From the 2006 IRC.
    - R404.4.9 Height above finished ground.
    ICF foundation walls shall extend above the finished ground adjacent to the foundation at all points a minimum of 4 inches (102 mm) where masonry veneer is used and a minimum of 6 inches (152 mm) elsewhere.

Not sure you have that.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It's not doing anything usefull above ground so I would recommend trimming it off the expose the required 4 to 6 inches whichever is required.
    Presently it is covering possible Termite access points.

I don't know that I would trim that stuff off, is ICF supposed to be, allowed to be, exposed to sunlight and the weather without protection?

That material looks like some type, or part of, a water proofing system. Right now, though, it is a water collecting system.

At a minimum it should be re-adhered back to the ICF. Not having worked with ICF before, I'm not sure what is used to adhere that in place.

http://newformbuilding.com/BBinstallmanual_3-25-06.pdf Page 39 waterproof and protection mat

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Here is what I decided to put in the report after doing some research.

Insulated concrete forms (ICF) have been left exposed where they are above grade at the south end of the home. Recommend covering to prevent deterioration and physical damage. Various products and coatings are available for these types of applications.

Why not cover it with plastic lattice. Paint the lattice the same colour as the siding. Seal the top edge of the material to the wall with adhesive caulking?

Trent:

I would add this to your comment: Have an applicable contractor evaluate and repair as needed.

Rolland Pruner

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    Insulated concrete forms (ICF) have been left exposed where they are above grade at the south end of the home. Recommend covering to prevent deterioration and physical damage. Various products and coatings are available for these types of applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolland Pruner View Post
    I would add this to your comment: Have an applicable contractor evaluate and repair as needed.
    There is no need to "evaluate", Trent already did that.

Thus, Trent could say what he did: "Insulated concrete forms (ICF) have been left exposed where they are above grade at the south end of the home. Recommend covering to prevent deterioration and physical damage. Various products and coatings are available for these types of applications." and add "Have licensed and competent contractor make all required/necessary repairs."

There is absolutely no need to say "evaluate". First, the home inspector did the "evaluation", in this case that was Trent, secondly, the contractor simply cannot make repairs *without first evaluating what is there*, cannot be done. Even if it's only to put up a single screw, the contractor *must first determine* ("evaluate") what kind of screw, into what substrate it is to go, and what it is to hold/secure in place. Telling the contractor to make that "evaluation" borders on idiocy ... as in the home inspector is stating the contractor is too much of an idiot to 'know that', in which case, the home inspector should not be recommending such a contractor. When the home inspector states "licensed and competent", the home inspector is, by that statement, acknowledging that the contractor will be "competent", and you do not need to tell a "competent" contractor to do that.

Saying that just makes the home inspector looks dumb.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com