Jody Humbert Guest

Default GFCI outlet at jacuzzi tub

When I first started inspecting homes around 2 1/2 years ago, I would view under the jacuzzi tubs inside the framing for any issues. I was seeing a lot of unsecured outlets(GFCI or standard with GFCI breaker in Panel) just laying on the subflooring. I would write this up as defective and recommend securing to framing for safety and call for further evaluation by a qualified electrician. I never could get a reply from the local building inspector. I have since called multiple electricians who have said it is a none issue because the local building inspector allows this. I would appreciate any comments. I'm not going to continue to write it up if I get no help from the trades or local building inspectors. This just makes me look bad and needless money is being spent for evaluation. Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: GFCI outlet at jacuzzi tub

All boxes are required to be properly attached to teh framing, whether the local B.S.A's allow it or not.

Jody
    All receptacle outlets should be secured, even those under whirlpool bathtubs.
    And by the way, unless those tubs you’re inspecting are actually manufactured by Jacuzzi I would stop referring to them by that name. Use the terminology “whirlpool” or “therapeutic” bathtubs, not Jacuzzi which is a brand name and highly protected by the folks at Jacuzzi. The codes refer to them as “whirlpool bathtubs.” See IRC 2006 #2720.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Jody Humbert Guest

Thanks for the comments guys. I will continue to write them up. I am also going to try to contact the local authority and ask why they are not enforcing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Jody
    All receptacle outlets should be secured, even those under whirlpool bathtubs.
    And by the way, unless those tubs you’re inspecting are actually manufactured by Jacuzzi I would stop referring to them by that name. Use the terminology “whirlpool” or “therapeutic” bathtubs, not Jacuzzi which is a brand name and highly protected by the folks at Jacuzzi. The codes refer to them as “whirlpool bathtubs.” See IRC 2006 #2720.
    I thought they were referred to as "hydromassage".

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Gunner
    Hydromassagae works for me but the codes refer to them as "Whirlpool Bathtubs" so that's probably the safest road to travel, you think?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

IRC 2003 - E4102 uses "hydromassage bathtubs", so pretty much either term would be OK if using the code book terms.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

From the 2006 IRC.

SECTION P2720
    WHIRLPOOL BATHTUBS

SECTION E4109
    - HYDROMASSAGE BATHTUBS
    - - HYDROMASSAGE BATHTUB. A permanently installed bathtub equipped with a recirculating piping system, pump, and associated equipment. It is designed so it can accept, circulate and discharge water upon each use.

From the NEC. (any edition)
    - ARTICLE 680 Swimming Pools, Fountains, and Similar Installations
    - - 680.2 Definitions.
    - - - Hydromassage Bathtub. A permanently installed bathtub equipped with a recirculating piping system, pump, and associated equipment. It is designed so it can accept, circulate, and discharge water upon each use.
    - - VII. Hydromassage Bathtubs

They are, then, by most codes and by definition, "hydromassage bathtubs".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com