Ted Menelly Guest

Default 4 calls in 2 weeks on repairs

10:00 pm and I have received my forth call in 2 weeks about

"You inspected my house and"

This one was

"I have water coming out from under the HVAC unit in the hall closet and it is ruining the trim and wood floors"

I Wrote that the whole system needed repairs of various types. The AC was not even working. No follow up.

"The outlets in the kitchen are not up to code"

I wrote the whole electric system up for bad aluminum wiring, bad panel, bad receptacles, bad switches, no GFCI's

"I cannot shut the gas valve off to the stove"

I do not check to see if 61 year old gas shut off valve works or not it is dangerous.

I asked "Is there anything else I can help you out with Sir?"

He says. "Well, I just think you did a lousy job. What did I pay you for anyway "

I won't bore you with the other calls I got in the past 2 weeks. They are just coming out of the wood work.

I hope the rest of you are not getting the same calls.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: 4 calls in 2 weeks on repairs

Money is problem as we see less and less of it we will see more and more calls like this. hold on. and keep a stiff upper lip. keep your eyes open try to see these buyers as you are inspecting. if you see little things that they are being picky about at the time of the inspection. heads up!

if the agent is on his/her toes. heads up! keep your ears open 2.

Best

Ron

Ted,

Have to agree with Ron. With the economy like it is we should all expect some of these calls more so now than before.

Homeowners think for some strange reason that a home inspection is a "warranty" that everything is in great shape I assume.

When something does fail they don't like the idea of having to pay out on something they just bought.

The fact is most of them did not even take the time to read your report because they were blind sighted over the getting the "new home" if the first place.

I'm sure many of you can agree that no matter what we tell or inform these folks they have already made up their mind or committed themselves to buying the home.

I have one right now that is giving me grief over a foundation which specifically says on my report "In need of Repair" and Call a Structural Engineer to determine and design course of repairs. Now she is telling me that I didn't make a "big deal" about it so she didn't think it was important to follow up on it.

Now after 6 months she decides to replace some cracked floor tiles and once removed she finds cracks in the slab. She is trying to use these cracks found under the tiles against me stating I didn't note them (cracks below the tiles) on my report and think I ought to be paying for the foundation repair. I told her I be happy to see her in court if she choose to pursue it and she should be prepared to pay all of my fees if she should choose to do so as I would countersue her for a friviolous law suit.

Ted Menelly Guest

This guy was not present at the inspection. I could not be more explicit with the concerns in that dump. I highlight every concern in red. The whole report was read. Everything this man brought up was so plainly written on the report it was sickening. I never hold back on any report but on this home I *really* did not hold back (it was old and a disaster). I could not have been more blunt if I tried.

The other calls I have recieved were pretty much the same way. One call was "My dishwasher stopped working and when the warranty company came out they said it was never hooked up under the sink" I just happen to have taken a picture under the sink at a new piece of plywood. Guess what it showed that was hooked up. I am sure all you folks read the wording the guy used for the phone call complaint.

Ted,

That's when you write: Did you see the movie Forrest Gump? Remember the common thread repeated throughout much of the movie? You know, the "Run Forrest, run!" part? Well, pretend your name is Forrest Gump."

forrest gump - Google Video

forrest gump - Google Video

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted I don't know how many inspections you have done, but I have learned that these things always come in bunches. Usually threes, but recently I had five in two weeks so maybe it is the economy or something else, but it will drive you nuts. I used to always cave whether I thought it was right or wrong but no longer. I will try to handle it a nicely as possible, but will tell them what Rick said if it doesn't work.

If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

In a weird way, I am glad to hear this. I have had 3 calls in the past week with people complaining.

One was mad that I did not put the elevation of the house on the report. Yep, he wanted the actual altitude above sea level of the house!

The other called me and put a stop check on his payment because he said I dug up his TV cable wiring out in the front yard. He said the cable guy told him the home inspector dug it up. I had to inform this guy that we do not ever dig up ground...i do not even have a shovel in my truck. My god, where do these people come from!

and lastly, I am dealing with a headache. The guy is mad that the kitchen sink drains under the house in the crawl area. He just doesn't get it that the report states( with pictures) the crawl area was full of water and I was not able to get underneath the home and a plumber should be called out to fully evaluate and repair the system. He feels I should have crawled into the water. He tried to threaten the whole " I am calling my attorney" routine.

I have bruises on my forehead from banging it against the wall!

Ted Menelly Guest

I have been through seriously busy and making extreme amounts of money and have also been through times when there was just no money. I have done so many inspections over the decades I stopped counting years ago and can honestly say I have no idea how many inspection I have done.

But in the mix of all that. Out of the hundreds of inspections a year I have done just here in Texas for the last four years, I have, only up till now, had only a handful, if that, calls of this nature. Actually I can honestly say that the 4 to 5 calls I have had in a couple of weeks adds up to all I have had in the past 4 years. These calls are coming from 6 to 10 months ago. Like I say, or you said, I handle them as politely as possible. Well, not so nice with one guy but doing pretty good.

That is pretty good because I have a serious low tolerance for ignorance.

One good thing is work finally picked back up this week after a seriously slow month behind me.

You know what really makes me sick is they come after you for felonious bull even after you saved them countless thousands in most these cases