Default 4 tips for finding the best home inspector

Just going with your agent's recommendation may be the easiest way, but probably not the smartest. Here are expert tips for finding the best person for the job.
    By Christopher Solomon, MSN Real Estate

4 tips for finding the best home inspector - Buy a House: MLS Listings & Home Buying Tips - MSN Real Estate

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Thumbs down Re: 4 tips for finding the best home inspector

Christopher Solomon is a ass to suggest that a Good home inspector has to have E&O insurance and give a guarantee of the home inspection. How many inspectors out there offer a guarantee? We don't need to debate the E&O.

Default Re: 4 tips for finding the best home inspector

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mount View Post
    Christopher Solomon is aass to suggest that a Good home inspector has to have E&O insurance and give a gusarantee of the home inspection. How many inspectors out there offer a guarantee? We don't need to debate the E&O.
    My Guess Not You.
    No S in guarantee.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Guarantee? What, that the house and all it's components will not have been abused and will be in the exact same condition 6 months from now that they were in for a 3 hour period of time when an HI was there?

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Hanne Moon Guest

"Kuhn's firm, HouseMaster, offers a written agreement that obligates the inspector to reimburse the consumer for eligible repairs that may develop during the guarantee period, regardless of whether it was an oversight on the inspector's part or just normal wear and tear.

An example: If the furnace is working fine when inspected in summer, but doesn't work when flipped on in November, the inspector's firm pays for the repair, he says. "The bottom line is that a good inspector should have no problem standing behind their inspection with a written guarantee for a reasonable amount of time after the inspection," Kuhn says."

I went to his website. This is the stuff in little itty, bitty print. Each franchisee makes the decision to offer this guarantee or not.

(Note: This guarantee may not be offered in some areas.)
    Each HouseMaster Franchise is an Independently Owned and Operated Business

Got a guarantee? "Do you offer a guarantee?" Kuhn suggests asking. Typically, a home inspection is good for the day of the inspection, he says – but Kuhn's firm, HouseMaster, offers a written agreement that obligates the inspector to reimburse the consumer for eligible repairs that may develop during the guarantee period, regardless of whether it was an oversight on the inspector's part or just normal wear and tear.

Obviously a self serving question since the overwhelming majority of HI do not offer a home warranty. A simple marketing ploy disguised as a news or information article.
    Just what does offering a home warranty for a month or more have to do with a quality inspection? Any guesses as to who ultimately pays for the home warranty? I have seen and considered the warranty route but decided as a marketing stategy that warranties were not a road I wanted to go down. To each his own marketing stategy, but to disguise it as a benefit that a "good inspector" would offer is just wrong. "The bottom line is that a good inspector should have no problem standing behind their inspection with a written guarantee for a reasonable amount of time after the inspection," Kuhn says."
    What is next, any good inspector will have at least a half page ad in the yellow pages?

Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 09-26-2008 at 09:10 PM.
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

I constantly have folks contact me to offer warranties on the inspection.

To me this is taking away everything behind a home inspection

At the time of the inspection. Not tomorrow, next week or next month. Offer a warranty and you just killed the whole Home Inspection. Something stops working due to mechanical break down and then what. Some wording in the warranty keeps it from getting paid for and then, what, I have to, not.

I like tip number 5. Stay away from InterNachi home inspectors and/or CMI.

HouseMaster® inspectors are thorough, professional, and report on all the conditions of the home including strengths and weaknesses. And their service is backed by the HouseMaster® Limited Inspection Guarantee (where available). This Limited Inspection Guarantee assures that our inspectors will do their very best on each and every inspection. To review the details, terms and conditions of this Limited Guarantee, contact your local HouseMaster® office.

Herner v. Housemaster of America, Inc.
    Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division.
    Herner v. Housemaster of America, Inc.

The brochure fails to disclose that the 90 day guarantee promised by HouseMaster lapses 90 days from the inspection rather than from closing, information which in this case, at least, vitiated any value to the Herners in the guarantee.

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I like tip number 5. Stay away from InterNachi home inspectors and/or CMI.
    As a "former" member I can see why to would add that.

Michael

Who would want to join Nachi with you being a member? NO BODY!

Michael Larson Guest

Michael

Who would want to join Nachi with you being a member? NO BODY!
    That's how I felt about joining when you were there.

Carry on.

Michael

If they let you in Nachi, they will let anyone. Pitty.
    You got taken for $289, while I got a supposed membership for free.
    I also see Jim Bushart has soured on Nachi big time! The ship of fools.

Michael Larson Guest

Michael

If they let you in Nachi, they will let anyone. Pitty.
    Good bye again Raymond.
    Nice chatting with you.

Michael

I don't consider any conversation with you chat. Good riddance!

Michael Larson Guest

Michael

I don't consider any conversation with you chat. Good riddance!
    Then you won't be surprised that most perceived your booting from NACHI the same way.

Michael

I am never surprised by your ignorance. Anyone with half a brain knows that the Goon Squad aka ESOP operates outside any guidelines of due process, fabricates evidence, and operates with bias and vehemence. The truth never seems to be able to find a niche with myopic, and ignorance being the key values required to be a member.

FWIW I am glad to have been booted out of NACHI, it was a real honour to prove just how corrupt it is and the truth really peeves you.

Michael Larson Guest

Michael

I am never surprised by your ignorance. Anyone with half a brain knows that the Goon Squad aka ESOP operates outside any guidelines of due process, fabricates evidence, and operates with bias and vehemence. The truth never seems to be able to find a niche with myopic, and ignorance being the key values required to be a member.

FWIW I am glad to have been booted out of NACHI, it was a real honour to prove just how corrupt it is and the truth really peeves you.
    OK

Getting back on thread

I do offer the 90 day warranty and recently had a client use it. Got a call that client found water in the dining room on a wall where the dishwasher was. Check around the dishwasher and noticed the heating ring inside had fallen off the metal standoff. The ring had melted a small hole in the plastic enclosure. Client had been in the home a week. Whose owns the problem?

Rather than get in a pissing match, the warranty company picks up the cost of repair or replacement. We all know unless the leak is obvious during our inspection we are not going to see it. The former owners had moved out and they won't acknowledge responsibility. Should the realtor pay?

In this case the warranty makes my company look good, client is happy, realtor is happy and I know I will get referrals out of that real estate office. BTW I am only familiar with the warranty company I use - American Home Warranty.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Not having read all home warranties offered home inspectors, I can only state with regard to the ones I've read - they are not worth the paper they are printed on ... the paper is too stiff to use for even that ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com