Default Hillbilly homestead

After driving down the dirt road past a few double-wides that had seen better days I rounded the corner and I found this little home nestled among some 150 year old hickory trees. I almost turned around and left!

Under that siding is a 125+ year old log cabin.

Outside of it needing a new roof, screwed up electrical by the owners brother and a fancy but improper service entrance drop support it was OK. Oh, and the septic tank failed a few years back so they just ran a hose out to the back yard and into a low area.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Default Re: Hillbilly homestead

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I almost turned around and left!
    But, then you remembered your "Home Sales Are Dead" post from last week and you decided you like eating and staying warm/dry. So, you swallowed your pride and dove in. Just like the rest of us would have done. Right?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Did the realtor state on the disclosure how many dogs could fit under that porch?

Was the homeowner named "Tater" by chance?

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

After driving down the dirt road past a few double-wides that had seen better days I rounded the corner and I found this little home nestled among some 150 year old hickory trees. I almost turned around and left!

Under that siding is a 125+ year old log cabin.

Outside of it needing a new roof, screwed up electrical by the owners brother and a fancy but improper service entrance drop support it was OK. Oh, and the septic tank failed a few years back so they just ran a hose out to the back yard and into a low area.
    Mr Scott

One question

Did someone actually pay for a home inspection on that gem???????? Or where you just looking for a new homestead yourself

I am sure it was listed as "Charming cabin with historical significance" Owner seeling as Is, Minor repairs required.
    "Well, The roofs not leaking now is it? So how can it need a new roof."
    "Deduct what from my commision" ?

There are places almost like that where I grew up in Pa.
    When I go back there to visit and see those places I often day dream..
    What a great way to live, just sit on the ole wooden rocker on the front porch, being entertained by the wildlife, just watching the world go by.
    No traffic worries, no worries about paying bills, no wondering how how I am going to pay for my toys.
    NO TOYS.. Thats when I wake up and decide I guess lifes not that bad in the fast lane.

Kevin Barre Guest

OK, Scott--
    I have to admit to a (sometimes) begrudging admiration for things that have stood the test of time, even in the face of adversity. your little "jewel" falls into that category. But I have a question...is that a 'coon trap near the front porch?

Oh yeah...Are those rafters cedar? They look kinda red in the pic. Just curious.

Whoever lives in that house must be drawing a good check to afford the electricity. I see (2) window units and those aren't cheap to operate.

If this is like similar houses I've done... you couldn't talk the buyers out of it, even with a bribe.

They've decided before you arrive that they're going to buy the place. Everything you say is just kind of like background noise.....

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    If this is like similar houses I've done... you couldn't talk the buyers out of it, even with a bribe.

They've decided before you arrive that they're going to buy the place. Everything you say is just kind of like background noise.....
    What are they expecting???

What do they say when you suggest an engineer, roofer, HVAC, electrician, plumber, sewage, window man etc, etc

That would be my one sentence under every section of the TREC report.

"Too many concerns to note. Please have an electrician evaluate the entire service for a more exhaustive inspection for all repairs needed"

I would not spend a week on the report. I have had a client or 2 over the years when the houses were real bad complain saying that they want to know every single thing that is wrong. When I tell them "everything and way beyond my scope of inspection. Service wires, all panels, outlets, switches, fixtures.......................................all need evaluation"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Barre View Post
    OK, Scott--
    I have to admit to a (sometimes) begrudging admiration for things that have stood the test of time, even in the face of adversity. your little "jewel" falls into that category. But I have a question...is that a 'coon trap near the front porch?

Oh yeah...Are those rafters cedar? They look kinda red in the pic. Just curious.
    Yep, they were cedar logs. And, that is a "live" trap on the end of the porch.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 10-10-2008 at 08:24 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    But, then you remembered your "Home Sales Are Dead" post from last week and you decided you like eating and staying warm/dry. So, you swallowed your pride and dove in. Just like the rest of us would have done. Right?
    Ya guessed it!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Whoever lives in that house must be drawing a good check to afford the electricity. I see (2) window units and those aren't cheap to operate.
    We have TVA power. In a rural area like that, they are paying 6.8 cents per kWh.

Still those units will crank up the bill. The walls on this house were about 2 feet thick so I bet that it stays cooler than most homes.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

This inspection was not for a new buyer. It was for Wells Fargo, the current owner is trying to refinance an ARM loan and Wells Fargo from what I understand is requiring inspections on the majority of the refinance loans.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

This inspection was not for a new buyer. It was for Wells Fargo, the current owner is trying to refinance an ARM loan and Wells Fargo from what I understand is requiring inspections on the majority of the refinance loans.

Sooooo, by the looks of it thay are not getting the refi ???????????

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I have had a client or 2 over the years when the houses were real bad complain saying that they want to know every single thing that is wrong. When I tell them "everything and way beyond my scope of inspection. Service wires, all panels, outlets, switches, fixtures.......................................all need evaluation"[/FONT]
    I thought that's why you were there?

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by neal lewis View Post
    I thought that's why you were there?
    That was just a broad comment. I have been into a few homes that there was nothing that did not need writing up. I would get to a particular point and then just refer it out. When the service, panels most outlets, fixtures switches etc are all bad just say exactly that. It is all inclusive

If I am inspecting the HVAC system ans find a slew of concerns I name many and stop there saying that the entire system needs a thorough evaluation and repair from a competant, licensed HVAC company. There is absolute no reason in going on forever once you reach a certain poiunt.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 10-11-2008 at 07:07 AM.

So Neal,Just as an example.
    House is being lived in. Lots of furniture.
    If you find 3 reverse polarity outlets and a few open boxes do you as well as what appears to be some homeowner style fixture installs,
    DO you go futher and check every outlet in the home as well as figure out where the cause of the reverse polarity is?
    Do you move furniture, etc, to check every outlet?
    Or are you the electrician?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    they want to know every single thing that is wrong.

Ted,

That's when you tell them: "Yes. That is what I said.", they then say "Huh? What did you just say?", you reply "I said 'Every single thing is wrong.', just like you said."

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Wink Re: Hillbilly homestead

Refresh my memory Scott, why did you move to TN?

I've never been there - is this a sampling?

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    Refresh my memory Scott, why did you move to TN?

I've never been there - is this a sampling?
    No state income tax. Low property tax. Low insurance cost. If your child has a 3.0 average when they graduate high school they can attend any 4 year TN state university for free (Thanks to the Lottery).

That little beauty is just a sample of what you can find in some of the rural areas. Not really unique to TN, but I must say that I have found more than I ever found while living and working in MS.

All in all TN has turned out to be a very nice home for us. Now, if I could have just got those referrals from 11 years I left back in MS to have moved with me to TN, everything would have been perfect!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

No state income tax. Low property tax. Low insurance cost. If your child has a 3.0 average when they graduate high school they can attend any 4 year TN state university for free (Thanks to the Lottery).

That little beauty is just a sample of what you can find in some of the rural areas. Not really unique to TN, but I must say that I have found more than I ever found while living and working in MS.

All in all TN has turned out to be a very nice home for us. Now, if I could have just got those referrals from 11 years I left back in MS to have moved with me to TN, everything would have been perfect!
    Then one day while he was shootin at some food, up from the ground came a bubblin..........................................

Obviously its time again for review of real estate agent's glossary of definitions:

RUSTIC CHARM: needs major structural repairs.

EASILY MAINTAINED: requires a minimum of 2 gardeners and a live-in maid.

SECURITY SYSTEM: current owners have dog they’re willing to sell with house.

SCENIC VIEW: of your neighbor’s pool.

CUTE and/or ENCHANTING: tiny

MOTIVATED SELLERS: house has been on the market for 3 years.

WIDE OPEN FLOOR PLAN: owner removed several interior-bearing walls.

SPRAWLING RANCH: horrible floor plan.

WINE CELLER: dingy–moldy room used to store bulk purchases from Costco.

PARK LIKE SETTING: There’s a tree down the block on the left.

CHARMING: tiny. (see “cute” and/or “enchanting.”

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant