MaMa Mount Guest

Default Mama has some questions

1. Can someone help me out by explaining why this disposal has these small pinhole openings?
    2. Are the fins on the air conditioner considered excessive from hail and will it affect the efficency?
    3. And aren't some type of covers supposed to be on the valves at the suction line?
    Thank you,

Mama

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Mama has some questions

1. Corrosion
    2. Fins which are damaged can reduce airflow through condenser reducing efficiency. I can't figure out how hail would damage a vertical surface. Damage may be due to corrosion?
    3. Yes every A/C unit I have seen including my own has valve covers.

Ted Menelly Guest

Not to mention th one hole in the disposal is leaking.

I've seen lot's of hail damage to vertical AC coil fins. Interestingly enough, it was on the roof of Heritage Park Mall in (you guessed it)
    Midwest City, Oklahoma.

Think about it. Hail seldom falls straight down.

Fins are soft.

When the two meet the fins bend.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Mama,

As Erby said, I've seen hail damages to fins a plenty. When it hails here, it seems to come from the west and comes in at an angle and never straight down.

Not only do the coils take a beating but you can see hail damages to other items besides the roof such as fences, plastic glazing trim around windows, roof vents, pool equipment, patio furniture.........the lists goes on.

These items can give you a clue to prior hail before you even walk the roof.

I also noticed it looks as if there is a drain line possibly from a water heater that is not elbowed to the ground. Just a observation.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Mama,

As Erby said, I've seen hail damages to fins a plenty. When it hails here, it seems to come from the west and comes in at an angle and never straight down.

Not only do the coils take a beating but you can see hail damages to other items besides the roof such as fences, plastic glazing trim around windows, roof vents, pool equipment, patio furniture.........the lists goes on.

These items can give you a clue to prior hail before you even walk the roof.

I also noticed it looks as if there is a drain line possibly from a water heater that is not elbowed to the ground. Just a observation.

rick
    Good eye ball there Rick. I did not notice that little dark spot.

As far as hail. Well, could be, but looking at the Little pebbles in the soil near the unit it could be a good portion done with those pebbles when mowing and weed whacking.

Don't forget, the pan on which the a/c condenser unit is mounted should be above grade level. Like the one with the hail on it, not like the one with the valves (which looks to be at grade level).

By the way, what is that pipe peeking out from the side of the photo with the condenser unit with the hail? Water heater T&P shooting out horizontally?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry

I think the A/C photos are the same unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Jerry

I think the A/C photos are the same unit?
    Could be, with the angle just right vertically down the side of the concrete pad, making that side look short.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

MaMa Mount Guest

Does this drane line below this sink look correct. Their was a flex line connected to the garbage disposer. It don't look right.

#2. How do you comment or what is the comment I have seen on here before about the white wires connected to the 220 breakers about it being labeled or ident. ?

#3. I am baffled about the wire comeing out of the wall with the extension cord hooked upon it. Why would they do that?

MaMa

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Maybe it was for a porch light. I wasn't at the home, so it's hard to try to figure out stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MaMa Mount View Post
    Does this drane line below this sink look correct. Their was a flex line connected to the garbage disposer. It don't look right.
    #1 Waste pipes must be smooth wall pipe. Corrugated pipe is not smooth wall. Gunk grows and breeds in the folds. Write it up.

#3 Does not really matter why, only that it is wrong and unsafe. At the very least there should be a junction box and the wire safely tucked inside with a cover. The specific location on the house would help to cast ideas about its intended use.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."