Dave Gilstrap Guest

Default Hardie slate roof tile

Does ayone know anything about Hardie slate roof tile? I am inspecting a home Wed. with this type of roof. I understand some roofers do not use this type of tile any more.
    Thanks
    Dave

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Hardie slate roof tile

The Hardie web site no longer list roof tile as a product. They closed at least one of the manufacturing plants in 2006.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Dave Gilstrap Guest

Thanks Jim,
    I contacted a roofer in my area and he told me not to walk on it and as long as it has no curling or cupping it is probably OK but it will not last as long as it was first thought. If repairs are needed new tiles will be hard to find.

Dave

Dave,

Sounds like you already have your information. The last Hardie installation that I saw around here was probably 12-13 years ago. My understanding was that Hardie got out of the roofing business before the material started to go bad. It is apparently not as bad as some of the other products (Cemwood), but like you already know, it will probably not last the 40-50 years that was advertised.

Still makes a good siding.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

LR HOME SOLUTIONS Guest

Hardie Shakes went under years ago from my understanding and there was a class action settlement for all home owners with the product

Common here in Dallas on some of the finer homes

Regretfully with out the asbestos to hold the fiber cement shake together, they will now fall apart, crack, wont last. Worthless!

HHBP Roof Shakes Class Action Settlement - FAQs

Dura slate was another one that stopped using the asbestos to hold the fiber cement slate together and also failed horribly