Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Girder support

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    885

    Default Girder support

    In Virginia, I had a builder's warranty inspection on a house built under IRC 2006, 1 year old, 6x6 PTW piers on concrete (cleated at bottom) support a triple 2x10 floor girder. Most of the piers are not completely under the girder, some do not appear to be plumb, and there is nothing except maybe a couple of nails tying the girder to the piers. The IRC doesn't appear to say much about Girders on wood piers, at least not where I've looked. Anyone have better info on the subject?

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral SOC
    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

  2. #2
    Scott Murdock's Avatar
    Scott Murdock Guest

    Default Re: Girder support

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    In Virginia, I had a builder's warranty inspection on a house built under IRC 2006, 1 year old, 6x6 PTW piers on concrete (cleated at bottom) support a triple 2x10 floor girder. Most of the piers are not completely under the girder, some do not appear to be plumb, and there is nothing except maybe a couple of nails tying the girder to the piers. The IRC doesn't appear to say much about Girders on wood piers, at least not where I've looked. Anyone have better info on the subject?

    I don't know about Virginia but in our area you need seismic approved hardware to attach the girder joist to the piers. Look in code check and they have a nice pic of how it should look. Nails are not enough. Hard to tell by your pic but I hope that pier isn't in direct contact with the soil you need at least 8 inches before contact with the soil.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: Girder support

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Murdock View Post
    I don't know about Virginia but in our area you need seismic approved hardware to attach the girder joist to the piers. Look in code check and they have a nice pic of how it should look.
    From the IRC. (underlining and bold are mine, note that Virgina is all Seismic Categories A and B as best I can tell)
    - R301.2.2 Seismic provisions. The seismic provisions of this code shall apply to buildings constructed in Seismic Design Categories C, D0, D1 and D2, as determined in accordance with this section. Buildings in Seismic Design Category E shall be designed in accordance with the International Building Code, except when the seismic design category is reclassified to a lower seismic design category in accordance with Section R301.2.2.1.
    - - Exception: Detached one- and two-family dwellings located in Seismic Design Category C are exempt from the seismic requirements of this code.

    Note that Seismic Categories A and B are not covered by the seismic requirements.

    Also note that detached one- and two-family dwellings are exempt from the seismic requirements of the IRC.

    Which means that the seismic requirements of the IRC are therefore only applicable to townhouses and "in Seismic Design Categories C, D0, D1 and D2, as determined in accordance with this section." and in "Buildings in Seismic Design Category E shall be designed in accordance with the International Building Code".


    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,479

    Default Re: Girder support

    Stuart,

    I doubt that Virginia is seismic country, so it would be up to your local building department to determine that. It seems to me that the posts should fully support the built-up girder. Hardware would certainly be nice.

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: Girder support

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    It seems to me that the posts should fully support the built-up girder.
    The girder should be centered over the post.

    In my areas the post would need to be tied down and the girder tied down to the post and the girder tied down to ... etc., however, is other areas the center supports are allowed to be as such ...

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,479

    Default Re: Girder support

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The girder should be centered over the post. In my areas the post would need to be tied down and the girder tied down to the post and the girder tied down to ... etc., however, is other areas the center supports are allowed to be as such ...
    Stuart,

    Both JP and I live in areas where homes (well, actually, any building) are likely to be subject to significant shear forces. In JP's area, the wind tries to blow the houses to Kansas, Here, the ground is trying (rather successfully) to move north. In both cases, securing the posts to the girders and piers is necessary. The question would be whether or not it is required in your area.

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •