Thread: GreenRoofs

Default GreenRoofs

Has anyone yet come across one of these projects. I guess now we'll have to start recommending the roof covering be examined by a reputable Landscape contractor.

Greenroofs.com: The Resource Portal for Green Roofs

Inspection Referral

Default Re: GreenRoofs

So now we have to bring the mower up on the roof with us? F that. I don't cut grass.

1. Roof alive and green system functioning
    2. Roof dead and brown system leaking
    3. or Contact someone qualified in EFVM for verification of system function and let them poke holes in the system to verify it leaks

Watched a special about CAS during construction looks like an awesome building and the technology used is of course, cutting edge

Treat them the same as any other system: What can't be seen can't be inspected...

Last edited by BARRY ADAIR; 10-05-2008 at 06:49 AM.
    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

This is the company I've seen most: American Hydrotech, Inc. - Garden Roof Assembly (Green Roof), Ultimate Assembly, Waterproofing and Roofing

Not their "Garden Roof" but this other system: MM6125® - Roofing Application

It is installed below pedestal paver deck systems used on high-rise buildings, such as elevated walkways, roof pool deck areas, and the like.

Most warranties by most roofing companies of any type only warranty their "material", no labor and no overburden. That means if you have a leak, they will be pleased (more than happy to) drop off a roll of material and some hot mop material so you can pay someone to: remove the overburden (the pavers, the pedestal paver support system, the material which is leaking, patch the material which is leaking, then pay someone to put all the other material back), American Hydrotech's warranty covers all costs involved in making the repair, not just 'here is some patching material, go for it'.

It takes a lot of confidence in your product to offer a warranty which puts you at risk of having to pay for removing and replacing all of the overburden, which is multiple times more expensive than the cost of the actual repair.

Not saying their product is the best, or that their installers are the best (each one I've inspected was 'not being done correctly'), but that they have a factory representative who does installation visits and signs off on the installation, by installers trained in installing their product. That said, it is amazing how poorly those installers remember what they are supposed to do.

In one case, the material was heated too hot, so, after a big brouhaha about it, and with everyone on deck looking at what they were doing, where I was pointing out other 'not correct' work as they were doing the work (you would think the installers would do it right with everyone watching), everyone checked the temperature of the material and said it was okay, so I checked the gage and the temperature was too low - meaning everyone else went back and looked at the temperature gage again, and, yes, the temperature was too low (not by much, still, though, it was "not hot enough").

When you have specially trained installers, the factory representative, all the contractors representatives, along with the owner's representatives on the roof standing there watching it being applied ... and the installer STILL does it wrong, that is ... unbelievable.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Frank Suchodolski Guest

Welcome to the world of roofing! Ignorance is bliss, "I didn't know" is most commonly heard on these jobsites, that aside Hydrotech is almost idiot proof, hence the excellent warranty. And under a green roof or pavers, you want something that is hard to screw up. Most systems work well, 2-ply SBS, EPDM (rubber), or TPO, but you are relying on the skills of the roofing contractor. Green roofs are the future, yes you have to be extra diligent in applying the membrane, leaks will be hard to trace, but if done correctly the roof will last longer and maintenance is not any more than conventional roof system.

Frank Suchodolski, High Profile Roof Care Inc.

Last edited by Frank Suchodolski; 08-25-2010 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Suchodolski View Post
    Hydrotech is almost idiot proof,

Frank,

You wouldn't say that after seeing what I've seen done by "trained and certified installers".

Yes, "trained and certified installers", trained by the Hydrotech people themselves!

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Frank Suchodolski Guest

I shudder to think how bad these "trained installers" are. Hydrotech installation is... well, I thought relatively idiot proof. Prime concrete, squeegee material, embed re-enforcement and squeegee second layer. The temperature should be around the same or a bit lower than tar, around 400F. But lets assume that we have a little better crew like maybe trained monkeys instead, it would work out pretty good, wouldn't you agree Jerry?

I would have sugested that, if they were screwing it up that bad that they stop and get the Hydrotech rep out there before they continue. Or as I mention get the alternate crew (trained monkeys) out there to continue.

Frank Suchodolski Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    So now we have to bring the mower up on the roof with us? F that. I don't cut grass.
    No Wayne, you don't have to mow the grass on your roof, not if it is done right. The idea is to find a local sedum or prairie grass that does not, like grass, keep growing. Finding the right one will require a good local landscape architect.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Suchodolski View Post
    I shudder to think how bad these "trained installers" are. Hydrotech installation is... well, I thought relatively idiot proof. Prime concrete, squeegee material, embed re-enforcement and squeegee second layer. The temperature should be around the same or a bit lower than tar, around 400F. But lets assume that we have a little better crew like maybe trained monkeys instead, it would work out pretty good, wouldn't you agree Jerry?
    I would have sugested that, if they were screwing it up that bad that they stop and get the Hydrotech rep out there before they continue.
    I did get him out there, and he confirmed that they were doing it wrong, and that they had been trained, by him, in the correct way to do it, and he had been to that installers several times to train them - and apparently he needed to train them some more.

When the reinforcement is embedded, it is supposed to be lapped 6" (as I recall, without looking it back up, might only be 3"), not only were they not lapping it, they were not even making the pieces of reinforcement meet, leaving 1/2" to 1" gaps between the sides of the pieces and between the ends.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Frank Suchodolski Guest

Something so easy made so hard, I guess they were trying to save a few cents on re-enforcement. At the prices they charge for that stuff, you would expect a little more than that.